Author Topic: 13 month old - night screaming and teeth  (Read 1050 times)

Offline magicmoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:28:17 am »
hello

Please help, I am exhausted!

My boy is 13 months and has been on a routine from the early days.  he does 7 til 7 with a 2 hour nap at 1230 from which I almost always have to wake him.   for the last 2 weeks, though, he has been waking screaming at around 11pm or midnight and it can take him 2 hours or more to get back to sleep.

This is so unlike him.  He normally nods off on his own and, if he wakes, he puts himself back to sleep without any difficulty or help from me.  All I do is reunite him with his comforter (teddy) if he has lost it through the cot bars.  I have never had to do shush pat, PU/PD or gradual withdrawal or any such thing and I am loathe to start now.

So what do I do?  I am pretty sure the cause of the waking and screaming is teeth.  He is dribbling lots in the day, off his food (eats less and chews for ages), clingy, grumpy and - in his mouth - I see  both a first molar and canine tooth. 

But how long will this last?  And how I can I reduce the length of the screaming episodes?  It doesn't seem to matter if I give him ibuprofen as soon as he wakes, later or not at all.  It's always at least 1.5 hours of noise!  Also does anyone have any ideas as to how I can prevent him losing his comforter through the cot bars?  It is annoyingly small but he is very attached to it! 

If anyone has experienced this or similar and has any advice or even reassurance, that would be great.   I am expecting no 3 in October and so could do with some sleep sooner rather than later.

Thank you

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: 13 month old - night screaming and teeth
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 19:39:55 pm »
Hello Darling,

(Hugs) and sympathy to you and DS. His routine looks good. DS had more or less the same routine for a long time but a 13 hour day not 12 so maybe that is something to watch, but I'm not convinced it's routine related TBH  :-\. Can you tell me when he wakes in the night does he seem as though is awake  ??? I am wondering whether he is suffering night terrors as they can be loud and very lengthy.

Vicki.x.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 20:34:01 pm by Sammysmammy »

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 20:21:46 pm »
We have a cot wrap on LJ's cot which is like a bumper, but 'safer'; bought it when she was a baby. This keeps things in the cot.

xxx

Offline magicmoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 23:21:39 pm »
He is very much awake:( he will sit up, even stand up if I go in. 

He slept through last night and was a lot lot brighter in the day today so i was hopeful for tonight but he woke screaming at 1130pm and is still going strong despite having his comforter and ibuprofen.  It has been 50mins so far....  Will this never end?!?

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:08:18 am »
Hello Hun,

Aaah what a shame. If he is fully awake I don't think it is night terrors then. I think you are right, it sounds like it is down to pain. Only thing is I would expect him to calm down after the medication had kicked in, so I am just wondering if there is some other pain going on which may be stronger than teething pain. IIWM I would have him checked over by the Doctor and have his ears etc checked just in case. Our DS Sam was teething and NW screaming and I missed an ear infection until a BW recommended having them checked by the GP, so it's always worth an appointment, to be sure.

(HUGS) Hun, I know it's awful to see your little angel like this and also really hard work in the middle of the night  :'(