Author Topic: 6 weeks old and still won't latch  (Read 19035 times)

Offline Nicole3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 weeks old and still won't latch
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:42:45 am »
Hello! My name is Nicole and I'm new here. I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy 6 weeks ago today. I have tried from the beginning to get him to latch and he won't. I saw a lactation consultant in the hospital and still no luck with him latching. He would occassionally latch with the shield, but refuses that now. I hired a lactation consultant to come to my home and she was wonderful and he latched the entire time she was here with a shield (wouldn't take breast) and that night he wouldn't. I have read and read and read and tried so many things and nothing is working. I kangaroo him as much as I can (I have 6 yr old twins to tend to as well). One time 2 weeks ago he latched on the breast during kangarooing. Last night I tried the only thing I haven't, bathing with him. He latched and I was so happy. Then the next feeding he wouldn't. I tried bathing with him today and he wouldn't latch. I read that there is hope that he still will, but I'm losing hope. It's difficult to pump and take care of my family. I will do that if I have to, but really really want him to exclusively breastfeed. Any tips? Have any of you dealt with this?

Thank you much for reading this and your input. I truly appreciate it.  :)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: 6 weeks old and still won't latch
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:28 am »
Hi so sorry to hear you're having trouble, has he been checked for tongue tie?
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Nicole3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 17:46:22 pm »
Yes, he's not tongue tied.  Thanks for your response!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 19:15:42 pm »
Did your LC have any more tips? I'm so sorry I don't have any experience with this :-\ Did she check his latch when he was actually was latched on? Have you tried a different position such as under the arm "rugby" hold? And perhaps squeezing a bit when he's near latchinf so he knows milk is coming? And of course lots of skin to skin as you're doing.
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 19:51:40 pm »
What did the LC suggest you do or that it could be?  I'd be wondering about some sort of oral issue as well if he won't latch on at all (tongue tie being the most obvious).  Presumably the LC checked for TT?  If so, how did she do it?  Was it a quick glance or did she have a good feel?

Did he have any issues at birth that might be a factor?

Sorry for all the questions :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline kellyincali

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Proud Mommy to Johnny & Hank!
    • Baby Durso
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 22:32:53 pm »
I wanted to offer some hugs! That sounds so frustrating for you and DS. Does he seem like he wants to latch or is he completely uninterested?

If he's uninterested, have you thought about using some kind of wrap or sling and keeping him next to your bare breast for several hours at a time? I know you said you kangaroo as much as possible, but you can do it "on the go" with a sling. Here are some How-Tos on how to get him to stay there: http://magiccityslingers.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/hands-free-breastfeeding-in-a-wrap/ Or maybe he's not hungry when you're trying to feed him? Perhaps stretching his time between feeds will motivate him to eat?

If he's interested and just can't latch on, what about using a supplemental nursing system? Then at least he will always be eating at the breast and perhaps he'll catch on after awhile. http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns <--an example of an SNS. I've never used one, so I can't recommend a brand, but I have a friend who had to use one with her baby in the beginning (baby was premature) and found this one easy to use.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 22:35:54 pm »
Kelly, baby needs to be able to latch to effectively use an SNS as they attach to the breast and LO sucks on the tubing at the same time as suckling at the breast.

FWIW, the Medela one is quite good (I have one)
*** Amanda ***

Offline kellyincali

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Proud Mommy to Johnny & Hank!
    • Baby Durso
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 22:55:36 pm »
Fiver, good to know! Scratch the SNS, then.

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 13:31:04 pm »
I'm currently studying to become a lactation consultant here in Sweden and on my course we learnt about "laid-back breastfeeding/biological nurturing" and this was suggested for babies having these problems. Have a look at this website :)
http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Don't give up yet, there is still time to make this work if that is what you want. I've heard about a 4mo finally accepting the breast after similar circumstances.
How are you currently feeding him? Cup, bottle?
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 13:47:42 pm »
Great suggestion re BN (why didn't I think of that? ;) )
*** Amanda ***

Offline Nicole3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 15:20:27 pm »
Thank you so much for all your responses.  I truly appreciate it and can't wait to read the links. 

When the LC was here, he only latched with the shield.  She said he had a good latch with it.  She was wonderful and I'm contemplating having her come back, but not sure what else she can do.  She had a very laid back philosophy.  Let him wake when he wants, don't worry about waking him to eat at 3 hrs, listen to what he's telling you (reading his signs).  She was just calm and wonderful and really seemed to understand babies.  It all made sense to me, but then I had my pedi telling me to not let him go more than 3 hrs without eating at that age (under 2 weeks).  I also am going to look into going to a LL meeting.  I feel like I have read and done everything I can, but will keep at it! 

I don't know how to multi quote so I'll just answer the questions here.  :)  He isn't remotely interested in latching.  When I put my breast to his mouth (I was told to put it by his nose and bring down to his mouth), he does nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  It's like I'm putting any object there to him.  :(  I've tried nursing at all different times...when he's hungry, when he's not, when he could be starting to get hungry.  Nothing. 

