Author Topic: Changing things at the ten month mark - would like to wean a bottle!  (Read 1372 times)

Offline vancouverbabies

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi there, just checking in if I'm on track here with my ten month old son, he is on the 95-100th percentile for height and weight so he's a hungry little guy. He does great on solids and gets three meals a day plus four bottles. I do:
730 Bottle
9:00 Breakfast
12:00 Bottle
1:00 Lunch
Midday Bottle between 3 or 4
Dinner around 5:30
Bedtime bottle
Bed between 7 and 730
I know that with my twin daughters I weaned them off their bottles at 11 months and just went to sippy cups and then switched to cows milk at one year.
But they drank a lot less and it was easier to wean them, so I'm not sure what to do with a big baby boy? He drinks around 24 oz of formula plus three good home prepared meals (he's around 27 pounds). He takes a sippy cup fine with water during meals I'm guessing I should just go for it and replace the lunch time bottle with a sippy cup? I've tried to drop the 12:00 bottle altogether but it seems that he really wants the same amount after his lunch anyway.He gets a variety of foods now so I think he's getting a good balance of nutrition. I would really like to wean at least one bottle so he doesn't get too dependent on it for too long. Thanks Moms. :)

Offline jesie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Changing things at the ten month mark - would like to wean a bottle!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 22:15:44 pm »
I gave DS a drink of milk with his breakfast, then a drink of milk with a little snack at 10am and 2.30pm then a drink of milk before bed.

I swapped to the cup one bottle at a time, it worked really well and even bed time bottle was gone at 11 months (which was a bit sad)

Now he has a drink with breakfast and before bed.

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 20:40:13 pm »
Hi, popping this over to bottle feeding for you x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 21:23:31 pm »
What mums often do is to combine bottles and shift things around a bit. We did a wake up and bedtime bottle and a bottle just before the afternoon nap (but not feeding to sleep). In your routine I would do lunch earlier at 12 instead of a bottle and then a bottle just before the pm nap. If he is hungry when he wakes you can do a snack and then tea solids and his usual bedtime bottle.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 21:42:33 pm »
We do exactly what Lolly said . . .

the bottle just before the nap is a great wind down  :)

Kath