Author Topic: EASY is actually EASA...please help!  (Read 1226 times)

Offline robyn-h

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 16, 2009, 20:30:25 pm »
Hi there,

My son who is 9 weeks old (7 because he was early) usually wake up early from his nap and wants to play before getting hungry again.  Sometimes he wakes up on his own and sometimes he wakes up because he has had a burp (we have had major problems with his gas and formula).  Is this ok or should I try and make his nap time later after his activity?

Thanks!

Offline charmie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
Re: EASY is actually EASA...please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 20:14:11 pm »
Hello  ;D

Can you post your routine please?

xxx
charm

Offline robyn-h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:28:24 am »
Sure!  Typically it's feeding every 3 hours unless it's the night time (between 5pm and 6 am).  So, let's say eat at 7am, activity from about 7:45 to 8:30, sleep from 8:30 to 10:00.  But sometimes he will wake up at about 9:00 or 9:30 with gas or a burp.  So I will burp him and try to settle him back to sleep but he's not having any of it.  He wants to stay awake and play which he does until he gets hungry at about 10:00.

And because I never know if/when he will wake up with a burp, I have a hard time doing things for myself while he is sleeping.  Like I don't want to go and take a shower in case he wakes up crying because he needs to burp.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline charmie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:54 am »
Sorry I meant the whole day in this format;

E
A
S for how long

E
A
S etc etc.

Does he have difficulties burping?  Are you using infacol or a similar product to help him?  How long are his naps?  more often long or more often short?  How short 30? 45mins?

xxx
charm

Offline robyn-h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 22:47:16 pm »
Oh sorry!

E 7:00
A 7:45 - 9:15
S 9:15 - 10:00

E 10:00
A 10:45 - 11:30
S 11:30 - 1:00

E 1:00
A 1:45 - 2:00
S 2:00 - 4:00 (usually on a walk)

E 4:00
A 4:45 - 6:30
S 6:30 - 7:00 ish

E 7:00 ish
A 7:45 - 8:30 (bath etc)
S 8:30 - 10:00 to 10:30

E 10:00 or 10:30
S 10:30 or 11:00

E 2:00 (sometimes closer to 3 if I delay it)
S 2:30

That's pretty much it!  It varies somewhat but usually pretty close to that.  I have tried using Oval drops which are similar and they sometimes help.  He is usually not too hard to burp but sometimes will have to burp even after a good burp after feeding.  His naps are usually very short in the morning (sometimes only 30 minutes) and about an hour and half in the afternoon.  The evening sleeps are longer and I have sometimes have to wake him for his 7 o'clock feed.  And he usually sleeps right through the feed at about 10:00.

Hope this helps!

Offline charmie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:32 am »
Ok not much damage  :P  You are actually doing great and just need some tweaking for the 1st nap and minor changes.  Looks like you have a great sleeper on your hands  :D

As for the 1st nap that a time is much too long for a 9week old.  As you can see he sleeps much better later when his a times are shorter.  Thus I would try putting him down after 1hr or 1hr 15mins (including feeding time) so E 7, S 8 or 8.15.  Many babies like their 1st a time to be the shortest.  The length of the nap will show us what he prefers  ;)

The last part of the day should go like this;

E 4
A
S 5-5.45 (45min catnap)
A bath etc
E 7
S 7.30

df 10 or 11

and any feeds she needs during the night.

Make sure you do the df and night feeds with as little light as possible.  And don't change nappy if not really necessary.  After the bath put on some barrier cream on her bum and a night nappy, maybe in a size bigger.  That should help.  You should try to keep her as sleepy as possible.  No talking, no stimulation.

You need to shoot for a 12hr day and 12hr night.  So if wake up is 7, bedtime is 7 or 7.30 latest.

Let me know how it goes, and also if you have any more questions.  :-* :-*

xxx
charm

Offline robyn-h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:53:37 am »
Thank you very much!  I had thought that maybe he wasn't napping enough in the morning and that would throw him off. 

I'm curious why you are suggesting the bath before his 7pm feed?  I have actually tried that before and have recently changed the bath to after his meal because when I bathed him before the meal he was usually too sleepy to eat very much at all.  And he would not enjoy his bath because I wour ld wake him up for it or he would already be hungry for it (or at least think he was hungry).  So I switched it to after his meal and he eats better and enjoys the bath more.  Should I switch it back?

I have been trying to start his day at 7 so I've been making his bedtime at 7.  He usually will wake up closer to 5 like he is ready to wake up, but I've been trying to get him to sleep til 7.  Usually it works or at least I can get him to 6:30.  And normally I've been giving him his dream feed at 10:00 and he can sleep til 2:30 ot 3:00! 

Any other tweaking suggestions?  I'll take any you have!

Offline charmie

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:48 am »
No I wouldn't switch back if this way works better for you and your lo  ;)

I think you are doing absolutely great!!  Well done  ;D

xxx
charm