Author Topic: Supplementing bfing  (Read 958 times)

Offline timmysmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Supplementing bfing
« on: July 13, 2012, 21:56:22 pm »
I've recently discovered my supply is down, and though working for the last two weeks to get it up, my lo is eating all the time!  I'd like to try supplementing with formula until I get this all figured out.  I have no idea how much formula to offer!  Last night I bf and then offered a bottle and she drank 5 oz.  I've been offering 4 oz today after bf and she is downing it.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Supplementing bfing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 18:16:52 pm »
If it were me, I'd try to go with the bare minimum, especially if you're hoping to keep BF for a while longer.

LOs often find it easier to get milk from a bottle and don't get the "full" signal so readily, so can look like they're still hungry or guzzling feeds when in actuality they've had sufficient but don't realise it yet.

Does she seem satisfied after 4oz if you offer that?  Could you give her a few minutes to see how she goes?  You can always make up a bit more if she really is hungry then.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Supplementing bfing
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 18:19:15 pm »
Having posted, I've realised you have another thread going where you're getting some great advice already, so am going to lock this one.  If anyone wants to give any further input, they can do it here - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=233454.0;topicseen
*** Amanda ***