Author Topic: Sleep Training - the early days  (Read 34716 times)

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Sleep Training - the early days
« on: October 20, 2010, 23:25:40 pm »
Those first few weeks and months with your new bub can be overwhelming.  Where to start?  How to get EASY going?  How/when should I start sleep training?  Here are some helpful reminders about getting to know your bub from the beginning and making the best choices for your family.

From Secrets of the Baby Whisperer (pg. 9) “If you take the time to observe your baby and to learn what she’s trying to say to you, you’re going to have a baby who’s content and a family that isn’t dominated by a distressed baby.”
To help you get to know your baby, check out these FAQs:
The BW "Know Your Baby Quiz"
S.L.O.W. down (and Appreciate your Baby's Language)
Recognising a Babies Cries
What’s a mantra cry?

Also from Secrets of the Baby Whisperer (p. 49) “With EASY, you guide your baby and, at the same time, get to know his needs.  By the time he’s three months old, you’ll already know his patterns and understand his language.  And you can build good habits straightaway….start as you mean to go on.”
Here are some helpful FAQs to start you off with EASY:
Getting started - how I survived the first 3 months
Starting EASY with a newborn-What to Expect
Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=128419.0
Six Weeks to Four Months: Growth Spurts - How to tackle them
"Is this a Growth Spurt?  How can I meet my Baby's needs?"
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!
Remember, EASY is a routine, not a schedule – every baby is different.

When it comes to sleep training, a few important tips to remember:
1)   Babies grow in their time, not ours (SOTBW p. 65)
2)   Your baby has not read any of the BW books and isn’t aware of your plan.
3)   Remember to SLOW down

Some parents choose to begin sleep training the moment the new baby comes home, some parents choose to wait a little and just focus on bonding with the baby in the very early days and gradually start teaching independent sleep as the sleep cycles mature.  It's so important to understand your baby first and to choose the approach that both respects your baby and works best for your family.  Some babies need more physical interaction from you and are not able to self soothe as easily or as quickly as other babies.   Additionally, babies who were born prematurely, have reflux, or other health issues will need more time before they are able to settle in to an EASY routine and sleep independently. The most important thing to remember is to get to know your baby, respect your baby, and don't be afraid to ask for help, take a break, or go as slowly as you need to. Sleep training takes time, effort and commitment – but teaching your baby independent sleep has tremendous pay offs. 
Here are some FAQs to consider as you decide when and how to begin sleep training:
Better Sleep for Babies 101
What is soothing and when can I expect my baby to self soothe?
What does a good wind down consist of (Includes 4S ritual)
Swaddling Technique (aka "Aussie swaddle")
Teaching Sleep to Newborns and Young Infants
Shush-pat - How to
Sleep and the reflux baby.
When can I stop feeding at night?
Night Feeds and the Breast Fed Baby
"Is it true my baby will sleep better if I put a little baby cereal in a bottle?

Please feel free to post specific questions on any of our forums – there are hosts of parents here who are more than happy to share their experiences.  Take time to get to know your baby, start as you mean to go on, and Happy Whispering!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:29:58 am by amayzie »
Michelle