Author Topic: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #3  (Read 17741 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #3
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 21:01:35 pm »
Well done for keeping it going :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 13:17:37 pm »
I made it to 6 months with only giving my DD my milk!  :)

The hardest was when my pump needed replacement parts, but it took a few days to get them (no time to shop and shipping takes time), so it was real slow pumping for a few days. But I'm still at it and so happy! With DS I was only able to pump 1 bottle for him instead of two starting at 6 months, I thought it was b/c I was pregnant, but in retrospect, I think if I had changed some parts out in my pump it still could have worked. I'm so much more in-tuned with bf-ing this time around.

We'll start solids on the weekend, and I hope to keep pumping for a few more months (maybe till 1 year... and totally skip formula this time around).

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 19:53:16 pm »
Yay!  Well done both of you! :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Joy-filled

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
I just thought I'd post to offer some encouragement to mom's returning to work - you never know just how supportive your work will be!  I'm going back in October when my DS is 13 months.  I've been putting off the call to my supervisor to ask where/when/how I can pump as I want to keep nursing for awhile yet and don't want my supply to decrease (I struggled with low supply for months).  I thought the conversation would be awkward, particularly as there isn't a space conducive to pumping, I'd have to explain myself and state what my rights are to pump at work.  But I didn't at all and the conversation went soooo great!  My supervisor (a man) offered that as long as I do it at the same time every day, he'll step out of his office and do other work so I can use his office to pump as it will guarantee that no one will accidentally walk in on me,  He also has a small fridge in his office where I can store the milk until the end of the day!  I couldn't believe his response.  I feel so blessed!  So, for any of you who are dreading the conversation with your employer about pumping, it may just end up going better than you expect - I hope it does!
**Char**

<a href="http://lilypie.com/">

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 13:56:27 pm »
What a great story Char ;D thanks for sharing.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 20:23:44 pm »
That's fab!  Glad he was so understanding.  I had a similar experience (again with a male manager) when I had to go back to work for a couple of weeks after DD.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Natbug22

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 00:48:31 am »
Jumping on the thread!  Curious to know if anyone has had issues pumping when lo is 12ish months? I plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible and I only work a few days a week so it's promising.  I'm not pumping as much at work anymore and I wonder if it's normal at this age (dropping/space between feeds). Can anyone else relate? When dh says she has 17-20oz while I'm at work and I only pump 3!!!...I'm a bit concerned. Should he not be giving her that much and more food? Is it my pump? Just hoping to get some reassurance. On the positive side, I've been breastfeeding for almost 12 months and no supplementing needed. Ya! 

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
It is quite normal for pumping output to decrease as LO gets older.
How many bottles is your DH giving and how big are they?
*** Amanda ***

Offline goldmom

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 14:09:57 pm »
DD is 7 months, and I already feel like I have pumping/supply issues  :(. If you made it to a year that's amazing.

Low output can be a pump issue, some pumps need to have parts replaced for maximum output, so you could check into that to see if it'll help.

At 12 months you could start giving milk if you don't have enough EBM, we warmed ours up to make it more familiar to DS. Then you could just nurse when you are home and also give whatever you are able to pump (this is less stressful since there's an easy substitute if you don't pump enough).

Offline Natbug22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 15:50:25 pm »
He just middles through..there's not always a set time/amount he gives.  I would say between 20-25oz while I'm at work.  I have some stored in the freezer but that's dwindling rapidly. Do we just need to wean her feeds during the day while I'm at work or would that be too confusing? Or just have one feed during the day?...I don't think I'm ready to drop feeds but she is getting bigger so it would be the time   :-( 

Offline goldmom

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 16:06:18 pm »
What time do you work/ out of the house?

Offline Natbug22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 16:18:14 pm »
That's a good point about the pump parts. It's actually borrowed from my sil and she needs it back in 2-3 months for her new lo. So again, I guess it's that time to decrease feeds on work days so it's not such a shock when we have no extra milk.  :-( I still feel great making it this far and will continue as long as possible (morning and night time at least). Apparently my time on this thread will be short lived....

Offline goldmom

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 16:50:10 pm »
Pumps are now covered under health insurance here in the USA when you have a baby, tell your sil that she should try to get a new one and let you keep this one ;D

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 21:06:58 pm »
I would say between 20-25oz while I'm at work.

So 4 or 5 bottles of 4-5oz each, do you think?  Or more like 3x 8oz bottles?  How many feeds are you giving at home before/after work and on days when you're not working?

Sorry for all the questions :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Natbug22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 02:31:56 am »
Goldmom - I'll have to talk to get about that. Thanks for that

Fiver - I would say 3x8oz bottles. I feed her at wake up, shortly before 1st nap, 3/4ish, and shortly before bed. She wakes once at night unless teething/discomfort. I'm pretty available to her when I'm home so there could be an extra feed or two on those days. I only work 2 days right now and my pumping issue just started a few weeks ago (not pumping as much). Which could very well be a natural thing I'm hearing.