Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 57812 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:28:21 pm »
Thanks Shannon, we're not completely done, but it's really close. She did ask this morning though, but it was really quick :)
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 14:08:31 pm »
jumping on to wish you the biggest congrats Sylvie xxx

One day I think we're not too far behind you and then come the weekend we are back to three long feeds again per day.....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline MommytoJashn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • The Naughty Naugthy Girl !!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 16:26:38 pm »
Jashn is 14 months old I feed her morning and night but off late she wants to feed at night as well or rather wants to feed ever rime she sees me

is she addicted to milk or is it an emotional need

How do I know?

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 21:27:33 pm »
Sounds like she needs reassurance to me, Richa. Have there been some changes recently (going back to work, new house, etc?)? Maybe you could offer a special thing you do that is not nursing at those times - I've had good luck "doing stickers" together.

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 18:49:48 pm »
My spot :)
Adam's Mum

Offline marilyn73

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:31:42 am »
Quick question - I still BF my 14 month old at bedtime.  She's a thumb sucker before falling asleep (for naps and bedtime), but since I dropped the am feed, she's doing it more - like in bed in the morning - before we get up, we bring her in bed with us, where she lounges around sucking her thumb....I thought maybe it was because that's when she used to feed (we dropped it without issue though). 
Other times of the day she thumb sucks here and there when she never bothered before.
Any similar experiences??

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 16:56:34 pm »
Marilyn, might be more developmental (world is getting wider) rather than a weaning thing??

Offline MommytoJashn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 17:52:15 pm »
Will she ever wean? Am beginning to get impatient! every time she sees me milk is what she wants it's getting too much
need some hugs to keep it going!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:08:52 am »
Hugs, Richa!!

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion. I never did demand feeding at Jashn's age, but in general I think you need to say something like "mama's milk (or whatever you call nursing) isn't ready yet" (does she understand a timer??) and then look for a distraction. Just get through as many moments as you can without 'resorting' to nursing. If she understands parts of her day, you could say "not yet, but we'll have milk time after lunch/after your nap/after Grandma goes home" etc.

You can do this. More hugs for a clingy LO though - that's exhausting even if they're not wanting to BF!

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 15:06:25 pm »
DD went through phases where she asked a lot, then all would go back to normal. I found while teething and developmental stages where she'd get more SA, she wanted to nurse more.

I thought DD was weaning, but she's back to asking in the morning. She asked for and evening feed as well a few times within the last week. I was really surprised I had so much milk in the evening since it doesn't happen very often.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
opps my spot - DS just up. I will be back.

Offline MommytoJashn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 18:18:17 pm »
Thanks shanon will try this out .

Sylvie funnily no teeth  but can't say about a gs !

But it's terribly exhausting !

Offline knock0ut

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 20:06:04 pm »
Just posting because I need to do something productive instead of sitting here crying! My 17 month old DD was still having 2 BFs a day - in the morning when she comes into our bed before getting up and at bedtime. However, over the last few weeks she has a been a bit hit and miss about how much milk she actually wants, and in the morning is happy to accept a cup of milk instead (on the rare occasion that we sleep in and I'm rushing to get ready for work). Tonight at bedtime she was doing lots of delaying tactics - getting down off my knee, pretending to let dolly have milk instead (so cute!), asking for a book, flicking my boobs and laughing (not so cute!) etc. Anyway - my husband went to get her a cup of milk instead, which she happily drank and then let me put her in her cot, pat her back and off to sleep she went (she's usually asleep or nearly asleep when I put her in her cot). I've been bawling my eyes out ever since as it seems I have to face that this is the end of our breastfeeding journey  :'( :'( :'(   

A friend of mine's LO did exactly the same at a similar age and never asked for milk again - although she didn't offer it to him. Her rationale for that was that it was better to take the hint then and stop when he didn't seem so bothered rather than encouraging him to continue and then having to stop when she wanted to. Baby led I guess - but I just wasn't prepared for it! I also don't want to give all those disapproving people the satisfaction that my 'big girl' really is a big girl! :(

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has similar experiences .....

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 20:10:48 pm »
I'm back and joining in.

DS is just turning one this week and still having 4 BF on a normal day although this week he is unwell with an ear infection and has been wanting it day and night. I am going back to work in 5 weeks and wondering how he will cope. Not sure how to drop the feeds though as he pretty much helps himself. Hoping maybe when I am not here all day he will just forget it?

He is not putting on much weight lately and not sure if it is because he eats only a little and has lots of milk still.

Am aiming to keep bidaily feeds for another year or so.

Not been there yet Knockout but hugs to you. Maybe you can keep offering the am feed when she is in bed....