Author Topic: eating after illness  (Read 1314 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
eating after illness
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:08 pm »
Hi,
DS has always been quite picky about food. He will eat and when it is something that is the current fave i.e. baked beans he will eat loads but he is funny about texture and trying new things.
Anyway - he has just had a sickness bug and I am struggling to get much into him. He does seem hungry but only for his flipping special biscuits! Now this is my fault but when he was sick I was just giving him dry foods like bread, toast etc and he loves these sugar free dry biscuits so I thought that he could have one or two. Now of course that is really all he wants. He will eat a bit of weetabix and a bit of toast but he is def hanging out for the biscuits! I know this is normal - I would hang out for the sweet stuff too but I need to move on and try and get him back on track.
I guess it will take a little while to get him back on track but I just wondered if anyone could advise me on how to handle the biscuit thing and also give me some ideas as to what he might be tempted by seeing as he has been ill and I am trying not to give anything too rich.
Thanks
Becky
ps - I did think about just using up the biscuits and then just showing him the basket and doing a goodbye to them. Weird or ok?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: eating after illness
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 16:27:17 pm »
ps - I did think about just using up the biscuits and then just showing him the basket and doing a goodbye to them. Weird or ok?

that's exactly what I was going to suggest! :)

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 19:09:56 pm »
yes did that today. He is being ultra fussy so maybe it is teeth. He goes on and on about snacks all day but when the food is actually there at meals he will barely touch it.
bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 19:55:00 pm »
I try hard not to worry about this.  I offer food--either "snacks" or meals that I consider wholesome and let them eat what they'll eat and trust they won't starve.  Unless there's a prolonged underlying issue, this always seems to work out in the end.