Author Topic: How many bottle feeds for a 6 month old?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline natandjacob

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 10, 2008, 18:37:50 pm »
My 2nd son is 6 months & 1 week old, he is a big baby at 21lbs and sleeps through every night. He has transitioned to solids very well and will basically eat anything. I can't find my BW book as we are moving house so am looking for some guidance please.

I've moved over 2 formula & it suggests a 6 month old needs 600ml (20oz) a day which would be 4 = 5oz feeds or 3 =7oz feeds, at what point do you go from 4 feeds a day ie 7am/11am/3pm/7pm to 3 feeds a day? and how do you spread out 3 feeds.

Also is it best to give your baby solids with the milk feed (before or after) or as a seperate event say an hours later, currently I am giving Gabriel his solids an hour after a bottle, he will eat a huge amount of fruit/veg/cereal ie the equivalent of 1.5 jars of 4-6 month baby food at every feed? Im just worried he is eating too much solid food.

This is our general day

6.45am get up & 5 oz bottle
8am solids (fruit & cereal/rice)
9am Nap (1hr)
11am bottle 5oz
12pm solids (veg) + fruit
12.30 Nap (2hrs)
3pm bottle 4oz
5pm catnap (30min)
5.30pm tea (veg & protein) + fruit
7pm bottle & bed after bath

I know my toddler is not even 3 yrs old & was also an EASY routine baby but I just can't remember what I did exactly & not being able to find my book is driving me mad guessing at what to do.

Many thanks for any of replies.

Natalie x

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: How many bottle feeds for a 6 month old?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 20:03:24 pm »
Hi Natalie,

The choice of having a 3 or 4 bottle routine is very much up to you and your lo - some parents have found that their los prefer 4 smaller milkfeeds, others 3 larger ones, isn't really that important - what matters is that your lo prioritises milk over solid foods because that's what he needs from a nutritional perspective!

I'll direct you to this FAQ babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=118497.0 which answers some of your questions about the milk/solid order, and how to fit food into EASY - I would suggest that you could offer ds more milk at each of the 4 feeds (20oz is a minimum recommended amount, it would be preferable for him to still be on his pre-solids quantity of milk until at least 9 months).

HTH?

Ax
Alison x