Author Topic: 6 week old - keeps falling asleep  (Read 19709 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: 6 week old - keeps falling asleep
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:10 am »
Yeah, mnie is the same:(
The nursing strike post was very helpful though, I was trying to force her to eat so that's where I went wrong.
She has started nursing again using nipple shields and we only use the medela calma bottle for DF, instead of normal ones.
We are however back to square one: feeds last over an hour with her falling asleep all the time grrrrr.
Everyone said she would grow out of it and be eating properly by the end of the first month, well she is 8 weeks old today and no change!
I felt awful and depressed when she refused to nurse and now that she is nursing again I feel frustrated....
Counting down the days till we get to 6 months!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 01:09:28 am »
feeds last over an hour with her falling asleep all the time
I'd just stop feeding after a set amount of time (like 15-20 minutes) and then try not to feed her for another 2.5 hours or so and see where that gets you.  It's possible that she may take more that way.

Offline eva026

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
Ok, will give it a try.
I was wondering if a hungry baby is able to go 2-3h between feeds or would she keep waking up? It's a discussion I had with my DH, he said that he thinks even if a baby is hungry it would be able to sleep that long if tired enough and in my opinion not.
Who is right?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 00:10:58 am »
I think it delends on your baby!  My ds would never settle when hungry, dd1 was a bit easier in that regard.  But I found with all of mine it would have been pretty difficult fr them to sleep well when hungry (unless they've cried for so long from hunger that they pass out from exhaustion -- something I definitely wouldn't recommend trying!)

Offline eva026

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 20:06:10 pm »
Ok, so she has become a much faster eater 10-20min but everything else has gone all wonky. 
 The last 2 days she has started screaming after her 1pm feed and all the rest of the feeds till 8pm but refuses to nurse more, so it's not hunger. Nothing can calm her down when this happens and it's not a cry but literately a scream.
 She has also started having napping difficulties and spits up a ton more than she used to after feeds. 
What on earth is going on??
Could it be a GS (she will be 9weeks in 3 days) or reflux (if that can come on so late) because it looks like the spitting up hurts her?

Sorry I come "running" here with so many questions all the time, but there is no one else I can ask:(

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 20:17:50 pm »
*** Amanda ***

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:10 am »
The preference for the nipple shield might be nipple confusion -- she prefers something firmer than the soft breast. I posted my nipple shield experience in the other nipple shield thread (http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=229696.0) but basically my LC said it was fine to use it long term as long as she's latching well and stimulating the breast, not just sucking on the shaft of the shield.

I highly recommend the First Years Breastflow bottle:
http://www.diapers.com/p/the-first-years-breastflow-bpa-free-bottle-5-oz-3-pk-30083

The 5oz bottle comes with a slow flow nipple, and the design is meant to mimic the sort of motion she would have to use on the breast. I was struggling to wean my LO off supplements because he was "spoiled" by how quickly he could get food from a bottle, and got impatient with breastfeeding. Switching to those bottles really helped.

*HUGS* Breastfeeding is hard, I've posted my tearful frustration here before. You are not a failure!

(Edited to include link to other nipple shield thread)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 19:11:29 pm by Fiver »

Offline eva026

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 03:06:48 am »
Nursing is so much better, thank you all!!!

Great article on nipple shields, it really puts my mind at ease because I can't see them going anywhere any time soon.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »
:)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 23:01:27 pm »
Eva, I've more or less weaned, but I still use the shield occasionally when I'm sore or when he's in a mood and I want to make it easier.

Offline Rubyroo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 20:30:56 pm »
Hi I am facing the exact same thing with my 6 week old son now and I am very depressed about it. I am pumping and giving in a bottle to make sure he is getting enough but that takes so much time and effort and I have 2 other kids one of them is special needs. I need my son to start nursing properly and finishing off the breast without needing to pump.  Can you please tell me how things worked out for you after that and if your daughter eventually started nursing properly?

Offline eva026

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 18:34:17 pm »
We nursed till almost a year with nipple shields. It was hard work and took a lot of patience but we survived.
Around the 3 month mark she sarted to be more awake and nurse faster.