Author Topic: day care completely messed up sleep schedule  (Read 891 times)

Offline babyre33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Adalyn & Andrea
day care completely messed up sleep schedule
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:18:54 am »
My 11mo dd has been going to daycare for  the past three months.  She has stopped taking good naps.  This is the way her day typically goes:
7:15 - wake 9oz bottle
breakfast
10:30 - bottle
11:00 - 11:30 - nap
lunch
3:00 - bottle
4:00= pick up from day care
4:30-5:00 nap
dinner
7:00 bed

She does not go to sleep easily anymore, there is a whole lot of crying most of the time, and she typically wakes around somewhere between 4 and 6.  If we go to her, she just will not go back to sleep but cry for us.  If we leave her alone, she'll cry and go back to sleep in 10-30 min.  This is dd #3, and I am lost.  I don't know how to fix the issue of her not sleeping during the day.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: day care completely messed up sleep schedule
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 19:16:51 pm »
This is her current routine or her previous routine???

11 months is an age where SO many LOs need tweaking as they head into that crazy 2:1 nap transition. I remember having to find the right times and lengths of DD's morning nap to ensure no resistance AND fit in a second nap to avoid OT before bed. Took a lot of trial and error and then cutting and tweaking as the weeks and months went on. Perhaps this is coinciding with daycare and it isn't daycare itself???? Plus teething was on the forefront around the same time as well. Most daycare centers probably won't medicate, correct?

If she is up early does she stay up for the day or go back to sleep??? If she is up do they allow for an earlier nap to compensate?

I'd say, double check for any teething or other issues first, medicate in the am if you think she may need it. Then ask about altering her nap times on days she may be super tired.

Is she doing the same thing at home now as at daycare as well? Or is she doing a better routine at home?

Second, I would try to alter her routine a bit and see if that helps. When DD was this age we had a short morning nap around 10-10:30 and then a longer afternoon nap around 1:30 or 2ish for nearly 2 hours. Not sure if she'd like a later longer morning nap and a catnap later or whatever, but I am thinking after only napping 30 minutes in the morning at 11 and then waiting until 4:30 for another nap is a VERY long time and she is likely very OT by then. Plus that late nap can cut into night sleep b/c it is too late in the day.

Sorry I'm rambling at the moment. Hope something in there is helpful.