Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62592 times)

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2012, 06:07:23 am »
Mmmm, pasta with roasted veg, Erica you've inspired me... :)

Babes under one shouldn't have more than 1 gr of salt per day. Adults are allowed up to 7 gr - so a bit of salt on your home-cooked pasta meal isn't going to do you any harm but do keep it off his for now!
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:53 am »
I think the least said about amount of salt that adults should have the better... (she finishes her friday maccas...) (hamish is tucked up in bed)

On the healthier side- we made some of the potato pancakes off Lemon THyme's blog- I added some sweet potato- they were GREAT!! I put some sour cream on the top of his... full fat- it doesn;t have salt, or carbs or anything... that's ok isn;t it? It's not like he had heaps.. or he was drinking it.. he hoovered them (There are some things he doesnt hoover up too... He's still not convinced on the ice block front... perhaps when i eventually let him have a real sugar+chocolate one he;ll change his mind..)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2012, 14:16:14 pm »
Newsflash...

Abi ate!!!!

Her and Ben had spag Bol last night and she actually tucked in with some enthusiasm! Now I just have to stop myself giving it to her all the time ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2012, 14:26:26 pm »
Great news steph.

We are taking a break from solids and sticking to breast milk for stew days since Colby has a virus that is giving him diarrhoea. Dr said to just BF and give a bottle of rehydration salts if he'll take it (which he hadn't so far). So I've have to eat half the sweet potato and butternut squash I steamed a big batch of and have frozen the rest. *Sigh*
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2012, 14:35:39 pm »
Katy - you mentioned a while ago that you were giving Hamish some little meatball / sausage / rissole type things. Do you have a recipe to share? I think sofia might like them...

Went back to doing fingers of steamed sweet potato today (I feel like we're starting again a bit after the stomach virus as she hasn't really eaten for about a week) and she coped with them easily, but still not eating a huge amount.

Ali - hope colby hasn't got what we've had, it's been miserable! Get well soon little man. x

Oh and any advice on what shape to cut a cucumber into? I tried a thick round cut in half and sort of hollowed it out a little so it was more like a crescent. Is a stick better or do they end up biting off a lump from the end?

Offline Papaya

« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2012, 14:43:53 pm »
Oh no Ali, hope he comes right soon!

I think sour cream would be fine, Katy - it's just dairy, right? Go the spag bol, Steph!

F seems to enjoy the novelty of sorbet iceblocks, but sometimes after a few minutes she obviously just thinks they're too cold for her to eat as quickly as she wants! So I put some in a bowl, leave it to soften and let her go at it with the spoon too. Just over the past week or two she's really been mastering the spoon actually, and she often requests one if I haven't put one out for her. ('poon. poon' :)) She doesn't make much mess with it at all most of the time.

Rachel: I always do cucumber in sticks. She scrapes out the middle and only rarely bites a piece of (and never did before she had teeth).  I also make rissoles for F just as I would for us but with no salt - so minced meat of choice with finely chopped onion, garlic, herbs, a dab of tomato paste, any finely chopped or grated veg you want to add, breadcrumbs or oats and an egg to bind it all. Sorry if that's not much help, I never do it quite the same way twice so don't have a recipe!
*Nuala*

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2012, 19:21:30 pm »
Thanks Nuala, will do a bit of experimenting.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2012, 21:00:10 pm »
Steph- did she the photos of Hamish with the spag bol and realise all the cool kids are doing it? Great!

Rach: I just do something like Nuala, add in as much veg as i can. HEre is a recipe that i used off Lemonthyme's blog. http://mamacook.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/mini-meatloaf-recipe-for-babies-and.html What she does that's interesting is cook them in mini muffin tins- it's easier to fill the tins rather than rolling the balls (not that rolling balls is THAT hard.. but you know) and hen they cook the botom that is in the pan is a little softer, doesn't have a crust bit.. so is a litle easier for the babies to eat....

WHen not following a recipe my basic rissole/meatball recipe is something like: 500g mince (usually beef, but you could use pork or something too), a grated carrot, or zucchini, add in a few pieces of grated broccoli (my guy wont eat broccoli yet..) a grated onion, some cheese (1/2 cup?) breadcrumbs (1/2 cup?) an egg, sometimes something like brown rice or quinoa cooked (usually about 2 ice cubes worth) then mix it all up and pan fry or bake them.. I always use my hands to mix. The vegetables included are up to you really- anything will work pretty much! AND i sometimes add something like paprika, pepper, some mixed herbs... I am trying to make sure Hamish has foods that are a bit varied taste wise with the herbs and spices...

