Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 5  (Read 41571 times)

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 5
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2013, 05:38:38 am »
Can I please join this thread for some help! Lo is now 56wks. He's always had short A times, just couldn't cope get OT etc. he used to do 11-12 hrs a night and 1 hr nap at 10 2 hrs at 2, last week started waking between 4:30-5 and naps down to 45min :(
Yest I did 30 min nap at 10 and I put him down at 1:30 and he had 2 hrs :) I was made up and sure our night would improve-he woke at 3! Was awake on and off, shouting crying moaning till 5 when I gave him a dummy as I was so knackered. Is he still OT from bad wk? Do I just keep going with day like yest and hope and pray night improves??? I'm exhausted and my hubby is away ATM :(

Offline Jessleigh

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • www.burningonebooks.com
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2013, 01:29:00 am »
Well DD is now 16mo and I'm going for one nap cold turkey. 2 months of APing a CN has to end. And i had finally got her back to sleeping 11hrs+ at night (7/7:30-6:30). but now her 10am nap is getting shorter and settling for the CN is getting harder even with APing.

Going for set nap at 11 and BT 5 hrs from that or earliest 6pm.

Today she did a 1hr15min nap (11-12:15) which was definitely OT. BT at 6. FXed for a 12+hr night!
Getting ready for a wild ride! :)

Loving every day doing the most important job in the world!

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:44 am »

Good luck Jessleigh!  We basically have done the same - gone cold turkey - PM CN was getting harder and harder to get.  Have been doing it for almost a month now and nap has lengthened (btwn 1hr 20 and sometimes up to 3hrs!) and EWs have disappeared and we are getting 12-12 hour nights now. 
Its hard to believe the mess we were in a month ago!
DS will be 15 months on 30/4.

Offline Charjanemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:36 pm »
Tracy. Just wondering how long it took for ew to disappear or have longer nights on 1 nap? We are almost 2 weeks on 1 nap. The first we had no ew and 11-12 hr nights now we are getting 10.5 hr nights! Did you set your nap time and bedtime?

My dd is 13 months.

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #394 on: April 27, 2013, 00:23:18 am »

Charjanemom, it took about two weeks for them to go completely, one would happen every three or four days for the first couple of weeks.  We are now at 6:30/7am where before it was 5:00/5:30. 
Yep set nap and bedtime - nap time was 11:30 and then depending on nap time would set bedtime from that - if nap finished before 1pm it would be 6pm bedtime and if nearly 1:30/2 would be 6:30 or closer to 7:00.  I have just pushed nap time to 11:45 (day 3 now) - so far so good.
Interestingly, we were getting a wake up during the nap which I thought was OT and I have put him into his winter sleeping bag during the day and no wake ups. 
He is definitely still adjusting to one nap though - the other day he fell asleep on me at 10am after a 7am wake up.  Of course it was a nightmare trying to get a PM nap even though I capped the AM nap.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #395 on: April 28, 2013, 05:12:26 am »
Hi Tracy, I have also decided to move nap time a bit earlier to 1130 instead of 12 since most days he is falling asleep around 1140 (he just can't make it). Last night I put him to bed at 6 but he only fell asleep at 620 and he woke today at 0550! With a few NW it ended up being 11hr15 night. That's not bad but it's not enough considering before he would wake at 0630. How will he make it to 1130? When your LO was waking at 0500/0530 when was he going to sleep for the night? In the last 10 days it doesn't matter when I put him to sleep I end up getting the same length of night so I have been putting him down closer to 7 to get a normal WU. I hoped if I put him down earlier he would tack on but it just isn't happening. How long did it take for your LO to start tacking on???

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #396 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21:51 am »

Hi My Little Liam, we were still on two naps then (two bad ones) - so he would go down around 10/10:30am for 1hr 20 ish and then it would be a CN in the car around 4/4:30 till 5:00 so our bedtime was around 7/7:30. But he was very grumpy with this CN happening. 

Ever though he was waking at 5/5:30 I never got him up till 6:30 as he would just lie there and chat and sometimes go quiet so may have dozed on/off. 

