Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184675 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2011, 20:16:57 pm »
I was never sure what sort of milk i got. It always just looked like normal even after b was born. I always felt empty until few days after the birth but there was always a few drops even after k had fed. I would be tempted to set boundaries early on. K didn't grow out of asking lots and it caused lots of tears. Keep to routine and it Will be less change for them i think. How long do you plan to tandem nurse ladies?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 20:24:22 pm by Khalam's Mama »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2011, 20:35:27 pm »
I hope to make it to Cadan's 2nd birthday and then see if he loses interest perhaps with a don't offer, don't refuse slow wean.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

tigerlilly905

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2011, 02:52:39 am »
I'm also hoping Ds1 makes it a full 2 years nursing, but would like him to still get BM beyond that. I mean, I'm still planning on nursing Ds2 for 2 years as well, so I might as well keep giving it to them as long as they'll take it. It's just SOOO good for them, I can't deny the health benefits. Even if they only take it in a cup, or on oatmeal, I don't think that's weird, do you?

I thought my milk changed to colostrum a few times during my preg, but I think that was just my hormones changing the consistency of my milk. It didn't truly change to colostrum until very close to my EDD, and even still, it wasn't fully colostrum until after Ds2 was born.  My MW's said that there's a huge hormone shift as soon as the placenta is delivered which causes the milk to fully change to colostrum.

((hugs)) Vicku. I was hoping for a more positive update. :( I hope you can continuing nursing as long as you would like. Don't give up. xox

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2011, 16:03:44 pm »
Thanks! I've read that the colostrum starts to be produced about half way through And was thinking she may hang on for that. I imagine that the colostrum would be very good for DD too. Now there isn't anything there after she's done, can't even get a drop last few days... I was also hoping to get to 2 yrs and we're only 3mos short of that soon so perhaps it's ok if we stop. Also when thebaby is due she's 2yrs 3mos and I'm not 100% I want to tandem feed, I'm sort of 50/50 on doing it or not. If DD was as young as your LOs I'd definitely try to do it but as she's already over 2 then I'm not sure.
Anyway it kind of seems like the decision is being made by my boobs, not me :( so we'll see.

Glad it's going well for you all! So exciting to hear about it! And good luck Ali! You are so close now :D
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2011, 20:40:07 pm »
I don't think that's weird to give it to your boys your milk in a cup or on cereal etc Rebecca but are there any health benefits from continuing after 2yrs? I'm not saying there aren't I just don't know what they are and would be interested to know. Can your boys have cows milK?
Maybe if you have enough milk Vicku you could pump and give Sienna the BM in a cup even if she has weaned if that is something you would like to do. Otherwise I think 20mo is a fantastic amount of time to have given her your milk and you should be very proud. I wouldn't worry about weaning at that age AT ALL if Cadan stopped being interested.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 07:22:46 am »
Here's some neat info, Ali: http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/priscilla_colletto.html

This video was shared around my FB page a while back by the Milk Sharing group I'm a part of, I loved it:  Ignorance Meets Knowledge (extended breastfeeding)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:35 am »
oh, and yes, I know for sure Ds1 is fine with dairy. We do give him homo cow/goats milk. Ds2 is MSPI (and I suspect has other intolerences but we are still trying to rule those out, so my diet is VERY limited ATM... :-\, Im currently dairy, soy, gluten, egg free, AND will be starting a low Salicylate diet as well if things don't show improvement soon :( ) so, I'm hoping he will grow out of the MPI and whatever other intolerences in time, however that will have to be figured out down the road. I understand MPI takes at least until 12-18 months to subside if they will grow out of it. But, that's all the more reason for me to continue extended/tandem nursing.   

