Author Topic: 6 month old awake (WIDE awake) at 4 am, every night!  (Read 22535 times)

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
Re: 6 month old awake (WIDE awake) at 4 am, every night!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 21:52:06 pm »
Thanks so much. It really is difficult to hear him cry so, as he never was much of a crier before. It's those pauses that I've been using as a cue that he is taking a few seconds to self-sooth, and possibly to see whether I"ll come in. Interesting. Hopefully tonight will go well. I've tried to get rid of the 45-minute catnap around 5 pm, but it's not working out. I'll have to play with the earlier part of our day, as he ends up being awake for about 5 hours the way things are falling right now. I've tried to keep him awake for longer than 2.25 hours, but he does his sleep cues right around that time; any more A time and he has a meltdown. :P

Hopefully tonight we'll be up for less than last night. Progress would do a great deal for my spirits!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 01:04:30 am »
Here's hoping for a progress night!
 :-*
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 13:38:43 pm »
I tried something entirely different last night. Maybe you can tell me whether it's a good idea or not. I skipped the DF at 11, so was able to get to bed nice and early. When our DS woke up at 2, I changed and fed him. He then went right to sleep on his own in his crib, no fussing at all. Is it a bad idea to start a night feeding over 2 months after we eliminated it? I feel as though I'm cheating, but it allows me to get to bed earlier, and might very well eliminate the over-an-hour long NW every night. What do you think??

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 15:39:02 pm »
Is he on solids yet?  There are some babies that genuinely do need a night feed at 6 months, not many but some.  I doubt he needs that feed but it could be that the dream feed was disturbing his sleep.  I would stick with what worked last night for a few days and really watch what/how much he eats during the day and how much he takes at night.  If a week goes by and he is up for that feed, eats well and then goes back to sleep we can work on upping his daytime calories and gradually weaning that one night feed.  Does that sound like a good plan?  I am sure that anything which allows you to be sleeping more sounds like a good thing, right? 

Don't feel as if you are cheating.  You are trying hard and being deliberate about what you do and how you handle things.  You and Charlie need good sleep in order to be able to work together.  Let me know how the next couple of nights go.
 ;D

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 17:53:12 pm »
Your kind words & encouragement really help me a lot. Thank you! We began solids 4 days ago, and he LOVES it. About 80% goes into his mouth and down his throat. I can't believe it's not messier than this (for now, I'm sure).

I will go ahead with this plan for a few days and see how it works out. I feel so much better today. For some reason, it really feels like the right thing to do, not just for my sleep, but for Charlie, too. He's been going through the night without a feeding since he was about 12 weeks old.

Anyhow, I'll post again in the coming days to let you know how it goes!! Thanks!

Allison

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 21:19:40 pm »
Hi there,

Read the bit about irregular naps..is that bad? My son refuse to be regular about his names...and I avoid waking him up for a meal but give him the closest meal as per routine whenever he wake sup...is that wrong?

It has been a bit of a pain because of his irregular naps I cant seem to take him out at any fixed time..also he is a touchy sleeper, if he falls asleep in the pushchair , he will wake up the moment I stop the pushchair or reach home or something. He is probably the only kid who does not fall asleep in a pushchair or car.

Anyways I am digressing..are irregular naps bad? The only thing thats has been working for getting him to nap happily is , to let him play till he gets tiered..stop stimulating him but let him play on his won, while I read to him or something once he starts looking tiered, and then as soon a she gets fussy, give him the pacifier and in the crib and he normally falls asleep...

thanks!
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 00:14:54 am »
Mukta,
Good daytime sleep generally equals good night time sleep.  If you are having nap trouble you should post in the nap forum.  The girls there will really be able to help with nap specific questions.  Are you also having night waking trouble?
Myia

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 19:58:21 pm »
I'm sure you don't need details every day, but it feels better to write about our successes, so I'll do just that. Last night was wonderful. I "tanked" him up as Tracey suggested in her book, skipped the dream feed at my bedtime, went to bed nice and early. Our DS woke up around 2, so I BF'ed him, and he went right back to sleep. A little fuss around 6, with no help required, then slept til 7:30. Wonderful!!! Hope the trend continues. I don't mind the night time feeding at all, as I am lucky enough to be someone who goes back to sleep quite easily.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 22:10:34 pm »
Sounds great!  I hope it continues.

Oh and I certainly don't mind the daily progress reports, especially when they are good!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 10:22:57 am »
Hi Myia,

Night wkaing is not really been a problem ove rthe last few weeks and LO has improved a whole lot, he just is an irratic kind of guy. But that being said last few days have been an absolute diaster, he is refusing to sleep,

But thats is a whole different story for another board.

thanks!
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 17:13:34 pm »
I am glad that nw isn't a problem right now Mukta!  At least you have that, right?  :)

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 08:10:14 am »
Hi Myia,

well NW was sorted out till last night....every 2 hrs he was up, and unhappy..i give up...:(
rough days, have had my in-laws over, a reorg at work, and a cranky baby and an overworked spouse! perfect!!!!

ohh and its cold and rainy!!!

eeeeeeeekkkkkkssssss!!!!!!!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 14:18:41 pm »
I can totally commiserate, mukta. Cold, rainy, my DS awoke 4 times last night, twice to be fed, which is odd for him. But he's about to turn 6 months, is teething, just got his shots on Tuesday, and we started solids last week. Lots of changes for such a little guy all at once! Hope you can plow through the day alright!  :-\

Allison

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 17:03:12 pm »
Mukta,
I am sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it is just a little blib because all that is going on.
 :-*

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 19:19:15 pm »
Thanks, Myia. I hope so, too. I can handle lack of sleep, but my DH has a hard time, esp. with work & school on top of each other. He doesn't fall back to sleep as easily as I do  :-[

I'm secretly afraid that by adding the feeding at 4 am, I've really messed things up. Only time will tell, I guess. DS is in a really great mood today, super easy-going, LOVING sweet potatoes, which I introduced today. So he's not bothered by teeth, vaccinations or anything today. We'll see how tonight goes.