Author Topic: help for mom with PPD 9 m/o TONS OF PROBLEMS  (Read 4454 times)

Offline anielasmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
help for mom with PPD 9 m/o TONS OF PROBLEMS
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »
alot of you know me and my background but here we go again....
started BW at 6 weeks, baby never slept ever. found of finally at i think 6-7 months she is low sleep needs. things were going alright but certainly not perfect for a while.
i recently had a sort of breakdown and was diagnosed with PPD. i started medicine and therapy and am trying to get back on my feet as a mother and a person.
i have not been able to deal with DD crying-like at all and have AP'd the hell out of her this whole time (realisticly been about 1 month or 1.5months) now everything is a disaster go figure and i dont know how to fix it. Easy is gone. naps are almost non existent and she has a million NWs and EWs. im going nuts trying to help her and myself and not sleeping. I have been co-sleeping most nights to try and help her sleep i guess. idk its hard to explain but trust me i just could not handle anything and neither could DD. shes very touchy and spirited. shes extremely sensitive and emotional and stubborn...she feeds off of my emotions and i think she needed some extra reassurance anyways...
im not exactly better or even close really but i cant get her to sleep for the life of me and its resulting in her crying anyways so i need your help, advice, and support to try and get her on some kind of schedule and sleeping at least enough for her.
she was doing beautifully on one nap previously but now shes extremely mobile and definately needs the two naps (she just wont take long ones). PU/PD does not work for her at all. even just P/D she just becomes extremely hysterical and wont sleep(last time i tried i had a neighbor knocking at my door who wanted to make sure everything was ok b/c she heard my baby screaming so loud)...if she will actually lie down pat works pretty well still...but she will usually just stand up and scream. she screams alot...and i mean really screams like i said very spirited..

so our good day is something like this and its not that great..

7awake E (bm)
7:15 A
8 E (solids)
8:30 A
10 OR 11 S (if she wont sleep until 11 i feed her at 10:30)
A
11 OR 12 awake E (bm)
A
12 or 1 E (solids)
3 S
3:30/4 awake E (BM)
A
5:30 E (solids)
A
7:30 E (BM)
8 S

on a bad day its
6am awake E (BM)
7 E (S)
A
8E (BM)
9/10 S
10/11 awake E (BM)
12 E (S)
A
2/3 S
3/4 awake E (BM)
5 E (s)
A
7/8/9 S (try every time for 30 mins or so)

Please help me!!!
Kami

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: help for mom with PPD 9 m/o TONS OF PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »
Oh, gosh, it's so hard!!!!

OK, a couple questions:

Is she teething? Do pain meds make a difference?

Are the sleep or the crying worse after any particular solids? Might there be any other food reaction not yet discovered? (I know you're eating ridiculously well. :))

Are you getting enough GOOD fats in your diet? These are CRUCIAL for her brain development and their absence can have an effect on both your mood and hers. (I'm reading about this now, actually.) Olive oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil are the best good fats that aren't commonly associated with allergens. (Sesame oil is another good fat if it's expeller-pressed, apparently, but seeds can be an allergic trigger - I have a friend whose DD is allergic to sesame seeds in addition to a host of other things.)

Can you get GOOD earplugs? Seriously. The sound of crying causes the body to release cortisol - stress hormone! - and muting or even greatly reducing the sound of the crying/screaming is SUCH a relief! Yes, she'll still be screaming, but at least you will be able to deal with it better. I can't recommend them highly enough. I've found some good ones at WalMart, sometimes in the sporting goods section near guns. (It's amazing the odd things I've found and where I've found them! ::))

For YOU, I'd look into dietary help and/or supplements to help with your own mood. I've had horrible borderline-clinical PPD with both mine and now I'm on the right mix of supplements I'm really feeling like myself, barring one week a month. :P The good fats are helping me, along with GABA and SAM-e; GABA should be safe for BFing, but to my knowledge SAM-e hasn't been tested. Some people also have a lot of relief from emotional issues with 5-HTP - again, though, don't know about BFing with that one. That and GOOD-quality vitamin supplements - food isn't as nutritious as it was before heavy-duty farming stripped so much of the nutrients from the soil, and industrial fertilizer doesn't add all of them back in.

{{{{HUGS}}}} Kami!