Hope all the sick little babies are feeling better!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2012, 22:34:31 pm »
Those meatballs sound tasty, Katy.  I've never baked them in the oven before but I'm excited to try.  It's such a labor of love to make up 20 little meatballs standing over the stove, turning them here and there and burning my fingertips in the process. 

I made up some zuchinni/carrot fritters this afternoon.  I think they taste great - we'll see what the kids think tonight for dinner!

Thanks for the salt info.  I'm cautious about low sodium broths that we use, but even canned tomatoes/paste/etc. have some added sodium. 

Just being in this thread has helped me remember how diligent I was for my daughter with her food.  It has inspired me to get cooking for sweet Connor!  I pulled some of the zuchinni and carrot to add to his spaghetti sauce tonight and then mini-meatballs are next on the agenda.  It's just so nice to have some freetime to do the cooking.  (And I LOVE the kitchen smell).

Oh, and I gave him fingers of toast at lunch and he tried to shove the whole bit in his mouth.  He did better when I pulled them into smaller pieces.  Any thoughts?  Should I keep trying the fingers? He liked them smeared with a broccoli/potato puree he can't stand on it's own.  Silly boy!
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2012, 23:08:22 pm »
It's such a labor of love to make up 20 little meatballs standing over the stove, turning them here and there and burning my fingertips in the process.

Yeah- that too!! AND i can never be sure they're cooked all the way through!! Buy some sillicon mini muffin tins (we get them in sets of 12 muffins each) and put them in that. I make heaps of muffins from the same website too. I found the sillicon best for non-stickness and clean up.

I haven't done fritters yet, but should.

I'd suggest erica to get the ingredients together and try to do a few recipes in a day, or try a different recipe each night/couple of days. Freeze them all (I usually keep a couple in the fridge for the next day fresh) and then for not much work- you end up with heaps to have in the freezer. THe recipes make heaps. I do a whole bunch of cooking then use the freezer stash... it's a pain when i run out!

I like the broccoli/potato puree idea!! I also add frozen spinach to as much as i can to push up the green factor!

On the gagging- is he bringing up food- as in vomiting? If not i'd keep offering the sticks of toast for a bit to see if he gets used to it- the gagging should teach him- hey man, too far!! How wide are the bits? I offer essentially half pieces of toast with the crusts off- so wide enough that he can't jab them right to the back of his mouth...

If he's distressed, or bringing up food then you could offer him smaller bits, perhapf squares? or whatever!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2012, 23:40:14 pm »
Oh- and a question ladies.. Hamish has a piece of fruit at each meal.. including lunch now... is this ok? So we have the following across the day- if you could have a look and see if you reckon it's ok?

Breakfast:
1 weetbix (bit of milk)
1 piece of fruit
3 tbs (roughly) natural yoghurt

Lunck: (only doing this for a week
A muffin, or potato pancake or something.... usually 3 mini muffins, and 2 pancakes.. or 2 pieces of toast and avocado... something like that
2 sticks of cheese
a piece of fruit

Dinner:
I try to have meat- so a few meatballs, some pasta bolognaise, something like that...
some vegetables
possibly a stick of cheese f he hasn't had it eslewhere
a piece of fruit.

Is that an ok sort of day? It was simpler when i just wanted him to eat ANYTHING... now i'm having to sort of menu plan! And some days the kid just keeps eating!!

Advice appreciated!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2012, 00:06:00 am »
Looks good to me. He really does eat a lot doesn't he? Some of those are adult size portions.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2012, 01:09:27 am »
I know... and the days he doesn't eat as much are getting fewer... i'm just going with 'keep offerring till he refuses'.. almost.. some of that hits the floor... so i guess 1/4 drops? you know how it is... He still eats 3feeds of milk reliably...

I often say to myself that i won't be offerring him more than that till he's like 5!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2012, 03:24:00 am »
Looks good to me too. I found F was eating HEAPS around 8 - 10 months. She was getting mobile then too, so perhaps that's why. Then she didn't eat much for what seemed like ages - almost a month I think (lots of teething possibly contributed?) and now she's back to it again :)
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2012, 06:11:39 am »
YEah- i've heard of a few babies being like that- i figure that if he eats more now then stops it's ok...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!