Author Topic: Baby Led Weaners with fussy eaters? 13 month old  (Read 2108 times)

Offline zebstiredmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Baby Led Weaners with fussy eaters? 13 month old
« on: January 30, 2011, 22:47:12 pm »
Hi all

Just wondering if any of you BLWs out there have fussy eaters?  

My DS has always been fussy  :P, he's now 13 months, and has never really liked being spoon fed, so we've always done a combination.  I have the BLW recipe book, but DS seems to be very clear about what he likes (sausages, fishfingers, baked potato, omelette, anything blended into a pasta sauce with chunky pasta, roast meat, carrots peas and quite a bit more, but basically quite plain food, and apart from the pasta sauces nothing too 'messy')  He has rejected anything with minced meat, all other veg (unless hidden in pasta sauce or in soup).  Soo I end up giving him the same foods, and every now and then try him again with something new (tried stir fry a few times but he wasn't impressed)

I'm going to try again with the minced meat in Shepherd pie form, and leave the big chunks as BLW recipe says.  

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue (trying BLW but baby only liking 'solid' food)?  Makes BLW hard as he point blank won't eat more adventurous foods, so still having to come up with a separate meal for him!  (Lunches are always eaten with him and is usually baked potato, pasta or omelette) Dinners we eat with him about 3 nights a week.  Oh - he won't eat rice or cous cous - I think he just doesn't like the texture of some things.  He'll eat brown rice risotto.  And bizarrely enough he won't eat homemade spag bol, but he'll let me spoon feed him Organix spag bol out of a jar, and organix moroccan lamb out of a jar ???

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:43:08 am by ~Martina~ »

Emma

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Baby Led Weaners with fussy eaters? 13 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:53 am »
Hi Emma, I hope you don't mind but I'm just going to pop this over to Eating for Toddlers for you since your DS is over a year.  Hopefully you'll get some eyes over there as well.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 14:47:59 pm »
hi emma, well done! I think thats a pretty extensive list of foods for a 13 month old child!

We struggled with rice (and pasta) til DS was well over 18 months old, so maybe try again in a while and see how you get on. I bought the baby heinz rice for a while, the pieces were more like risotto sized and worked a bit better.

But go mama, you are doing very well with him!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline zebstiredmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 19:49:13 pm »
Thanks Lilisuze!  I was just feeling a bit unsure as from reading BLW I got the impression that babies will try anything!  He is very clear about his likes, so I'll just keep trying him on new stuff every now and then.  He's a real carnivore - just loves chewing on chunks of meat!  No slop for him thank you very much!! (apart from the aforementioned 2 baby food jars - random or what!!) ;)

Emma

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 20:16:50 pm »
Jakobs definately gone off certain foods and he was a 100% BLW (except porridge or shreddies when we had to do the school run- messy!)

he used to love tomatoes, cucumber and melon and now might play with it but wont eat it.  he loves to get his hands in a bowl of soup tho lol, so i cant help u there!

will your LO feed himself with loaded spoons or practice dipping bread into soup/stew etc

Offline inoella

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 20:30:19 pm »
I think thats a pretty extensive list of foods for a 13 month old child!
I agree!
My DD is 15 months and is much pickier. She absolutely refused to be spoon fed from the very beginning so that's how I ended up doing BLW. :) She's quite good with utensils now but still enjoys using her fingers too. I don't think all babies are adventurous and it's pretty normal to like bland foods for a while. I just make sure to offer her foods on her "acceptable" list for most meals and offer her what we're eating as well. You're not alone and your LO sounds quite normal. :)
*Jaci*