Author Topic: PLEASE HELP us get our 2 yr old BACK in HER crib NOT our bed!  (Read 1085 times)

Offline dianamomma

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So about 2 months ago my husband and I started to allow our little 2 yr old girl to sleep in our bed between us. We felt she needed us close for a little while. Now we need her back in her bed. We are not getting the sleep we need and although in the beginning things were ok they are not now.

How can we get our barely 2 yr old back in her crib? We tried doing her routine (jammies, teeth, book,etc) and then I rubbed her back in HER crib then left, but all she did was cry for 45 min until I could not take it any longer and brought her back in. I then tried just putting her in there without rubbing back very matter of factly, but she cried for an hour very intently as if she were saying "I will do this ALL night if I have to" Please help!!!

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: PLEASE HELP us get our 2 yr old BACK in HER crib NOT our bed!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 21:35:12 pm »
Just tagging along for tips if that's ok? We have fallen into the same trap due to illness and teething, which has just gone on for weeks, and now I am sure DD is waking in the night just to come in our bed! She does still fall asleep in her cot independently and naps are no problem, but I need to stop bringing her in with us when she wakes in the night. Hope someone can offer us some help.

Offline dianamomma

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 21:01:45 pm »
Anyone??? Please?? =)

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 21:03:08 pm »
Hi there, exactly how old is your LO? And can you post her routine: WU, nap, BT :)
How does she settle and where, for naps?
x
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline lpperry

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 21:12:48 pm »
You made the decision to allow her to sleep with you and now you are going to have to put some hard work into getting her back to her crib.  You may have some tough nights ahead, but you can do it!

You know now that just putting her in her crib and leaving her isn't going to work. She's going to be upset because she doesn't understand why she is back in the crib.  She liked sleeping with you guys! 

My approach would be to stay in the room with her until she falls asleep. As long as you are with her, I would let her cry all she wants. You need to be firm now. This is your bed, Mommy will stay here with you.  Find what calms her down that doesn't involve you holding her, rocking her, laying with her.  It could be a hand on her back, it could be patting, it could be rubbing her head, whatever.  Probably nothing is going to calm her initially because she doesn't know you are serious yet since you have given in once she cried long enough.  If you give in to her crying, she's not going to learn to sleep in her crib. She'll just cry until you give in. I think that when you make the decision to put her back in her own crib, you cannot ever take her into your bed again--not if she cries all night, not if she is sick, not "just this once.

If you can, I would lay her down when she stands up, but if that is a big struggle, I'd just sit in a chair next to her bed and be with her. Don't be surprised if it takes over an hour.  It probably will for at least the first day until she knows you mean business. 

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 19:51:43 pm »
Hi, just wondered how things are going? We started two nights ago with a ban on our bed!! I set up a makeshift bed in DD's room next to her cot and when she first woke I went in and stayed there until she was in a deep sleep. It was a bit tough with a few mins of major screaming and pointing at the door. But mostly if I kept my hand on her when she lay down it was ok. My plan was to repeat again last night but I didn't need to, she woke three times but each time I only needed a quick back rub and shushing and she went straight back to sleep and I could WO. Hope things are going well for you?