Author Topic: Nipple shields-what are your thoughts? Long term use?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Smurfette

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Nipple shields-what are your thoughts? Long term use?
« on: April 26, 2012, 13:22:53 pm »
Hi there

I have a friend who's DD is 3 months old and she is still using NS at every feed. (Baby also takes a bottle of EBM.) She says that baby won't nurse without them. Does anyone have experience using them long term? I only used them for about a month off and on at the most so I can't offer any advice/suggestions, but it seems the general consensus on other websites is to not use them long term-but BFing is better than no BFing, right?

Thanks!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Nipple shields-what are your thoughts? Long term use?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 13:46:15 pm »
With DD1 i was told no nipple shields but with DD2 my fab MW told me current research would indicate there isn't as big an issue with them as first thought. 

Can she try nursing at the end of a nap or very drowsy and see does that help?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 15:23:46 pm »
If she's going to use them it's suggested that on should try to get as much face to breast contact as possible which could well mean turning them round 90 degrees from what the instructions say.

Would she be up for stopping midfeed to take them off and try without?

Also have you/she seen this article about them? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/
*** Amanda ***

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 17:40:10 pm »
I had gently suggested trying to stop them midfeed and my friend said DD won't nurse, just keeps pulling off. I think that it's just something that she's not ready to tackle yet and won't reach out for support, so I don't want to push, you know? But I think she's struggling but doesn't want to say anything.
She recently said that LO is only napping for 15 mins at a time and has lots of gas.
I also suggested expressing a bit too.

And yes, I saw that article and was debating about sending it to her cuase I didn't want to seem overbearing. But it has such good information. :-\

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 18:05:51 pm »
:-\
Definitely suggest turning them as that will help supply also.
It's hard if someone's not ready.  Really up to her to make that first step.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 18:46:46 pm »
Ok,  thanks.  Yes, it is hard. I will continue to offer support when she mentions something. :)

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 21:21:45 pm »
Do you know why she started using them, Smurfette?  Might be something else going on behind the scenes that would do well to be checked out by someone IRL (like a LC)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 21:28:15 pm »
She just said that DD wouldn't nurse without them. I think she has already been to one LC, but I know they are hit and miss here. I had to see 5 before I found a really great one that totally knew her stuff. It was night and day difference between her and the others. I have told this to my friend, so there isn't much else I can do.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 21:31:57 pm »
Hmmm...it really could be any number of things.  If she's happy using them, then, like you said, BF with is better than not BF at all. :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 00:54:14 am »
My friend had to use them with her ds until he was past 3 months and then she was able to wean him off of them -- they went on to nurse for 2+ years so it had no effect long term.  Can't remember why though, I think he had an extremely strong latch.

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 13:22:02 pm »
I used BS for about 6 months with DS and 4 mo with DD. I have rather large BBs and a smaller nipple on one side so neither one was able to latch properly on that side in the beginning. It seemed that when they got a little bigger it was easier to latch on and I was able to wean the shields successfully. I was also really worried bc if you read online about it, most seem to discourage use after 1-2 weeks. However, my doctor was really supportive and as you say any type of BF is better than none. I was able to EBF using the BS and didn't notice a lack in supply as both kids stayed happy and healthy.  As far as weaning, I would consistently try to encourage bf w/o the shield,  I found the most success when the babe was really hungry. They both were able to eventually wean rather painlessly and I went on to feed DS for 16 month and am still feeding DD. So it is possible! I really think that the BS made it possible for me to continue on as long as I did.   

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 18:44:39 pm »
Yay, an opportunity for me to give back some advice :D

I used a NS for the first couple months with Colin after my nipples became very bruised and sore in the hospital. I kept using them after I had healed partly because I was afraid I would end up getting hurt again.

I have finally weaned (day 2 of no shield use at all!) but my LC wasn't concerned about long-term use, as long as they're used properly.

The key is to make sure that the baby is latched properly, even with the shield. Unfortunately, this was my undoing in the early weeks -- the shields I had were too big for my LO, and he was sucking on the shaft of the shield, and thus not stimulating my breast and not getting enough milk. Once I traded the ones I had (the standard sizes) to an XS size (he was less than 6 weeks at this time), and started latching him the same way I would with my bare nipple, compressing my breast down to a "nipple sandwich" and making sure he got my breast, not just my nipple, in his mouth, my supply came back and he started getting more milk.

As long as it's being used properly, my LC said there was no harm to long-term use because the silicone ones are so thin, they don't interfere with breast stimulation or milk flow. IMO, however, it is easy to use them incorrectly.

I personally weaned more out of convenience, but I'm keeping them around in case I get sore nipples or if he's just having a bad day and I want to make it easier for him. But TBH, I started feeling like the shields were more uncomfortable than having him just latch bare.

At first, he wouldn't take my bare nipple either, but again, I wasn't using them correctly for a long time and he didn't really know how to breastfeed properly. First I started making sure he latched properly with the shield, then I started offering my nipple the same way (sandwich!)

In the beginning I would start with the shield and then remove it after my milk got flowing, but honestly, I found I had better luck starting without the shield. I'd hand express to get some milk going, so he had an instant reward -- although at first he would just lick the expressed milk off my nipple. "This is a good deal -- Mom does all the work, I just drink it up!"

We went from him taking the bare nipple for a couple minutes each feed, to him eventually staying on longer and longer by himself, until now he isn't using it at all. In the beginning he'd bob on and off when he just had my bare nipple, but I started holding his head (gently!) against my breast so he couldn't pull off.

One tip: I put the shield back on the moment he got frustrated, if he looked like he was going to start crying, because I didn't want him to associate nursing with stress and have him go on a "nursing strike." But eventually he started using the shield less and less.

The tough part was getting him to open his mouth enough for a good latch because with the shield it was easy to just poke it in his mouth. But I just kept teasing his lip the way my LC and videos showed, and eventually he would open up and I'd stuff the nipple in.

I did a lot of googling when I was figuring out how to wean, and read a lot of personal accounts from women who used the shield for several months until one day their baby just "got it" and started nursing without it. My LC pointed out that once babies get older, their mouths get bigger and it becomes easier for them to BF, so in many cases it's a self-correcting issue.

But again, articles I'd read and my LC both said that as long as they're used properly there's nothing wrong with using them long-term. And of course, if using the shield keeps her BFing (like it did for me) when she may otherwise have weaned, then it's definitely a plus!

Personally if she has concerns about whether the baby's getting enough milk or if she's just sick of using the shield (the way I was), I'd suggest she see a LC to make sure she's using it correctly and the baby's still latching onto the breast and not just sucking on the shaft.

Here's an article that might put your (and her) mind at ease:
http://thetruthaboutbreastfeeding.com/category/research/nipple-shields/

Offline Smurfette

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 00:31:20 am »
Thanks everyone!

And thanks Mom2theChief for posting that article...interesting read!