Author Topic: alternative calcium source  (Read 2996 times)

Offline MLK

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« on: October 08, 2008, 10:54:20 am »
I'm currently on a restricted diet (no milk, soy, eggs, gluten or nuts) which is really difficult, so see if food proteins are affecting my BF son. I thought I'd share with others a good alternative source of calcium other than milk.

It's chicken broth. Just add chicken bones to cold water, add vinegar or something acidic (citric acid if vinegar is not tolerated) to help extract calcium from the bones. Then bring to the boil, skim off any scum, reduce heat and simmer for 2-12 hours. If vegies are tolerated then carrot peels, celery tops, herbs etc can be added for the last hour for flavour. Then strain and add a pinch of sea salt.

Depending on how long the bones are boiled for, one cup of broth can have as much calcium as one cup of milk. To increase fat, coconut oil or cream can be added. To thicken, a little arrowroot or tapioca flour can be blended in. Of course you can add meat/rice/vegies to make a meal!

Quinoa which has been soaked ovenight in warm water can be cooked in the broth to add iron, protein and extra calcium.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:17:04 am by Lan »

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: alternative calcium source
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:42:44 am »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I am always searching for additional sources and Thomas will not drink anything that resembles a milk substance.  AWESOME!!
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline MLK

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:11:40 am »
Glad it could help. I virtually live off variations of this on my restricted diet.

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: alternative calcium source
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 17:54:44 pm »
How much vinegar do you add?  And where can you get citric acid?  Abby also won't drink milk anymore.  She is such a picky eater.  Humm I wonder if she would eat this if I made it into a veggie soup.

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline MLK

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:47:49 am »
I just add about a tablesppon of vinegar to about 2-3 litres of water. The quantities aren't too importnat, as long as it not too vinegary!  I'm in Australia, and you can get citric acid in the supermarket (on the self near the baking soda, gelatin etc). IF they are really fussy you can make it into soup and even blend it up. My son eats a lot of soup - it's his favourite.