Author Topic: 7mo Night Wakings every 1-2 hours!!!  (Read 961 times)

Offline sdaeffler

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nico Joe
7mo Night Wakings every 1-2 hours!!!
« on: September 20, 2011, 16:52:36 pm »
We started EASY a little over a week ago.  The great thing is he seems to be eating more, and more effectively (he's been a little underweight thus far).  Also, he's putting himself to sleep with very little assistance from me.  I haven't had to do PU/PD in a couple of days for naps or bedtime.  If he cries, I need only to place my hand on his back for a few moments to calm him down or get him to sleep.  This is huge and I'm very happy with the progress.

The bad news is he is waking more than ever at night!  The past two nights, he woke up at 12:30am and EVERY hour after that until 4:30am.  I've been giving him a nursing at those 4:30am wake ups the past couple of nights just to get him to go back to sleep for a few hours and it seems to work - he will then go back to sleep without waking until 7am.  So last night, he was up 3 times between 12:30 and 1:30 but went back to sleep immediately after I placed my hand on his back.  Then he woke up again at 2:30.  Again at 3:30.  And again at 4:30.  I don't get it!!!???  What am I doing wrong?  I'm so happy that his eating and getting off to sleep has improved significantly, but I don't understand why he is waking up so much at night.  I considered the possibility of these things:

Wet diaper - last night I changed him after his 10:30 dreamfeed and his 4:30am feed.  His diapers do get pretty wet, but that's never seemed to bother him in the past.  I typically load him up with butt paste and let him go all night without a change.

Teething - He got 2 bottom teeth a month and a half ago.  I wonder if he has teeth coming in but he's not really showing symptoms.  I can't see or feel any new ones coming through and he isn't at all fussy during the day so I don't think teething is the issue.

Temperature - I thought maybe he was too cold so I put him in warmer PJ's last night.  No change.  I think the temp in his nursery is just right. 

Fever - he doesn't have one. 

Here's our EASY schedule as of late:
7:15 - Nurse
8:30 - Solids
10:00 - Nap: 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hr
11:30 - Nurse
12:30 - Solids
2:00 - Nap: 1 1/2 - 2 hr
3:30 - Nurse
5:30 - Solids
8:00- Bed
10:30 - Dreamfeed
12:30 - Awake?!
1:30 - Awake
2:30 - Awake
3:30 - Awake
4:30 - Awake (and nurse)
7:00 - Awake

I'm fairly positive it's not reflux or colic, he doesn't have any of those symptoms.  He has had an "Angel Baby" demeanor since birth and slept AMAZING for the first 6 months.  He now seems to have the same demeanor with "Spirited Baby" sleep symptoms.  Obviously, I'm exhausted and tired but I'm functional.  I'm just more worried about him and what I'm doing wrong.

Offline einatm

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:11 am »
From past experience every hour with my daughter was discomfort - whether it is fever, pain or temperature problem. Have you checked them all? I always rule out discomfort first (and also take my babies to the doctor before i start treating a behavioral problem).

If all is good - i would wait for another 2 nights and if it persists, i would put him to sleep a half hour earlier. I think this also might be the case. I know putting my son to sleep a half hour earlier might improve our current problem, but i can't since i have another toddler. If you can't move his bedtime earlier try suggesting a CN to take the edge off. 4 hours between last nap to bedtime sounds alot.

I hope it will help.