Author Topic: Ounces per bottle  (Read 1096 times)

Offline delecto

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 30, 2011, 00:50:39 am »
Hi all. DA turned 5 months yesterday and is combo breast & bottle fed. I bf in the am and twice at night, then he gets about 3 bottles of ebm when I'm at work. He's generally eating every 3 hours - 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and a 7:30pm top off. Sometimes he wakes at 3ish to eat

When I first went back to work, DH (who's home with him) let him eat as much as he wanted (sometimes 6, 7 even 9 oz). Well I couldnt keep up with that with pumping so we now feed him about 4.5oz per bottle. He generally seems happy with that amount. In the last week or two, he's been going longer between feedings, up to 4 hours. So my question is, should we up the amt he gets per bottle? What's "normal" or average for a 5 month old. Obviously I don't know what he gets when he eats directly from the source so it makes it tricky. And will getting him more calories during the day help get rid of that occasional 3am feeding?

Thanks!!
Mom to Caleb, born 7/28/11 and Evelyn, born 7/10/14

Offline flutie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Ounces per bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:44:24 am »
Maybe you could offer him more and he will space out his feedings to 4ish hours.  We bottlefeed our ds EBM and from all the research I have done, babies will average 25 oz of breastmilk a day, until well established on solids, and then a slight decrease...our son is 6 months and eats 4 times plus a df, and usually takes 5-6 ounces each bottle.
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:25:09 am »
My ds is ff and he is 5.5 months.....he drinks 4 bottles a day of 8-9oz each. No nf ings.
Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:46:00 am »
Breast milk and formula are extremely different in terms of calorie/fat content... BM adapts as baby grows - therefore the average of 25 ozs holds steady over time... not true of formula though as it remains the same all the time :)

If he is draining the bottle, add a little more :)

The other thing is to pump at times that are best supply wise (morning).

Gonna suggest we move this to breastfeeding since it more about BF than anything :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 19:46:10 pm »
If he is draining the bottle, add a little more
I would add an extra oz and see  does he take it.  I know how precious BM is and you don't  want to waste it but if he spreading out his feeding times he probably will need more per bottle. 

Offline delecto

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 19:18:51 pm »
Ok great - I'll have DH give him maybe 5 or 5.5 oz next week and we'll see what happens. It's been nice having a couple days off during the holidays to not have to worry about it!!
Thanks all :)
Mom to Caleb, born 7/28/11 and Evelyn, born 7/10/14