Author Topic: Nap dodging again.  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Nap dodging again.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 20:39:01 pm »
Hi Philippa, feel free to start your own post in toddler sleep if you like? Could your LO be in pain, teething or anything? Might be an idea for us to look at her routine too.

Lemonthyme hope you're getting on ok :-*
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 21:04:14 pm »
Awesome actually!  I thought about this post today when I was taking my son up for a nap.  Normally we go upstairs, I change his nappy, read some stories to him then then put him down.  Today he said he wanted to get down and didn't want a story.  Then when he got down, he walked to his cot, pointed at it and when I said "are you tired" he said yes!

Close curtains, put down for a nap, asleep in less than 10 mins.

He did wake up early mind but he would often do that and be grouchy but no, he went back to sleep on me and we had a cuddly snooze for another 40 mins, meaning a 1 hour 40 mins nap.  Result!  I think, hope, the previous wobble was illness.

One thing I did learn though is if he got really upset in a bouncing round the cot way, it was often separation anxiety so staying with him while he dropped off in the same room helped and he fell asleep.  Whereas previously in desperation I would have picked him up which never worked.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 21:46:41 pm »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. That's great about your sons nap today!  let's hope that things continue on like that! 

I'm thinking more and more that my DD just needs to gently move to a later lunchtime nap.  I'll try it tomorrow.  Your view about staying in the room when they are bouncing in the cot screaming is an interesting point. I always end up picking her up and that's it, nap time over!  Will try your method next time!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 13:59:06 pm »
Well it worked a couple of times and once in the night when he got upset because he was ill.  All I did was lie him down shhing him and then sat next to him.  He opened his eyes a couple of times to check I was there but then went off.  Not deliberately but next time I left before he was asleep but he was on his way, the next time I left while he was still awake but had calmed down.  I'd love to say it was some kind of strategy for him not to get used to it but in all honesty it was because I get very easily bored by sitting and doing nothing.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/