Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184651 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:03 am »
BFing is good for mother and baby. The only time i can think of that too much would not be good is if the lo is over 12mo and is having so many BFs that they aren't eating enough solid foods.
Feeding during pregnancy is not harmful since the body Will take what it needs for the baby growing in the tummy first and then service the BFing and then mum's needs. Hope that answers your question.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~*~Janelle~*~

• Showing Appreciation 57
  • I'm Soooo Blessed!
    • Troyer Family Home Page
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2012, 15:08:13 pm »
If I'm not p/g, what could it be? Even during the two GS he has had, he never went this many days.

It could either have been a hormonal shift, if your cycle is returning.  I also read somewhere that it is not uncommon to have a dip in  supply around 3-4 months--I don't know why, but that has always been the time I experienced it.  Sorry, I wish I had a more scientific explanation!
The Mommy Formerly Known As Savannah&Abby&Luke's Mommy
Blessed beyond belief mommy to 8 precious gifts from God

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2012, 22:56:03 pm »
Are you feeding through pg this time Jannelle? Any thoughts on going tandem?

Offline ~*~Janelle~*~

• Showing Appreciation 57
  • I'm Soooo Blessed!
    • Troyer Family Home Page
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2012, 21:00:42 pm »
I am continuing to breastfeed because my little one will not take a bottle.  I do not want to tandem nurse...I have enough going on in my life, the last thing I need is to breastfeed 2 little ones (unless I have twins, of course!)
The Mommy Formerly Known As Savannah&Abby&Luke's Mommy
Blessed beyond belief mommy to 8 precious gifts from God

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2012, 21:14:20 pm »
Bring on the sippy cup then Janelle.

Any news Atlanta?

I think 3m is when your supply is "established" so it can dip.

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2012, 21:14:43 pm »
Hi Ladies, I'm mum to a lo who will be 1 on Friday and we are still feeding, he is a right boobie monster. He has three to four feeds a day and at least one in the night (I've posted on other boards about trying to address his night feeds). I've just discovered that I'm pregnant again  ;D , very early days only about 3 or 4 weeks. I've just been reading this board and I'm worried that my lo might be trying to feed more (as he has over the past 3 days) because of lack of supply, is that possible already? Although I love feeding him (and I'm chuffed because I was told my lo would NEVER learn to bf by MW), I have found the last few months tiring because of the night feeds. I'm also worried that my little man will become frustrated if I don't produce any milk or the taste changes for him and I don't want him to have any negative associations about this and weaning. Would it be better to try and wean him before he becomes frustrated do you think?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2012, 21:22:47 pm »
I guess that depends on your lo. Does he like the comfort as well as the nutrition? Did you want to BF for a particular length of time? Since he is nearly 1 he doesn't need the milk as much now so if he gets a little less for a while it isn't the end of the world as long as he has a balanced diet. I would let him feed when he wants to to keep your supply up if you wish to continue. I did find I had a drop right at the beginning but it picked up quick soon after and was ok for the rest of the pg. I think it can vary though.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2012, 22:31:18 pm »
I think he is too young to pick up any negative associations that you'd need to worry about. Personally I would continue feeding in the day at least (the NFs will keep your supply up but sleep would be more important to me at this stage) and if he loses interest because of any changes that occur with the milk you can use that as an easy way to wean *if* you wish.
I got pg with my DS2 when DS1 was 11mo and we weaned a NF at 12.5mo using PD and walk out. DH did it over the period of a week. There were times that DS1 lost interest in the boob but I kept offering and let him refuse if he wanted because I wanted to Bf him for 2 years. Now he's just turned 2 and we just dropped to one BF a day at BT. I'm kind of wishing I let it peter out naturally when his interest was waning as I'm finding it hard to BF two now and he is back to being a boobie addict so I'm having to actively wean which he isn't so happy about. I am happy I made it to two years and experienced tandem feeding though.
And BOO to your MW who said your Lo would never BF!

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2012, 22:11:03 pm »
Thank you Khalam's Mum and Ali for responding. He is a real comfort sucker this little fella. I had in my mind that I would feed for 1 year and he will be 1 on Friday so whooop whooop!

I now think that I would like him to self-wean, when he is ready. Being honest I would hope this is within the next few months so that I get a little bit of a rest before the next little bubba arrives - is that selfish? Ali if my little fella loses interest like your little man did then I don't think I would offer him it because as you say it seems a natural way to wean and I would be really happy with this approach.  I can't see this happening to be honest but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Interestingly (or perhaps not), my little man has fed every hour today, it's been draining to say the least. He is unwell (and on antibiotics at the moment) with a sore throat and ear infection but he has wanted boob constantly all day. He has been unwell since Wednesday so I'm surprised by his sudden desire to feed more now. Do you think this is the illness or my supply? My boobs feel soooo empty and I did begin to worry about my supply but given I'm only 3/4 weeks pg then it can't be low supply can it? Any advice?

WOW 2 years and tandem feeding - I take my hat off to you!

Ali,

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2012, 22:19:39 pm »
I would think it is the illness making him feed so often. Is he eating solids ok? I'm not surprise your breasts feel empty. I imagine they aren't used to being sipped every hour. Frequent feeding will help your supply. I was quite strict and set times when he could feed and if he asked in addition to these times I said it wasn't boobie time and that he would have boobje time after his nap or at bt or whenever. That helped him know what to expect and helped me feel I wasn't at his mercy all day. I don't know if that is an approach that appeals to you. I would wait until after he is better though. He may lose interest if the milk changes, you never know.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2012, 22:27:50 pm »
DS1 seemed to find a new found desire to BF when I was pg. I think he liked the taste more.

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2012, 19:57:14 pm »
My gut instinct is that he is nursing more frequently because he feels unwell. He has been latched on ALL day. It doesn't help that we do baby signing so he just does the sign in my face every few minutes!

I will wait to see how he is tomorrow. Saying all that he has been screeching for it - is that normal? He doesn't normally do that, perhaps he'll get a little impatient but today he has literally screeched at me until I get it out - there isn't a growth spurt at 1 year that I'm not aware of is there?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2012, 20:02:57 pm »
I don't think it's a gs. I always kept BFing to certain times in the routine so never really fed on demand once he could sign or speak. I think it's just a phase. It's up to you if you just want to oblige or try to distract him or just get stricter on when bfs happen. Can he be distracted with a story or another drink.or snack?

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2012, 20:17:24 pm »
Hello ladies, me back with another question. The last three days I have noticed that whilst feeding my little man during the evening and throughout the night, i feel incredibly sick and get a headache. I seem to be okay during the day but it's just evening onwards. It's awful - could this be because of my pregnancy (I'm only 5 weeks).....?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2012, 21:34:08 pm »
I didn't find it at any particular time of day but I did find for the 1st 3 months I felt sick whenever I BF DS. I know the hormones for NF are highest at night (hence why we often get night sweats when BFing) so maybe that is something to do with why you feel worse at that time.
Can you try to nibble something before you feed to see if that helps??? Maybe also you are more tired then. Are you getting enough rest?