Author Topic: How much does your 20 month (roughly) old eat in a day?  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
How much does your 20 month (roughly) old eat in a day?
« on: November 17, 2009, 16:39:02 pm »
Can you help please?

I am wondering how much an average child this age eats and drinks in a day. 

Alex is almost 20 months and (as many of you know) has severe reflux and delayed gastric emptying.  (He takes Ranitidine, Nexium and Cisapride) He's had a pyloric balloon dilatition and GI wants to do a pyloroplasty next. 

Basically we are trying everything prior to that step as it can have some pretty poor consequences. So.  For the past 6 months or more, Alex will only nibble food and only drinks Alimentum out of a bottle.

We have taken away the bottle with the exception of bedtime and he is NOT making up for it! He will only drink a bit of diluted juice or plain water.  And his food intake is the pits. He will only have a nibble here and there but usually just packs his mouth as full as he can then spits it out after a few minutes. I can get him to have a few small apple slices and shredded cheese... some goldfish... and that's about it for the day.

I don't want to jump the gun though as I know it's not uncommon at this age to eat very little!

Sorry...  :-[ didn't mean for this to be so long winded!  I guess what I am asking for is like the title says.  How much does your child eat and drink in a day?

Thanks so much for the help!!  :-*
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: How much does your 20 month (roughly) old eat in a day?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 21:09:13 pm »
I am sorry about the challenges you are facing with Alex.  With that in mind, I am not sure having many people post what their average (whatever that really means) toddler eats is going to ease your mind, but I am happy to tell you what mine eats. I am happy to do so because my DD, who is 25 months old, eats very little, and I am really OK with that.  It is kind of my mantra for these message boards (that eating very little is not, in, and of itself, a bad thing).

So, here is what mine might eat in a typical 24 hour period:

Wake up: drinks about 6-7 ounces of milk
Breakfast: one small pancake; OR a 4 oz yogurt; OR about 1/4 cup of cereal (usually dry)
Lunch: she really just nibbles- she might eat 1/2 a PB&J or a few bites of lunch meat and cubes of cheese
Afternoon snack: a handful (my size hand) of crackers, animal crackers, or yogurt melts
Dinner: about the same amount of food as lunch, maybe a bit more
Before Bed: another 4-5 ounces of milk

So, in my opinion, that is a small amount of food.  Moreover, she never really appears to be that interrested in the food.  Just eats while distracted.

I am sure others will post on here and you will see the range, small eaters like mine, and bigger kids as well.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 22:36:06 pm »
I think my LO eat alot and often wonder if she eats too much but I echo pp.  Its hard to compare LOs but on a typical day my LO would eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.  My LO is nearly 19 months. 

Wake up:  BF
Breakfast:  Porridge and fruit mixed in
Snack:  Pancake or toast/cheese cubes/yogurt
Lunch:  Scrambled eggs and toast/spaghetti/stew/soup/pasta etc (about 1/3 size of adult meal) then yogurt or fruit
Snack:  Crackers and cream cheese/bread sticks/fruit
Dinner:  Same as lunch
Before bed:  BF

Does your LO like dips?  I have been finding it hard to get my LO to eat newer foods but have found if I let her dip the food into a sauce (ketchup, spaghetti sauce) she'll gobble it up.  I know he's 20 months but would he prefer to eat pureed fruit etc?  My LO still prefers pureed fruits and thats fine by me. 

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 00:44:41 am »
This def. helps. Even just to see the spectrum!  Thank you both so much... :) xx

Day 6 of only bedtime bottle and he finally started eating a bit today. A few cheezies (I know, I know, but anything a this point! lol) some yogurt and some banana too. :)
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:13:00 am »
Hi, Sharon!   :-* :-* :-* for you and Alex!

My Charlie is a BIG eater and drinker so I won't post his daily intake (plus he is 28 months and that's a huge difference). 