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 16:34:51 pm »
TY Deb

i do get good fats i take DHA supplement (and prenatals+calcium) and drink coconut milk and eat tons of fruits and veggies inc. avacado. I alost only use olive oil for all my cooking and baking it is my butter replacement. im on zoloft. i know 5-htp and insolitol and Sam-e are not safe. never heard of gaba...

i could get earplugs thats true but still how do i get her to sleep? even if i do pu/pd or p/d for 2hours she wont sleep she will just scream the whole time and hyperventilate basically and be wide awake and will not go to sleep.

meds have not made any difference.
we literally just got back from the pead and she said her top teeth are coming which is weird b/c i cant feel them and we were there 1 week ago and the other pead said they were no where in sight so idk. however we have been testing her "normal" poop for blood and they kept telling me oh your doing it wrong blah blah blah so i brought in "live" samples of poop for them to do and guess what her normal-non green-non diarrhea poop still has blood in it. so i have no idea what to do. we eat almost nothing as is. im going nuts no wonder my baby is so intense all the time shes still in pain and has been every day of her life! im so PO right now b/c i was the only person who was like oh dont you think we should test some "normal" poop to make sure its ok and all her docs were like well you know what her bad poop looks like so there is no need...right so i convinced her Dr at the last well visit to give me some guac cards like 1 month ago and for 3 different weeks i brought in the cards and they said oh they are all positive so you are doing it wrong now a whole month later what do you know i was right...not that i wanted to be.

so now what do i do? its not even like the AP works!
Kami

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 16:48:09 pm »
I don't know if you can get RAST testing done on such a young one- does anyone in Food Allergies know more about this? 'Cause if she's got blood in her poop, SOMETHING is going on. Oh, has she been tested for celiac? A food book/site to look into (I know, in all the spare time you have for reading, right? :-\): http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/. I borrowed the book from the library and wow, lots of info in this book about damaged gut and getting it healed. Here's the "Beginner's Guide" page: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/beginners.htm .

The earplugs are only to help YOU not get any more stressed out on a physiological level than you already are with everything else that's going on. She may still scream as much as she has been,but if it's becoming a cycle where she cries, you stress, she picks up on it and cries MORE, then reducing your stress can only help things. :)

If she gets so bad that the screaming won't stop you could try playing the ER card. "My baby cries a lot, but now she's been screaming nonstop for two days, help us!!!"

And are you eating enough meat/animal protein?

Oh, I did a quick Google search - looks like there haven't been any studies on GABA during BFing so not known if safe for BF or not. Sorry 'bout that. :-\

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 20:14:36 pm »
thanks Deb i am gluten free already so is DD but those are great links. i called her GI and they said they need to speak with her Dr. b/c she has an appointment on the 10th but my pead and i want her to be seen ASAP needless to say im worried sick about her.

i eat ALOT of animal protein lol...sometimes 3x a day...only chicken and pork and sometimes turkey though. DD cant do beef or fish. i eat eggs as well.
Kami

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 20:22:42 pm »
Hiya,
Lots and lots of hugs. Motherhood can be very hard at times, but especially when you're not well yourself and don't know how to deal with things.
But just remember, your lovely daughter is getting bigger, reaching milestones, developing beautifully because of you! So you must be doing SOMETHING right!
;)

I'm trying to think of a plan here... The biggest issue is your DD falling asleep on her own, in her own bed is that right?
What AP actually works well? Does she feed to sleep? Or does she just pass out out of exhaustion?
xxx

Offline Rizzo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 00:22:05 am »
Hi,
Lots of hugs too. I also have PPD and am on Zoloft.. have a 6mo touchy/spirited DS, who has a mind of his own, and a voice to match!!
I was recommended to take BIG doses of omega 3 FAs to help with my mood, so am on that too (which i was taking all during pregnancy too).
I have shocker days still, when I think that I need to up the meds, cause i think they are not working. Same as you, DS feeds off my emotions - if i am having a shocker, so is he, and its a vicious cycle.
PU/PD never worked with us either - it made him heaps worse. I had to resort to pacy use, unfortunately.
I am still trying to sort out any sort of routine with my DS, so I am probably no help at all, but feel for you.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:30 am »
Hi

I know a little of your background, but something that really worked for my spirited DS with crazy sleep needs was a fairly set nap and bedtime this worked really well from 8/9mths and I couldn't believe it!  It helped me also to be able to plan my day etc.  I worked within about 15/20mins of nap and bedtime regardless of wake up - I know this doesn't always work and there are definite exceptions - like illness, a big day, bad night etc when you *need* to follow your LOs cues but just thought I'd throw that out there too.

