Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 3  (Read 59350 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 3
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 19:01:59 pm »
10 peas????? Yay!!!

I had two successes today. 1. Getting her to actually take the stupid spoon and feed herself a bit. This has been an ongoing test in patience. Until now, she's had zero interest. And 2. Got her to eat some rice. Just needed a lot of sauce to make it wet and glop it together. Also a lot sweeter so she ate the majority of a small bowl mixed with chicken and chopped veg.

Keep up the great work!
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 19:51:44 pm »
Thats brilliant! Well done! No more successes here yet xx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 18:50:36 pm »
Hi ladies, I've been in and out orvthis thread like the okey kokey!
Back again! My lo is nearly 2 and feeds himself with a spoon at nursery but at home wants me to feed him or just refuses to eat. So nursery ask me to stop helping him at home because he is starting to regress at nursery!  Today was day 1 of the mummy not feeding you, you need to do it like a clever big boy! Disaster, very little eaten and I have a hungry boy in bed....... :-(.  Anyone have any ideas of how long it may take for this to work itself out if I stick to my guns on not giving in dnd 'helping' ? Most upsetting!
My boy is 4!

Offline Etsy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:28 am »
would love to hear if this is a common thing, all of a sudden my son wants me to feed him all the time! At school he is still fine, if my hubby feeds him and I am not there he eats by himself. What is this about?

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
Oh interesting theme emerging.....mummy manipulation eh! :-)
My boy is 4!

Offline Etsy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 12:40:43 pm »
I think it is. Need to get this sorted ....:)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 15:11:12 pm »
Hi ladies, I had been on and off of this thread over the summer and haven't been on for awhile.  My DS is 17 months and is a picky eater.  I was wondering the same thing about spoon feeding.  DS was on a kick for awhile where he was trying to spoon feed himself, but he is now getting very angry when I try to make him do it.  Maybe it is a phase for all of our LOs? What age are they "supposed" to be feeding themselves with a spoon? With a fork? I have been letting him use his hands for the most part and not sure now if we should be moving away from that...

Have you noticed that your LOs are trying to have you do other things more often in addition to the spoon feeding? For example, my DS is great with puzzles and I will hand him a puzzle piece and he'll hand it back to me because he wants me to do it (even though he can do it).  I've noticed this trend so I wonder if it's some phase that doesn't just have to do with eating.
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 18:05:58 pm »
Hmmnn, I'm not to sure about the help with other things, interesting point. My lo is keen to be in control of most things but is quick to ask for help with many things! When toys break, trickier puzzles but typically more if he is tired. I know other moms who have said about their toddlers switching from fiercely feeding themselves to wanting mommy to do it. My lo has always been spoon fed by me as he had never really shown interest in doing it himself. His nursery have taught him to feed himself over last few months, which is great. However now he is regressing at nursery they won't take any truck with him so I've got to follow their lead and insist on self feed at home. It is so very tough as your instinct is to feed and nourish your child but I guess these kids need to learn boundaries. I'm going to stick with it and if food isn't eaten then it is removed and offered just thf once more 5 or 10 mins later and if further refused that is it till next meal. I think my hair will turn grey tho! :-(
My boy is 4!

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 18:09:00 pm »
Etsy, let's work together on this mummy manipulation as it is tough. How old is you lo? :-)
My boy is 4!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:52 am »
Eventually they will learn that you will not fold and they either eat or go hungry.  You MUST be a stickler and hold your ground, expect some regression and also some retrying of the boundaries later on. 
Of note NO child will willing starve themselves.  Either they have a genuine issue (texture intolerance/sensitivity, allergy/intolerance they can't tell you etc) or they are 'playing the parents' so see what happens.  NOT maliciously, just "what happens if ...?" the same as when they investigate new toys etc.
I know that with my DS2 if he is tired, FORGET him eating a decent meal without some help.  Spoon feeding on nights when he is borderline OT is almost a given.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Etsy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 11:03:12 am »
Hi

Lisa I would love to work together on this. My LO is will be 3 in November so much older and has been feeding himself since he was 15 months old. Nothing has changed recently so dont think its anything like that, we are been strong and trying to get him to eat, which he did this morning but it is a challenge with every meal. He is very sensitive so if you make a big fuss he gets upset and then wont eat at all. But this morning was good and will have to keep trying. How is it going on your side? Any ideas:)

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 20:14:28 pm »
Hi Ladies. I have created a new post about my son's picky eating which is really making me low. If someone could look at it and offer some support/advice/shoulder to cry on then I would really appreciate it x
DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 20:04:22 pm »
Hi, sorry it's making u so low, try not too let it. I'll have s look for your post and come back to you altho my resolve and nerves are pretty weak / so not the best source of found advice.....but you are certainly not alone!!!! :-)
My boy is 4!

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 20:32:32 pm »
Ah thanks Lisa. I've just been catching up on this thread and see I'm not alone!!! Have had lots of help on my thread and feel more positive now (well for now anyway lol!)
DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 13:27:00 pm »
Hiya, any about on this thread anymore?