Why am I posting then? you ask.   ;)  I was just going to see if you've tried all different types of sippy cups.  You may find one that is bottle-like and it might make for an easier transition and result in more liquid intake during the day.  Just a thought and not all that original.   ::)

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Kate,

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:11:45 am »
ta ladies! you all are the best. xx

Well we have tried a bajillion sippies so far (at least! ;) ) and he will happily drink water and juice but no milk or formula. Haven't tried rice or soy... that's a good idea too. Just worried about his nutrition... we always offer food first and then formula in any kind of cup but he won't do it.  won't eat, won't drink it, just then asks for juice.  and we don't really have meals around here. It has just become to time consuming and wasteful and heartbreaking quite frankly... we just offer lots of good food at all times and it's really hit or miss...

okay I'm babbling... I am not so worried... not going to call GI tomorrow anyways as he did put some food in his mouth today and swallowed it! :D so we'll see. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!

Stacy... Ella is actually okay these days... some issues but... did I ever give you the link to their webpage? xx  we must try and meet one of these days...
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 04:12:40 am »
oh and the cans of Alimentum are 68 calories per 100 mls,  a can being 237 mls.  and I did not factor that into his calories so you are right Stacy, thanks.
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 04:31:25 am »
I will pm you the addy.  and YES! Our paed told us way back when that kids become addicted to the elemental formulas. It is sooo gross... you try and give Alex a regular formula and he will gag and retch like you have just tried to feed him motor oil. lol
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 08:33:31 am »
hi, LO is 19 months.

This is the volumes he usually eats:

2 weetbix with cows milk and added dry formula (for fattening him up)
1/2 large banana, 2 rice thins with cream cheese or peanut butter (sometimes I just give him a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter)
1 sushi/hand roll with tuna or avocado
1/2 kids size bowl of high fat yoghurt, + most of a pear
1 kids size bowl of savoury mince and rice (some grated veggie in there)

He only drinks water, refuses milk out of anything, so no milk meals to add. No more bfs either.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:51:18 am »
Thanks Char xx

He started screaming and arching and puking so we gave the bottle back and will just wait until we see GI again. :(  He just can't seem to handle the food!

Char how's his weight gain going?
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 08:35:09 am »
He is going good, he has gained 2.5kg over 5 months which is pretty big for his age!  But that really only takes him to just the 25th percentile. He's got a big tadpole belly  :P  Big change from when he dropped off the bottom of the chart. 

Thought I'd mention... Leo won't take milk or formula from a sippy cup or anything for that matter. But I did find success over time with him using a spoon for smoothies and spooning it out of a cup. 

Sorry to hear Alex is vomitting, hope you get some clarity from your GI.  :-* :-*

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »
Hi Sharon, So sorry to hear you are having eating issues again - you never seem to get a break!

I have a 17 month old who likes his food - as long as it's not veggies! He seems to eat mainly meat, fruit, eggs and grains/bread. He is MSPI so I give him an MSPI egg nog in a straw cup (it's pretty thick) that  i make from home made rice and quinoa milk and coconut milk (recipes in food allergy sticky thing.) Never tried the formulas cos he was BF till recently and  I thought there would be no chance he'd take it. Anyway he seems to be doing pretty well on this diet so far though I still worry about the lack of dairy.

I guess he would eat about 2 cups of food and 500ml of his MSPI egg nog a day?

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:40:12 am »
Thanks... it all really does help! We see GI tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. :)

Good to hear Char! xx
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 05:25:00 am »
how did you go?

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 17:08:46 pm »
well the doctor told him he can't have anymore bottles and believe it or not it worked. :)  He walks around saying "doc-o-tar say a no more bottles!"  it's super cute.  His eating is not great but starting to get better after five days.  GI says to keep at it even if he loses weight.  He only wants to know if he loses more than a kilo.  :-\  or if he gets dehydrated or his pain gets too bad.  His pain isn't that bad, he is complaining a bit and asking for ice packs. He also takes your hand, makes a fist and jams it in his tummy.  Overall though okay.

We are trying sit down meals again too.  Back to basics I guess to prove things to the new Doctors. (we moved in July) They don't really know us or have faith in us yet. Understandable but a PITA all the same.

First sit down supper, Alex sucked on two pieces of chicken then spit them out and Ella took a nibble of carrot then jumped up and retched it back into the garbage.  :-X No feeding issues in this house!  ;D

Thanks for thinking of us. xx
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to