Author Topic: Reasons to be proud!  (Read 82056 times)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Re: Reasons to be proud!
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:14 am »
Haven't been on here for ages, it seems, but I used to be a regular....to put it mildly!  ;)

"Why does stopping bf make mums cry?"  That almost made me cry.  It's been a little over 2 years since I weaned my last one.  She just turned 4, and I still miss it. I love seeing her "nurse" her own Baby, or get me to (she says I have more "milk" than she does)  ::)

It's been so long since I've breastfed one of my girls, but sometimes if I sit really still, and close my eyes, I can almost feel what it was like....the quiet sounds (or loud humming and grunting in some cases!), the closeness, the satisfaction, and sheer happiness that I was able to do this for my daughters. 

For all of you who've struggled so hard to breastfeed, and for those for whom it came as naturally as breathing, you've done an amazing thing. Definitely be proud.  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 22:08:05 pm »
Lovely post Erin!..ds is 18 months and we seem to be starting the end of our BF-ing journey, so today when we were out, I saw a mum feeding her baby, and that just brought back so many wonderful memories that i will cherish for as long as I live, never though I'd be so hung up on BF-ing....lol
Adam's Mum

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 22:12:15 pm »
For all of you who've struggled so hard to breastfeed, and for those for whom it came as naturally as breathing, you've done an amazing thing. Definitely be proud.

I had a "one of each" scenario and have to say I am so so proud of both - Oscar was easy-peasy (but I didn't appreciate it at the time) and Emma was plain difficult xxx

It's been almost half a year since she self-weaned :-(((

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 20:39:36 pm »
Thanks for that lovely post Erin! We've missed you!

There sure is something magic about the breastfeeding bond between mother and baby...
I'm so glad we're still going and I know I will feel sad when she weans, whenever that will be...
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline LifeGiver

• Mariana, mother of E. (5) M. (3) and A. (14mo)
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My 3 princesses
    • My family blog
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 18:09:41 pm »
I was really glad to read this, specially after so many problems I've had with my DD being a terrible BFer...

She's 3.5mo and I see our BF relationship coming to an early weaning. But specially after this post I feel proud of fighting to be getting any amount of BM on her and be still doing it after all the struggle!

Thanks, dear. It made my day!
All the Glory to Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords!

Big girl with multiple food allergies: nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish, coconut and wheat.
Facing school life, one day at a time!

Offline nirtak

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 19:11:14 pm »
I was devastated when we had to stop at 6 months, so thank you :-*

Dito!
With my first, it didn't work out at all. Now with my second I wasn't even be able to make it past 2 months, because of some sucking issues. We have been trying SO hard! Have been pumping since then, but am going to wean now. Have to cry every day about this apparently wonderful thing called nursing I was deprived of. So, thanks for making me feel worse!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 22:06:37 pm by Tay »

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:47 am »
This thread isn't supposed to make you feel worse, but to make you feel better with any amount of BM you've given your LO. Read the first page again and you'll see that your LO's benefited from any amount you've given them. You should be proud for that, and not beat yourself up.

If we were all exposed to breastfeeding from an early age, as they did say 100yrs ago, then we'd have a higher success rate. Then you always had a mother, aunt, family friend and so on breastfeed and they didn't hide to feed baby, so it made it more natural for a women feed their baby, as she had seen it done before and had lots of experience women around to help.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »
Nirtak, sometimes no matter what we do - how hard we try - the breastfeeding just won't happen.  It's not natural or easy for everyone.  Many people have to work really hard at even getting through the first few weeks and I applaud those moms! (Like you!)  It takes a lot of strength to make the effort and to stick with it for as long as you can - whether that be days or weeks, or whatever.  You made the effort and that's something to be proud of.  It also shows strength to stop when it's obvious breastfeeding isn't working for your or your lo.  You gave your baby what you could with respect to your milk, and you'll keep giving your lo the other parts of parenting that are just as important - the love and the nurturing.  Yes, it can be a very disappointing and saddening experience when you had set your heart on something different, but it's not a failure.  You've succeeded to the degree that your and your lo were able to.  Sending you hugs and I hope you'll eventually be able to look back on your experience with less disappointment and more pride at the challenges you were facing and were working though.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Mom-o

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 18:46:57 pm »
I knew breast is best from a young age. I pretended with dollies etc. My mom was a community support mother for new moms so I was surrounded by it.

Well ten months ago I gave birth and had a beautiful DD and had a rough start to our BF relationship. Reflux, milk protein intolerance amoung a list of things that didn't help. All of which are best treated by breastfeeding.
My DH just said some nights when I wanted to give up "just one more day". That got me through so much. Here I am ten months on and I love feeding her. She is developing so well and evryone exclaims what a pleasant child she is.

The newest thing I learned is that breastfeeding has protected my DD for the affects of my newly diagnosed PPD. Holding her close has protected our bond and actually more than likely protected me from getting into a really dark place.

I'm proud of BreastFeeding because our bond couldn't even be broken by depression.

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 11:06:54 am »
I guess Danielle is that there's a big issue with the picture of a perfect breastfeeding experience being told to everyone, while not all people have such an easy experience and don't realize that it takes work on establish it sometimes, and so end up giving up!

So glad you kept going :-*
Adam's Mum

Offline Mom-o

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 16:01:56 pm »
I completely agree Yazzie. If they were more open to how hard it could be more moms would be mentally prepared to dig their heals in and work hard at getting established.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 14:51:42 pm »
fantastic reading...heartfelt thanks...x

Offline LuensMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Our Little Tinker born 21st Feb 2012
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2012, 16:21:51 pm »
Breast feeding is HARD work. I was nieve and thought that since my sister and my mum had done it, I'd be a natural. HA! How wrong can you be?! We had a very rocky start, a few weeks of 'alright' and then from about 3 weeks until LO was 7 weeks old I had to use nipple shields. Now, at 4months he's primarily BF, with one formula feed for the DF and I'm expressing to build up stores for leaving him with DP and heading back to work as I hope to at least offer one feed a day and continue BF over the weekends once I return to work.

I am proud. I am bloody glad I stuck with it and dug my heels in. I know I would have looked back when I was older and regretted not sticking with it. I'm also not at all surprised that so many women give up on it because it effing kills to start with, is hard work and you think Pamela Anderson has lent you her breasts when your milk comes in. I would recommend to anyone doing BF to get a good support network, without my sister I wouldn't have stuck with it. She really helped me, coming into hospital to help with feeds twice and doing it again once we were finally at home.

One day at a time was my moto when I began it. One day of BF gives your baby HEAPS of vital goodies. Even ONE day! Hoorah for the boob!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2012, 18:25:48 pm »
What a great testimony - thanks for sharing :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2012, 20:24:59 pm »
Great Job LM