Author Topic: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!  (Read 131501 times)

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Re: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2010, 01:05:08 am »
Heather you are like me! I couldn't bring myself to buy the book since DH is always like, you should of wrote the bloomin' thing LOL! I have taken it out umpteen times from the library as well.  I finally splurged last month and bought it for $10 clearance at our local bookshop. It does make a nice coffee table book too come to think of it!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:01 am »
hey! i have deceptively delicious but i think the cheese cracker recipe Deb made is in The Sneaky Chef?

I love looking at that cook book though. Fortunately, my DS is a good eater but it is good to sneak in extra veggies wherever you can! esp for me, i don't eat as well as DS!
heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2010, 11:45:34 am »
Is this the recipe you're looking for Heather? http://www.bigoven.com/163429-Cheesy-Kids-Crackers-recipe.html

I haven't made them but keep meaning to as a friend of mine swears by them!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline nona

« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2010, 12:49:56 pm »
thanks! i'm sure it is the recipe - there is a comment about adapting from The Sneaky Chef at the bottom. i wonder how she cut out those letter shapes? i've only seen big letter cookie cutters.
heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2010, 18:24:49 pm »
Let me know how they come out - I may try them myself! This morning I made the sneaky chef power breakfast cookies (pretty tasty, hoping DD likes them as a quick healthy breakfast before camp) and her crunchy chicken tenders (plan to give them to both DD and DS for dinner tonight).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline nona

« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2010, 13:38:42 pm »
ok i have not made these crackers yet! but i will!

so my son - who has been a pretty good eater - has started a picky phase. so instead of nagging him to eat the veggies, it is so much easier to just add then into stuff. this will be easier for breakfast/lunch for me than dinner.

i pureed a ton of veggies yesterday (cauliflower, carrots, butternut squash and yellow squash). it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. the hardest to puree were the carrots. i don't think i steamed them long enough. i may have to invest in a food processor. i used a mini-prep and did well but doesn't hold alot of food.

anyway, i made the tortilla cigars from DD & they were very yummy & easy to make. they had squash & carrots puree! couldn't taste it! they aren't very spicy. next time, i'll add some cumin and chile powder.  i used leftover roasted chicken. this is definitely a good way to get rid of leftover chicken.

i'm going to make the egg puffs & scrambled eggs this week as well as the banana bread & blueberry lemon muffins. want to freeze some stuff for healthy snacks.

still need to get the sneaky chef book. might do that later today.
heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2011, 15:34:07 pm »
Just thought I'd revive this thread as I'm having quite the hard time with my DS as of late. I took out the book from the library over the weekend and am making the banana bread (with cauliflower puree) as I write this.

Does anyone have favorite recipes that worked from this book or Sneaky Chef? I'm more interested in foods/breads that the dessert - cookies type.

Thanks!

Offline nona

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2011, 19:45:39 pm »
hey i just bought the newer cookbook - double delicious!

we have tried the chicken & rice soup, tomato soup, butternut  tomato soup and the chicken satay! all VERY good! esp the tomato soup! i will make all again.

im trying the lemon chicken and cauliflower gratin dish tomorrow.

i've made a ton of the muffins - PB/Jelly, banana bread, and blueberry lemon. all great. i eat some, then freeze the rest. banana bread is really moist.

i made the angel food cupcakes - those didn't work out for me but i used babyfood LOL. the blueberry bars were good.

i usually take one day to puree everything and freeze in 1/4 cup increments. it is pretty easy.

heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2011, 19:49:05 pm »
REALLY happy with the banana bread from the first book - super moist and tasty. Course DS wouldn't try it yet though. Maybe it will at least be a good snack for DD to bring to school. She eats healthy to begin with but an additional boost never hurts!

Offline nona

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2011, 20:09:53 pm »
what if you toast it and put peanut butter on top? i thought it was REALLY yummy
heather

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2011, 22:11:39 pm »
my 2 most sucessful recipes from DD are the chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas (in their lunch boxes today) and the pink pancakes with beets (on the menu this week too)

with the cookies - i puree the chickpeas first and this makes a HUGE difference.  alex especially is texture driven and the smoothness is better - even dh and i love these cookies.  also i only use 1/2 the amount fo choc chips. i find DD recipes she goes heavy handed with the chocolate and sugar so have to tweak.

will look through my sneaky chef ones and let yuou know and feeding fudssy kids is an australian book that is similar.  will try to return today or tomorrow (nudge me if i don't)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline nona

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2011, 23:04:32 pm »
yea i think i'd prefer the chickpeas pureed but DS would not notice!
heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2011, 23:28:01 pm »
Thanks Deb!

Heather will have to try toasting the banana bread for breakfast tomorrow. DD is already salivating over a piece for dessert tonight. Yet she's my healthy eater! And  DS is refusing to even consider it so far...

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2011, 00:56:26 am »
I was just going to start a post on 'Deceptively Delicious' since I just found it at the library - so glad to see this here! :D

Has anyone tried to make the tofu with veg puree coating?  I tried it tonight and it just didn't turn out that well.  I'm thinking maybe my puree was a bit too thick? I had to kind of hold it on the tofu as I put it in the breadcrumbs.  It was edible, with bbq sauce for DH and Austin!, but not fantastic.

I'm going to try the mac n cheese with butternut squash tomorrow. :D

I'm trying to stay away from sweets but I might have to make an exception for some of these recipes - glad to hear they're good!
*Kate*

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:49 am »
Going to add this to the Buy list ..libraries and me = fines ::)

Thanks for reviving this thread, Karen!
*Sarah*