Basically I waited till he was 14 months and then went kind of cold turkey onto the one nap as it was getting ridiculous with what was happening.  So even though he was EW I just didn't count cot time and worked from 6:30.  I also went to a set nap time of 11am as WU times were all over the place that it was too hard to calculate AT. 

Within 3-4 days WU had shifted from 5:30 to 6:00 and then 6:30 (though sometimes we still get a 6:00).  Tacking on happened at the same time as well - went from 10.5hrs to now generally 12hrs.  My DS has always slept well at night, naps have always been our issue.

I have been following the 2-1 thread and feel for you guys at the moment - its a tough time and I am glad we are predominantly through it.  Just know that you will get through it, though I know at the time its pretty despairing.  Its hard to know what to do - hold on to 2 naps as long as you can or push through for the one nap. 

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #397 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37:36 am »
When your set nap was at 11 what length were your naps and when did you BT? Was this already on one nap?

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2013, 06:53:29 am »

Set nap at 11am - we were still on two naps and 11am nap length ranged from 1hr 5 to 2hr (if it got up around 1pm we would do one nap day and EBT of 6:00.
Then we tried a couple of weeks of short AM nap and long PM nap with mixed results - I would put him down at 10 for 30 mins and then 1:30 but the PM nap was never long enough (only 1hr though a lot of the time I would APOP him but then it would have to be in my arms and not in cot).
Then moved nap to 11:15am (nap would be 1hr 30 +) and PM CN would be refused even in car - BT 6:00/6:30.
So we then moved to 11:30am - made decision to have one nap days and BT is 6 if naps less than 1.5hr and 6:30/6:45 if over.
We are currently up to 11:45am for nap (and averaging 1hr 30 for this nap, sometimes longer).  BT is between 6/7.  We have molars very close to surface/cutting so he's keen on his night sleep at the moment.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2013, 06:57:37 am »
I wish I could do the 1130 nap knowing that he would tack on if going to bed at 6...

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #400 on: April 29, 2013, 07:43:32 am »

I know its a tricky one, I was really scared that he would wake ridiculously early.  Every night when he goes down at 6pm/6:30pm I think, oh no early wake up! He's just about walking so is very busy and tiring himself out during the day, which helps.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #401 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:09 am »
Well my LO is walking all ready and is non stop all day but it doesn't seem to make a difference... He still doesn't tack on unless we get a nap under an hour.  :'(

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #402 on: April 29, 2013, 20:05:40 pm »

That is a bummer - maybe he is just low sleep needs (or thinks he is lol).

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2013, 19:11:52 pm »
I am new to the Sleeping For Toddlers board and hope I can get some advices for my DD's 2-1 transition.  I have posted an individual topic, but haven't got any replies yet.  I hope I can get some support from here.  :(

DD has had lots of EW recently, no matter it's a one nap day or two naps day.  I tried to do one nap day if she woke up after 6am.  However, most of the time she wakes up between 4:45am - 5:15am and didn't go back to sleep.  When she fought for her pm nap, she would only had a one nap day even if she woke up before 6am.  For one or two occasions, she would go back to sleep after a feed and woke up around 7 - 7:30am.  This morning, she even woke up at 4:30 and didn't get back to sleep until 6. Then she woke up at 7:30am.

I still BF her at 5am when she woke up.  And because there's no guarantee for getting her back to sleep, I wonder whether I should just cut off that feed.   Our days vary from day to day due to her inconsistency in WU time.  I would really appreciate some help to get her routine sorted out so that we both can have some decent sleep. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:19:09 am by rachelgz »

Offline Jessleigh

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • www.burningonebooks.com
« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2013, 20:18:56 pm »
Tracy - very helpful info. thanks. We went back to 2 naps for a few days which proved a disaster.
she's getting so OT. one night i put her to bed a 5 and she slept til 6 which was a miracle but the 2nd night i put her down at 5 it was a 4:30 start.

i had no choice but to keep her up til 11. but she only sleeps 1hr. i don't want to AP cn's anymore as that's a habit i was trying to break but maybe i should go back to it just to get her to a decent bedtime. she's so miserable. and so are we. :( asking her to be up for 6hrs in the morning and 6 hrs in the evening is just too much.

i appreciate hearing how you did it tho! helpful!

Loving every day doing the most important job in the world!