He's definitely not tongue tied.  I double checked with his pediatrician.  The nurses and LC in the hospital and the LC that came to my house said that I have "perfect" nipples for breastfeeding.  So there aren't any physical issues.  Also, no issues at birth.  I had a c-section and I heard that the drugs used can affect initial breast feeding. 

I tried the SNS at a class I went to at the hospital where I had him.  He wouldn't latch on so it couldn't be used. :(  It was the Medela one.

I've tried different positions and when I was using the shield (the few times he did latch on with it) he preferred the football hold.

I'm currently feeding him with Medela bottles with a slow flow nipple.  I just started the slow flow nipples and not the ones that came with the bottles a couple days ago after reading that they're better (since it's harder to get milk out like a breast) if you want to transition to the breast.

Again, thank you so much.  I had premature b/g twins who I pumped for 13 months.  I never in a million years knew that bf could be so hard.  I just assumed that my son would bf straight from birth.  I am determined to keep trying!  I really really want this to work.  People tell me that he's still getting the breastmilk and that's most important and I do agree, however I want that bonding experience with him.  My other son (one of the twins) would bf sometimes and it was one of the best experiences of my life. 

Offline Nicole3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 15:23:27 pm »
One more question.  I was trying with the shield bc that's how he would occassionally latch.   A couple weeks ago, he started fighting the shield so badly (furiously shaking his head side to side causing shield to fall off although there was milk in shield so I knew he was getting it) that I stopped offering the breast with a shield and started just offering the breast.  He wasn't interested except that one time kangarooing and then a few days ago in the bath.  Should I continue to not offer shield?  To just offer breast?  I read stuff supporting both so am unsure.  I know personally I hate the shield, but if it gets him to the breast I'll do it.  I just thought that we had a breakthrough that first time kangarooing (I believe it was 2 weeks ago today so he was 4 weeks 2 days old).  We didn't though as he only latched on once in the bath after that. 

Thank you for your time.  It's greatly appreciated!

Offline Nicole3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 15:33:14 pm »
I'm currently studying to become a lactation consultant here in Sweden and on my course we learnt about "laid-back breastfeeding/biological nurturing" and this was suggested for babies having these problems. Have a look at this website :)
http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Don't give up yet, there is still time to make this work if that is what you want. I've heard about a 4mo finally accepting the breast after similar circumstances.
How are you currently feeding him? Cup, bottle?

I just watched the video, that's exactly how he first latched when he did kangarooing.  He hasn't since tho.  Do you have any ideas why he won't latch?  Why he seems to have no clue 99% of the time what to do with my breast?  I offer him the breast about 8x a day.  I've done fewer b/c I don't want to overwhelm him, but lately do about 8x a day.  Thank you. :)

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 16:15:41 pm »
How did the paed/LC check for the tongue tie?  Sorry to keep going on about it, but if they just looked it is possible that there is a tie there that hasn't been noticed (not always possible to see a posterior tongue tie).

When you offer the breast, does he open his mouth to try to latch even?  Did he latch on immediately after delivery?

IIWY, I'd have the LC come back and get along to the LLL meeting too.  At least one of them ought to have some sort of idea on seeing you in person on a way forward for you.

For now, if he will latch with the nipple shield, I'd go with that (annoying as they are).  Just make sure you're getting plenty of skin to skin when using the shield (you may have to turn the shields round by 90 degrees to get as much of LO's face touching the breast).  If he can get the hang of latching on with the shield you can always wean that later on.

Also here's some more info about using nipple shields - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/wean-shield.html
And reasons why LOs sometimes won't latch and some help to overcome that - http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:when-baby-does-not-yet-latch&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
*** Amanda ***

Offline Nicole3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 16:34:56 pm »
How did the paed/LC check for the tongue tie?  Sorry to keep going on about it, but if they just looked it is possible that there is a tie there that hasn't been noticed (not always possible to see a posterior tongue tie).

When you offer the breast, does he open his mouth to try to latch even?  Did he latch on immediately after delivery?

IIWY, I'd have the LC come back and get along to the LLL meeting too.  At least one of them ought to have some sort of idea on seeing you in person on a way forward for you.

For now, if he will latch with the nipple shield, I'd go with that (annoying as they are).  Just make sure you're getting plenty of skin to skin when using the shield (you may have to turn the shields round by 90 degrees to get as much of LO's face touching the breast).  If he can get the hang of latching on with the shield you can always wean that later on.

Also here's some more info about using nipple shields - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/wean-shield.html
And reasons why LOs sometimes won't latch and some help to overcome that - http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:when-baby-does-not-yet-latch&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
They looked in his mouth.  I don't think they did anything else.  They also said his tongue was moving fine.  I also had my stepmom who is a NICU nurse look.  I was in tears over breastfeeding at his 1 week weight check, so I think the pedi looked pretty well. 

It's hit or miss when I offer the breast.  Most of the time he does nothing, won't even open his mouth a little.  Once in awhile he'll open his mouth but won't latched.  If it goes in, his mouth doesn't even close. 

I'll try next feeding with the shield.  He rarely latched with the shield, but definitely was more successful than the breast.  Thank you for the links. Going to check them out.  I can't say how very much I appreciate any help I get.  :)