Author Topic: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #3  (Read 17744 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #3
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 19:10:14 pm »
Katy, it's a support thread for those working and breastfeeding really, but as you're doing both, chat away :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 00:23:01 am »
Welcome Katy!
I'll be back soon to post properly.
I have to eat something before "dream pumping".  :P

Offline MummaB

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:21 am »
argh.  daycare makes me want to cry.  It seemed he was doing well at the end of the week, but today was rough after a long holiday weekend.  I came home to a zombie-like baby with salt crusted to the sides of his face and in hair.  They promised they don't do CIO.  They said he got a 45min, 1hr, and 2hr nap in today...which isn't horrible...but he was falling asleep on the boob for his BT feed.  He hasn't done that since he was quite little.  I was so worried I wouldn't be able to get enough in him to help him STTN.  We're trying to push a little extra into his dreamfeed to get him through the night.  He so badly needs that sleep after a day like today.  Days like today make it hard to go back to work  :(

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:25 am »
Well today was my first day back at work. It wasn't too bad, but DD did not nap at all at the babysitters, of course. She is a notorious non-napper, so I'm not totally surprised, but it still sucks. I went over there at lunch to nurse her, and she had just fallen asleep. Dummy me thought, "oh, I'll just barely wake her up and nurse her right back to sleep". Nope, my DD thought she'd fall asleep nursing, but be wide-eyed as soon as I put her down. Obviously a mistake on my part.
Work itself was fine. My boss is out of town, so that helps, but finding time to pump was tough. Between meetings, sorting through 800+ emails and just catching up with people took a lot of time. I also realized that I simply need to leave early. Getting home at 6 just isn't going to work.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better for my LO!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 19:42:08 pm »
MummaB - oh no, that's horrible for you and him :(
klinthwaite - glad you had a reasonable day. I guess it's finding the balance now.
*** Amanda ***

Offline MummaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:06:38 am »
klinthwaite - good luck with the rest of the week.  Hopefully you both fall into a good routine!

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:14:44 am »
Thanks ladies! The good thing was DD took a nice long 3 hour nap today at the babysitter's...yeah! I, however, have managed to get BM all over me every time I pump. I can't seem to master pumping yet in a small space. I'm used to spreading everything out all over my dining room table.

MummaB - I hope the daycare situation gets better for you! That sounds rough.

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:10:37 am »
Ok, ladies, how often are you all pumping? This whole pumping at work thing is a pain in the arse! It's making me think about supplementing with formula. I feel like even with the 3 pumps a day at work, plus the 4th pump at home for the DF bottle, I'm barely keeping up with her. Sigh.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:07:04 am »
Kirsten - I pump at lunch time when at work and once at night (around 11 pm) - that I call "dream pump". DD2 is on 3-4 milk feeds/day and I have/had a lot of frozen BM stored for her daytime bottles at daycare.
I agree that pumping can be PITA. I was thinking of quiting now that DD2's older but I keep myself thinking that I could go a little longer.
I know that's hard, so do what is best for you. IMHO, there's no point on being so tired to pump and don't keep up, maybe you could do a combination of BM and formula? Big hugs!!

:-*

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 14:40:58 pm »
Hey girls,

how have you been?
DD2 has this never ending cold, with runny nose and some episodes of bad coughing. I am patiently waiting for the summer. I think when they are this little, we just have to accept they WILL get sick.  >:(
I am definitely thinking about stopping pumping at work. I tried not to pump last thursday and oh my! My boobs hurt. I drove to the daycare to pick the girls up and decided to pump there so that I could relieve the pain and also to have time to produce more milk before her BT feed. I wanted to go on for a little while but it just annoys me having to carry my computer backpack, my pump, an umbrella (it's been rainy lately here).  :(
I feel like I have to use the mantra "it's for her best, keep going"....

Offline MummaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 17:11:15 pm »
Sorry I've been out of the loop!  Lately i feel like i can't keep up with life! 

Lidiayy-  I feel for you on the pumping!   I know some people can get away without pumping or just doing it once and exclusively BF on weekends to keep supply up. Maybe you can try dropping a pump session at work or gradually reduce how long you pump for at each session to make the transition more comfortable.

I'm still pumping 3x at work even though I'm only missing 2 feeds because I'm not pumping as much as he eats.  Definitely gets old!

Offline Pualani8

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:43 am »
Any of you experience breast refusal after bottle?  I started back to work 2 weeks ago part time and DS gets more bottles...as of this past week he's slowly refusing to nurse.  I'm bummed.  Was hoping to do both bottle and nurse for a while.  I'm just pumping right now and hoping he'll turn around.

I think he's also possibly going thru a growth spurt - maybe that's part of the issue too??  Sad mommy.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 18:50:37 pm »
Pualani8 I see your LO is 10wo and you have started your own thread so perhaps anyone with advice could pop over there. Prefers bottle over breast now! 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 19:43:10 pm »
Pumping definitely gets old, especially when its hard to keep up. I can usually get enough when pumping twice during the day, but occassionally I don't; then I have to manually pump after I nurse at home (evening and morning feed, plus DF if I really need more - manually since it's quicker and I just want to get an extra oz or 2). I don't have a freezer supply since it's too hard to pump so much extra. When I do have extra I just keep it in the fridge to use first, typically by the end of the week I'm running low so my supply is never too large.

At the beginning I found that I could pump twice for her 3 bottles since I could pump enough in those 2 sessions, I put myself onto the 4 hour EASY before she was on it.

I really hope to keep it up to 6 months and then some. Pumping for my DD helps me feel connected to her even though we spend so much of the day apart from each other. I feel fortunate that I can do this for her.