OH, and I wanted to share this - it's somewhat off topic TBH, but facinating for BF"ing mothers, especially extended nursing ones - explaining the importance of BM in producing healthy gut flora and preventing neurological disorders. Very compelling info: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/31/dr-natasha-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps-nutritional-program.aspx?e_cid=20110731_SNL_Art_1

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 09:44:23 am »
V you can't feel bad about being only 3m short of 2yr. That is fantastic.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2011, 23:29:46 pm »
Thanks for the link Rebecca. Interesting. Just as it says a lot of people are against extended breastfeeding but it really is just ignorance because they don't see mothers doing it. I was a bit confused about the bit in the video that mentioned a ban in the UK on public BFing??? That is ignorant. We actually have a law making it illegal to ask a BFing mother to stop Bfing in public although that only came in in Oct I believe. Most people don;t know about it though I don't think.
I'm not sure if my milk has changed but Cadan has found a new love for BFing. He is doing it for a ridiculous length of time (45mins tonight until I stopped him) at BT. Not sure if it is a new taste or something or he has just discovered he can delay BT if he keeps BFing. LOL. Mornings are still only about 6 mins each side but he often asks for milk, water or juice (fresh juice diluted with mostly water) first now. And he sometimes takes a few gulps of water then holds the cup (lid on and sport spout style sippy thing) while BFing.
Vicku how are things going with Sienna now?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 20:42:23 pm »
Thanks Rebecca. The video is from 2008 Ali, but there has never been a ban on BF in the UK just a misunderstanding about the laws.
http://www.babiesnappies.co.uk/2008/07/20/breastfeeding-in-public-the-laws-made-clear/

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 14:37:14 pm »
Just a quick update that Colby Charles arrived safe and sound on Saturday 13 Aug at 11.40pm by VBAC. We came home from hospital last night and I did my first tandem feed this morning. It was so cute, Cadan in the cradle hold lying along the feeding pillow and Colby in a rugby hold, his head resting on Cadan's hip. DH got a cute photo. Cadan was rubbing Colby's little head and it melted my heart. Ahhh so lovely!
Hope you other tandem feeding and pg mamas are doing well.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 16:23:58 pm »
Just a quick update that Colby Charles arrived safe and sound on Saturday 13 Aug at 11.40pm by VBAC. We came home from hospital last night and I did my first tandem feed this morning. It was so cute, Cadan in the cradle hold lying along the feeding pillow and Colby in a rugby hold, his head resting on Cadan's hip. DH got a cute photo. Cadan was rubbing Colby's little head and it melted my heart. Ahhh so lovely!
Hope you other tandem feeding and pg mamas are doing well.

LOVE THIS!! Congratulations Ali!! I'm so thrilled that you could do the tandem feed already! And congrats on a successful VBAC!! :D My, you have lots to celebrate! What a lovely name as well!! Ds1 is "Charles" too. ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2011, 21:48:33 pm »
Hi ladies, how are you all?
We are still tandem feeding but I actually tend to do most feeds separately since Colby is often still asleep when Cadan wakes in the morning (they are both lazy boneses like their mama TG) and Colby goes to bed before Cadan at night.
I have noticed that Cadan is not really hungry for breakfast like he used to be. I think it is because I have so much milk he is getting full from that in the morning. I tend to just do fruit for breakfast and then cereal later in the morning when we used to do a snack.
I'm not sure if Cadan is drinking all the milk in the mornings since Colby doesn't seem to be satisfied after his morning feed and often wants to feed for ages and go back to it an hour later or so. Plus that is the only feed he's taking both breasts. Do others have thos problem at all? I have thought about limiting Cadan to one side but he's always had both and likes to switch at his request so the one time I tried to tell him he had to save one for Colby he broke his little heart crying so I gave in and never tried again. Strangely if we feed them both at the same time he never asks for the side Colby is having and is happy to share with him. Colby is growing at an alarming rate, he's well above his line now and he'd put on 24oz in 13 days when I weighed him last week so he's not going hungry.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:19 am »
I had to limit k to one side if he ate 1st else b would have been hungry which happened a few times. Would c have his breakfast 1st and milk after colby? Or would he switch soon after starting so he left most of the 1st side for colby?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
Also sometimes i would switch position but not breasts so k would think he was getting the second side but wasn't.