Author Topic: What wind-down routines do you have for nap time?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Iris75

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What wind-down routines do you have for nap time?
« on: August 19, 2008, 14:23:54 pm »
Hi,
I'm having huge trouble putting my 22 month old down for a nap (not helped by the lack of routine that daycare with two older boys (who don't have naps) brings with it) so I was wondering what techniques you all have to get your LO to go down for a nap.

Also, what time are you aiming for? DS tends to get tired around 11 - 11.30am and if he is not in daycare I aim to make him sleep then. Success varies - sometimes I lie down with him and that will get him to toss and turn for about an hour (!) until he finally drops off. Sometimes I have to stick him in the car and drive around (not my ideal solution to the problem).

I think the problem is that he doesn't wind down properly, and that he doesn't know what to expect, but I'm unsure how to achieve that.

Any suggestions?

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: What wind-down routines do you have for nap time?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 15:31:55 pm »
Sounds like either though he is getting tired at that time he is not yet ready for sleep. I used to feed my DS his lunch around 12 and after that at about 12.30 take him upstairs for his nap so it was part of the lunchtime routine.  You could perhaps try lunch around 11.30 and then pop him down for a nap after that?

The only thing I would have done was close the curtains, perhaps read a gentle story and then pop him down for a sleep but I did find having lunch and then sleep was wind down enough.

HTH!

Offline Iris75

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 18:49:09 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should try that - I hadn't thought about pushing his lunch forward, but it might well work, because he usually eats a snack mid-morning anyway. Maybe if I give him lunch and then some milk and then pop him down for a nap he will understand the new routine after a few days...

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 21:06:50 pm »
I can only go by what worked for me, hope it helps you a bit if you try it!  Keep me posted!