{{HUGS}}
Laura xx
LAURA xx

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:56 am »
i have been feeding her to sleep and co sleeping recently... however she will not AP to sleep no matter what i do if shes not ready or over ready to sleep. also i dont always feed her to sleep b/c alot of times she will be dog tired and i nurse her and she starts dozing off but then i put her in the crib and shes wide awake laughing and just WILL NOT go to sleep. i can try singing rocking patting whatever for 30 mins is what i usually do and she will not sleep. if i leave to try and see if she will go to sleep on her own forget it shes hysterical. i can not bare to see her get so upset especially with all her tummy issues and the pain shes been in her whole life. its just too much i feel like i have failed her with her tummy problems as it is.

yesterday was great napped at 11-11:40 and 3:30-5 which i alot of napping for her bed at 8:30pm but then she had an EW of 4am! it seems like nothing i do helps her ever.

so with a set nap what do you think just one nap? its hard b/c she seriously needs a 4hr+ A time or she wont nap at
all but then we try and do a second nap and its so late in the day...
if you do the one nap what time about? she does 13hr days no matter what and has since birth really. so im trying for 7am-8pm .

TY ladies for the responses ans support.
Kami

Offline Tay

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 17:56:25 pm »
Hiya,
I would say one nap is very little, but could you manage one big and a catnap? Have you tried walking her on the sling? (I'm thinking that for a catnap - and you can get 30min exercise... ;) ).
I'm thinking that you probably need to get her on a regular sleeping pattern (whatever that may be), even if it means APOP for a while. Then you can try to cut some of the APng...

DD was very demanding until around 9 months, when she started crawling and getting herself interested in things around. But the sleeping was always an issue. I agree with pp that what worked for us was a very rigid BT - with a veeeery long windown. She stopped napping during the day very early on and that was THE ONLY way to get her to sleep at night.

I'll keep thinking about it to see if anything else comes to me. But just hang in there, be good to yourself and just whatever you need to do to get yourself and your LO some rest!
xxx

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 20:35:16 pm »
TY Tay

she had one nap at 12:30 today and slept until 2:30 but woke up and was soooooo cranky but her top teeth are coming in and shes usually cranky in the evening
one nap is very little but then again she will only nap 2hrs if shes been up until 12:30 or 1. he will not do one long and one short nap. its either one long nap or two short naps 2 1hr naps if im super lucky but its usually like 40-45 min naps for both sometimes less. she crawls everywhere and has started walking too shes extremely active and pretty advanced for her age so i have always treated her as if shes older. her pead said shes advanced mentally like a 15 month old.

guess we will have to see how tonight goes. BTW she went down for this nap beautifully. i wore her in the wrap at 12:15 and at 12:25 took her in the room and sang 2 songs then put her down and she went right to sleep. so maybe the two naps were screwing us up and that why she was fighting it so bad? idk but im grateful for how today went lol *praying for more*

she will not sleep in the sling ever never would she used to sleep in the wrap but now she wont. she will look around no matter what i do even if shes been up all day and i bring her to the mall and wear her for 2 hours she still wont sleep....oh how things change as they grow! i miss my little baby lol well the day is easier now though less crying for the most part and shes entertaining herself alot now. when she was younger it was 3+ hours of crying easy everyday...
Kami

Offline Tay

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 20:45:32 pm »
I guess it does sound like my DD, I just had to put up with a bit of crankiness to get good night sleeping...
Everyone kept telling us she needed to sleep more during the day but it was just not the case for her...

How do you feel about it?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 23:57:28 pm »
How was today Kami?

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:53 am »
well last night sucked =b she was up at 9 then 10:40 noticed she had gas though..gave her some gripe water then she was wide awake and took me 30 mins to get her to sleep and we co slept all night....she kept waking up calling dada...
our nights have been so rough lately no matter what i seem to do! i know shes teething and going through SA as well...besides she definately wakes up to come in my bed now...

we are suppose to see the GI on the tenth but just found out my health insurance will be canceled on the 29th! im going to call monday and see if there is anything they can do (squeeze me in) she was ok yesterday but the day before she had a screaming fit for 1.5hrs! thats alot for her age definately and i totally think she was in pain b/c i thought maybe she was just OT and i lay down with her and patted her and she didnt go to sleep which if shes OT to the point shes screaming she always goes to sleep.

she is low sleep needs and always has been i just am not sure to what extent. its like i cant find a happy medium for her. but then again maybe our night will be bad no matter what? 2 fairly good naps=EW and up frequently and one nap=up frequently but wakes up at a normal time. she did crash at 7pm last night though...so she was up at 6am of course but she will not do a 12 hour night no matter what.

then with one nap i can get her to nap no problem but with two its a long battle that usually ends in AP
Kami

Offline Tay

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 16:52:17 pm »
we are suppose to see the GI on the tenth but just found out my health insurance will be canceled on the 29th!
Oh hun, I just feel for you! You've had it tough! ((hugs))

its a long battle that usually ends in AP
Can you not try to AP from the start, just to get the sleeping established for a few days (and get you both some rest)?
xx