Author Topic: Day 1 hit the fan... can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong???  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Kimberlina

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
After much confusion, I have now started my 3wk old on EASY... yesterday looked like this (to the best of my recollection - after the night we had, I'm surprised I can remember my own name!):

7:00 - woke, fed 5oz formula
Changed nappy, got dressed, etc
Watched for signs of sleepiness, pretty sure he was back asleep for 8:15 or so

10:00 - woke him for 4oz formula
Changed nappy, had a walk around the garden (BIG garden!) in push chair
Watched for signs of sleepiness, back asleep for 11:15 or so

1:00 - woke him for 4oz formula
Changed nappy, sat out in the garden with daddy
Watched for signs of sleepiness... DID NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP! I thought maybe to much stimulation being out in the garden for a nap (he has loved outdoor naps before!) so took him inside. Took a fair while to get him down... maybe 3pm?

4:00 - he woke just after 4 for 4oz formula
Changed nappy, had to nip out so bundled into the car and hoped he put himself to sleep there... No such luck...

6:00 - Back home. Cluster fed 2oz bottle. Auntie came and brought new bouncer. Overstimulated. Tried to get down for a catnap. No such luck, but managed to sit quietly with Daddy until 8:00 (think may have fallen asleep right at the end?)

8:00 - 2nd cluster feed of 2oz.
Bath time
Swaddled, cuddled, sh/pat... NO SLEEP

10:00 - meant to be 5oz dream feed... but no dreaming involved this time!
Immediately re-swaddled... then unswaddled, as it was hot in our room last night... tried some skin-to-skin to calm, no luck... screamed until Midnight...

3:00 - woke for mid-night feed (good boy only has one!!!). Took 4oz, then took AGES to get to sleep. I was so tired, I just switched the light off and let him scream in the dark on my chest, whilst I shouted/cried the sh/pat.

This morning:
6:45 - awake
6:50 - 4 oz feed
7:15 - nappy changed & signs of sleepiness
7:18 - Swaddled and shh/pat
7:35 (or so) - asleep!

What am I doing wrong!? I know the 6:00 hour went mad with Auntie overstimulating (HOW do you get people to not overstimulate without sounding like a control-freak mum?!) but the whole day from 1pm seems to have gone to pot after such a brilliant morning?!
♥ Kim

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Re: Day 1 hit the fan... can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong???
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:13 am »
Hi there, well whats happening is that hes overtired at the moment, you see for a 3 week old its pretty much feed, change nappy and straight back to bed, his A time will only be about 50-60mins and at the moment you have him up for 1 hour 15mins so even though he slept at the beginning of the day the rest of the day he was accumulating overtiredness and bam you have sleep issues. i know we watch for sleep cues but we also use the A time suggestions as a good guideline and so far they work really well, what i would suggest is bringing his A time back to about an hour so only 15mins less than normal and see if that helps the situation, start wind down 15mins before sleeptime if possible :)

as for not sounding like a control freak mum... well that never ends, i still sound like one when im saying "um please keep it calm, dont hype him up, hes going to bed in an hour" and people are like "an Hour!!! thats ages away... tickle tickle tickle..."  ::)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:35:16 am »
I think he is doing quite well given the age. I'd agree and say slightly OT as well, especially because he had to be woken for both feeds previously. Maybe cut 'A' to an hour, instead of an 1:15.

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 15:14:27 pm »
Thank you both so much! I think you're probably right, evident in this morning's schedule - only 50 minutes from eyes open to eyes shut this morning, awake right at the 3hr mark, and no probs!

Today has been a bit the same. He has missed both afternoon naps (did a bit of running about this aft), and has hence been awake 6 hours! He's just dropped off now and I'm hoping I can win the evening back... if not - there's always tomorrow, when I'm implementing a strict 50-60 minute A time! :)

Have warned DH that I will become a Control Freak Mum about naps for the next few weeks. Have laid down rule that if someone wants to spend time with DS, he is available for feeding and nappy changing only, then back to me for wind-down/napping!

Here's hoping! THANKS AGAIN!
♥ Kim

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 23:01:51 pm »
MANAGED TO PULL THE EVENING BACK!!! Successfully implemented naps after 5pm & 7pm feeds without one tear from either of us! He woke before dreamfeed, but was able to get him straight to sleep following that, too!!!

You are both such lifesavers! I feel like supermum, thanks to you! We'll see how tomorrow goes with my new-found knowledge! ;)
♥ Kim

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 23:08:36 pm »
well done  ;D

They do get OT so very easily, they've never experienced anything like this world before.

Hope you have a good night.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 23:17:09 pm »
awesome, hopefully your night is great and you can go ahead with the new times :)