Author Topic: Gas inducing Foods?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline MarisaM

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Gas inducing Foods?
« on: September 09, 2009, 23:59:15 pm »
Hi there. Does anyone know any foods that cause gas? I've heard broccoli can but does anyone know of any others? My 14 mo farts like an adult (her father, of course, not her mum  ;D) Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:54:37 am by MarisaM »

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Gas inducing Foods?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 21:44:23 pm »
Any of the crucifers: cabbage in particular was a BIG problem when I was nursing Josie, only did that once! :o I'm from a German background, so sauerkraut is huge there!

Might also be a dairy thing. Both mine are VERY VERY farty after cows' milk. (We have rice milk for the one who'll drink it and water+supplements for the one who won't.)

You may also want to try probiotics. If your LO's ever had antibiotics, it's possible the gut flora is unbalanced, like we adults often get the runs from antibiotics because they kill off the good bacteria with the bad, and we NEED them to help us digest food. When Nat was just a week or two old, her farts could clear a room. I was GBS+, so I got the antibiotic IV during labor, so she already had them in her system by the time she first nursed. I had some that were gel capsules, put some on the nipple, and the next day NO MORE FARTS! Now my kids (and I) take probiotics regularly, and/or eat yogurt and other cultured foods with the bacteria in them naturally. I also ferment my own sauerkraut now, made with bacteria like yogurt instead of in vinegar, so I can actually digest the cabbage - it's the ONLY way I can!

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 22:07:32 pm »
cauliflower and all beans as well.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline MarisaM

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:05:57 am »
Thanks for the replies. Great ideas there. Have been considering the rice milk as this is what best agrees with my husbands tum too.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:48:33 am »
oh yes i want to know more as well, i know Brocolli keeps my LO up all night with gas so i havent touched it in about 6 weeks.

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:27 am »
Wheat!!! Especially things made with white flour. I've come off it myself as it blows me up like a balloon!!!

xx
Anna x