Author Topic: EWs at 13.5 Mos... Please Help Us Fix This!!  (Read 3944 times)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
EWs at 13.5 Mos... Please Help Us Fix This!!
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:40:12 pm »
Our son is 13 ½ months old. He has been early waking for about the last month (around 5 or 5:30), but it’s getting worse. He used to often go back to sleep after a feeding then, for another 45 minutes or an hour, but now he cries and cries if we don’t get him up. That seems to wake his older brother, so the days are getting off to a bad start.  :(

Have looked through the posts but think some eyes on this would really be helpful in adjusting whatever we can to fix this for a more normal wakeup. He used to get up between 6 and 7, which was great!

Here’s what yesterday into this morning’s 4:43 wakeup looked like (btw, I have tried waiting to go in and the crying escalates, waking the house up). He does fall asleep independently for night and naps. He is teething but we’re giving meds to help.
Wake 5:04
Eat 5:05 for about 15 minutes (breastfed just first thing in morning and before bed now).
A: play (throughout all these feed times)
E 6:50 – solids
E 8:00 Milk
S 8:37-10 (woke up happy)

E 11:00 solids
A stroller ride, playing
E 1:10 Milk (lots of it, which usually happens when teething)
S: 1:36-2:45
A play

E: 5:30 – lots of solids
A: bath @6:25
E: ~9 minutes before bed
S: 7:10 (took him about 10 min to fall asleep)

A next morning 4:43 a.m.
just fell asleep at 8:25

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: EWs at 13.5 Mos... Please Help Us Fix This!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 17:38:14 pm »
Hi there

If he is teething that can very well be playing a part of it, even with meds.  We tend to get more EWs when teeth are involved.

I also think that the morning nap being so early is just perpetuating the EW cycle and you need to push that am nap back a bit.  I know it means a really long A time in the morning after an EW, but otherwise it is more like his EW is just a really long NWing to him since he gets to go back to bed so early.

It might be time to start thinking about the 2-1 nap transition as well.  Here is a link with some info:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

I'm going to have this post moved over to the toddler sleep forum since your LO is over a year.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 22:46:57 pm »
I've moved the post over here to toddler sleep as requested.
What was his sleeping routine before the early waking started? Was he still on 2 long naps like he is now? What about his morning WU and BT?
Are you medicating before BT? If so I imagine they have worn off by the EW or are you med'ing again overnight?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 23:19:51 pm by CADIE'S MUM »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 23:18:00 pm »
Thank you! Do you mean how was his sleep before the early wakeups started? Pretty good for about a month after weaning him off night feedings (that was a whole other thread. :-). He'd go to sleep around 7 or by 7:30 at the latest, was usually up around 6:30, 7 a.m. on a late morning. Not a lot of changes in naps - about 3.5 to 3:45 A time with two naps. If anything, he's no longer taking the nearly two hr one he'd often have. Now there's usually one nap of around an hour ten minutes and another about an hour and a half.

We only medicate before bedtime, so am sure that it is worn off by morning. Don't know how to address that, since he is seemingly wide awake at morning. Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 23:28:42 pm »
Well the teething shouldn't last forever so you may have to just hold out for them to pop through the gums and give him some relief. i have heard some people go in and re-medicate in the night so the meds are still working in the morning but I have never tried this.
So as Martina mentioned above this may have all started because he was probably getting too much day sleep for his age. I think most toddlers around 13-14mo are having 1 long (1.5-2hrs) and one short nap (30-45mins or less) if they haven't already moved to one nap. Have a look at the link Martina posted for you about the 2:1 transition and also these links and see if some gradual A time extension and nap cutting and capping can help him be more tired and sleep longer overnight.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=41952.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=212216.0

HTH

Ali
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 23:38:40 pm »
I agree that it is probably time to start the 2-1 nap transition.  Also, you can try a dreamfeed of meds if you are so inclined.  I've never tried, but some moms swear by this.  You would just sneak the meds into his mouth while he is sleeping.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 17:29:08 pm »
Well, it took him til about 7 last night to fall asleep and then we got a 3:32 screaming wakeup. I went in after a few minutes, held him and he kept crying. Gave him pain meds, changed his diaper (just in case) and wound up nursing him to calm him down. Around 4 I tried putting him in his crib, steady and escalating crying. Held him, then put him in crib and settled by keeping my hand on his back. He went to sleep around 4:28. Woke at 6:10.

