Author Topic: HELP: Moving to bottle at 25 weeks not working  (Read 753 times)

Offline deepa.venkateswaran

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP: Moving to bottle at 25 weeks not working
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:07 am »
Hi

My DD has been EBF till recently when I have started introducing baby rice and some purees. When she was 6-8 weeks old she used to have a bottle of EBM but I stopped it as it was getting tiring and she used choke on it. In hindsight this was such a big mistake.

Now I have a baby who refuses bottles - occassionally she will have 2-3Oz of FF when we tried over the last 2 months, when she is really hungry. As I will be starting work in a couple of months time, quite keen for her to take the bottle now so that I can gradually transition her.

Yesterday we decided to give cold turkey weaning a go (I was expressing at every feed to maintain supply and prevent mastitis). She refused the morning feed at 7 from the bottle from DH (she is generally not very hungry first thing as she still has night feeds) - then after her nap she was very hungry and took around 100ml of FF milk. I felt really relieved but then the 2pm/ 3pm feed she had only 60ml after repeated tries - outdoors, indoors etc. Then she had baby rice at 5pm and for her bedtime feed absolutely refused a bottle of EBM and I nursed her as she started crying hysterically (through the day she dint cry for nursing - just refused the bottle). Then she kept waking through the night to make for the lost calories. I tried giving her the bottle at night and she refused and cried.

This morning we woke up late and she had 40ml from the bottle after lots of fight..... am confused what I should do?

She has taken formula and from the current teats (mam) and she did feed yesterday - so i doubt that changing the teat or formula will make a difference. Also she doesnt like EBM at all from a bottle - so again I doubt that she isnt feeding because of the taste of the FF. I have also experimented with temperatures - warm , room temperature, slightly cold - nothing makes a difference. I also tried a Doidy cup and Sippy cup and she refuses to have anything to do with them

I am feeling really depressed now and feel (a) super gulity for starving my baby (b) super anxious when I think of how I will manage going back to work

Any advice help really greatful - I have read the FAQs and Tracy's success story - unfortunaltely my LO seems too tenacious and I cant let her cry in the night....

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: HELP: Moving to bottle at 25 weeks not working
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 19:37:25 pm »
When we started mixed feeding my DS he refused to take anything from a bottle for probably around a week and then all of a sudden was happy with it.

Certainly for us we just needed to persist, but he was also having a BF as well
*** Amanda ***