Author Topic: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2  (Read 54076 times)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Re: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2011, 22:16:40 pm »
For excema you can buy tubafast dressings they are £15 each but washable, they give a skin tight thin dressing and are best used for days between washing (so they hold in the moisterisers) they come with built in mits which help stop scratching, its not a mirical worker my 2 year old will still scratch and has still drawn blood but can not do as much damage

if your in the UK you can get the on perscription but only if they deem nessesery (sophina was ripping chunks out before they deemed them but now she gets them as and when as she she has to wear them 24/7)

I had a question i wanted to ask in here...

If you have two intollerent children, are the likely to follow the same so my 2 year old is now outgrowning MPI does that mean Alyssa will probabaly grow out at around the same time?

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline smilingforhim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2011, 00:47:11 am »
i know this is a little late, but you moms w/ mpsi, have you tried baby on probiotics? i swear by them! my lo was diagnosed w/ reflux & i went off all dairy/soy/wheat/everything for several weeks to help her. she would scream half the day. it was awful! we'd both cry. a friend turned me on to probiotics though and it seemed from day 1 she started them, i saw improvement. her poo went from mucous snot w/ some blood to normal yellow breastfed poo. now, grant it, i stayed off all dairy until around 6 mo. i did dr. sears elimination diet w/ her in the beginning and incorporated other things in over time, but probiotics have helped her tremendously!

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2011, 13:05:04 pm »
what are the probiotics made from?

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2011, 15:15:20 pm »
Hi ladies!  I have a quick question.  I just started my 11 mo DS on Alimentum formula(long story) anyways, he is now having diarrhea.  Any thoughts on what I should try next?  He is not bothered by dairy in my diet anymore(still gets 2 oz of bm a day), and he can tolerate dairy cooked like milk in pancakes or bread. 

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2011, 19:48:57 pm »
Ive never heard of that milk but a quick google says its simular to nutramegen in that its an extensivly hydrologised formula

Nutramagen says you will have looser poos so it might be the same for that formula?

are you able to get advice wiether this is normal o not?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2011, 22:35:58 pm »
You can get funny poos on some of these formulas. I think it is Nutramigen that they now state it on the can as many Mums were worried by it.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 22:01:19 pm »
We had the exact same with Alimentum here.

Hope things adjust quickly for your lo. Sometimes things just need to adjust in them iykwim.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2011, 00:16:36 am »
Thanks everyone.  I switched to the ready to feed and his poop was better today.  We were using the powder while we were traveling.  Thanks to you al for pointing out that this is common, the nurse at my ped. Office told me to switch formulas. ::)

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2011, 08:15:59 am »
I haven't been on this thread before. J is my 2nd MPSI baby so I knew what I was doing with him this time around and didn't really feel the need to be here - it has been second nature to me this time! ::) But he's just turned 1 and I have just started a dairy trial. And I need to write it down and be around others who know what I'm talking about!

With J I cut out dairy from my diet at 3 weeks old when bf him because we had the first signs of reflux and difficult feeding and he had no traces of milk from then on. At 7 months we moved to Neocate.

So yesterday I gave him cow's milk in a sippy cup. He drank about 30ml maybe a little more and then refused to drink anymore. He usually drinks from a bottle so I wasn't sure which he was complaining about (or both!). Today I put it in a bottle and he drank 70ml. Both mornings he's just been so fussy. Cries and whines and follows me around and is just generally unhappy. His tummy is also hard (a problem we have with other foods including gluten and fruit - but I'm otherwise only feeding him things he has no problems with). His poo has changes to be much looser. Not quite diarrhoea though.

I think I need to press on for another day to be sure. I tend to quit when things start heading bad but then I never have a definitive answer. Teeth don't seem to be an issue right now (he just got tooth #4 last week).

I wanted to go the milk route first because the last time he had any traces of dairy was so long ago. If he COULD tolerate milk it would skip the in between steps. Plus with DD we took the slow route and it did my head in. But if he does fail milk I will go back and try cooked in dairy and cheese etc in separate trials.

We will have to switch from Neocate at some point. I think I'd rather not go to Neocate Advance if I can avoid it. I don't want to do soy and I have a feeling (based on the other things he doesn't tolerate) that coconut milk will be out otherwise I would have tended towards rice milk with added coconut milk for fat. I haven't investigated the nutritional benefits of oat and hemp milk yet though I read someone around here saying hemp milk was fab nutritionally. I don't even know if we can get that here. So maybe we will have to go to Neocate Advance :-\.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
Oh Jenny, it does sounds like he is reacting.  Yes I would go one more day to be sure, you don't want the question mark.

To share the advice I got on introducing milk -   I am not trialling cows milk until 18 months. We have started with RAW unpasteurised goat milk which is perfectly legal to buy.  Because the proteins are not broken down and changed through the pasteurising process they are much more easily tolerated.  Kai is tolerating it  :o    I won't be going for soy.   Goats milk also is higher in fat and calclium.  If you can't get raw, even the pastuerised version is much easier to digest the proteins are different. 

Check out my thread on food allergies board a while back:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185707.0

Buffalo yoghurt trial seems to be going ok.... that is another option which is well tolerated, high in fat and calcium.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:39 am »
hi jenny, i'd be considering that a reaction too but if it were k i would press on for a few more days to get a more definitive answer. (not easy i know :-* ) my only other thought is maybe too much too soon? although 70ml isnt a lot, it is for someone who has never had it. i'm about to get my outline of how much, how often from dietician next week but it is very much slowly slowly slowly. i cant remember exactly but i think it's along the lines of 1tbs for 3 days to start out then gradually increasing from there. when i stopped bf it took me a good month to be able to tolerate a whole cup of milk again (i never had probs before). i had to go back to just yoghurt and cheese first for a couple of weeks. then 1/4 cup of milk for a week, 1/2 cup for a week, 3/4 then 1 cup. i still cant handle full fat milk or ice cream. long story short, if you do think he's reacting you could stop and break for a couple of weeks and then trial more slowly. is he on neocate LCP or regular?

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2011, 01:25:24 am »
anyone have any good ideas for substitutes for milk in recipes like bread and other baked goods?
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:53 am »
good point Kirry, Kai is only drinking 20ml a day I am not about to announce he can drink any amount of goat milk yet  ::)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:53 am »
melissa, i've just been using rice milk in baked goods and so far it's been fine but i use a bit less than the recipe calls for as it is quite thin. i've heard oatmilk can be better for baking as not so thin as the rice milk.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:28 am »
Coconut milk is quite yummy. I've used it in pudding before. There's a thread around here somewhere on mpi recipes. I'll have a look for you.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09