Put him down for nap 1 at 10:12 (so pushed A time to 4 hrs... had been between 3.5 and 3.45) and he slept for an hour fifteen minutes. Has been quite clingy today. Hmmm....

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 17:58:09 pm »
Sounds like teeth are likely causing some discomfort. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »
There is definitely discomfort or something (can OT cause random night crying, though?)? He was crying at 11:15, 1, 4 overnight. Then up at 4:46. :-( I fed him and tried putting him in his crib. Gave up after 15 minutes as he was just sitting there crying (with me next to the crib). So today is going to be all wonkly. Argh!

Yesterday looked like this:
A 6:10 (second waking)
S 10:12- 1 hr 15 minutes

Next S 3:12 - 50 minutes and very unhappy to be awake

S 7:00 pm

DH was going to put him for nap a bit after 3.5 hrs this morning as he was really worried about OT. I know today will be a mess. What time should we try BT? Any other thoughts?

We can try moving to one nap but it seems so early. ODS was around 18-20 mos when he went to one nap.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »
Yes, they cry out randomly when OT as they are sleeping so restlessly.

I agree that you don't want to jump straight to one nap.  It can be a rather long transition, especially when dealing with teeth and OT as well.  What you want to do is shorten one of those naps to 45mins.  We always did a short am nap followed by a short A time and then a longer pm nap of hopefully 1.5-2hrs. 

So you could try something like:
10 nap for 45mins
1:30 nap for 1.5-2hrs
7pm bedtime

If you have a really bad day with short naps, I would do bedtime at 6:30 to try and get caught up on some sleep.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 15:45:44 pm »
Thanks, Martina! (BTW, I think you were helping me through some night feeding issues not all that long ago. :))

So would you do the four hour A time even after a very early waking (last night he got about 9 hrs 45 minutes sleep if my calculations are right)? Pretty sure we're starting to get some OT going on, so I think I'm going to try an early bedtime tonight. I like your suggestion on the daytime schedule.

Need to pull out the EASY logs from ODS, too. We remember having to start waking him from naps at some point to straighten out early wakings. DH says he was just as bad about waking early, but I must have blurred that from my memory. Neither one of ours seems to be a night owl, but this is crazy.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 15:53:08 pm »
I would have a cutoff for the nap where it is no earlier than 10 no matter what time he wakes up, just because you don't want him encourage him to wake earlier by getting to have an early nap, kwim?  Then again, I tend to just push through long A times and OT myself.  :P

I was probably trying to help you out because our LO's are the same age!!  ;D  It always helps to hear from people who are going through the same stages.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 16:20:16 pm »
Thanks! He wound up going for his first nap closer to 3 hrs 45 minutes and slept about an hr 25 (so that didn't move us closer to the shorter nap, DH just didn't want to keep him up that long). Second nap, he had trouble going to sleep, was up for 4 hrs 10 minutes A time and slept just over an hour.

I got him to sleep by 6:40 and did not hear a peep from him (whew) until he woke. At 3:55. UGH. Gave him meds, nursed him, tried to get him to sleep with, put my hand on his back to keep him there but as soon as I left he popped up and started cried loudly and didn't stop. So DH came up, got him and asked me to fix a bottle of milk. LO took 4 ounces (so maybe hungry, but don't really want a 5 am feeding habit, although I guess we have one already). Then he rubbed his eyes and when I put him in his crib he was quiet.

I heard one or two settling cries out of him and then he was out from about 5:10 to 7. Wowza. What a tangled schedule we have here.

Think DH is going to stick to at least 3 hrs 45 minutes for a week for the first A time (I cannot convince him yet to stretch it past 10 if LO is up at 4 something). I am going to try for another early BT tonight to see if we still have some OT going on. Any suggestions?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 16:39:16 pm »
Ugh, still sounds like those darn teeth I think!  :P

I think you are doing everything you can really with the A times and bedtime.  You might need to hold steady and ride out the teething before things get predictable again.  :-\
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 17:23:03 pm »
He had his finger in his mouth most of the morning (at least when I was home), so I think you are right! Am thinking that we need to watch he doesn't get OT because that plus the teeth may make it really hard for him to sleep through changes in sleep cycles.

Thanks! We are going to try to be steady and see what happens, but it is probably time to get to at least a 3 hr 45 min A time (he's done it before)?

Lots going on developmentally, too, of course. Last night he actually managed to feed himself applesauce with a spoon (and with tipping the container so he could stick his mouth in it). He was a mess but very very proud. lol