Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 19104 times)

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2012, 14:35:07 pm »
One doc recommended to me, if you're safe to drive, you're safe to bf xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2012, 17:10:22 pm »
That's a good point Shivi :) I might have one small glass tonight - would be my first since January!

I haven't pumped today as I was in a rush this morn to go and collect ds1. I've been quite sore feeding today, ds2 is very windy and squirms at the breast while feeding so he is sliding down my nipple a lot and I'm having to re-latch him :( also, when he is latching on he is moving his head about a lot and getting annoyed and then 'grabbing' my nipple and then I have to re-latch him again!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 18:04:09 pm »
My MW also said a glass of G&T or wine is fine, a small amount is filtered through the milk anyway especially if you feed just before drinking it to minimise any going to baby :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 20:25:31 pm »
I've been quite sore feeding today, ds2 is very windy and squirms at the breast while feeding so he is sliding down my nipple a lot and I'm having to re-latch him  also, when he is latching on he is moving his head about a lot and getting annoyed and then 'grabbing' my nipple and then I have to re-latch him again!
Hugs. This sounds a lot like what DS was doing. Have you tried baby-led attachment? I haven't found a great link that I like enough to post but if you google it, you'll get a general idea. It really helped us - I didn't find it til DS was about 6 weeks old though.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2012, 01:36:30 am »
I just googled (nosy) this is what Z and T did straight after they were born. I didn't even realise it had a name.
Kelly, is there a position that he doesn't do this on? I found cradle position the worst for slipping etc. does lyng down make it easier? Or foot all hold? (Lots of pillows though!) x
***Sara***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2012, 01:54:06 am »
One doc recommended to me, if you're safe to drive, you're safe to bf xxx

this is my approach... I also heard that drinking WHILE feeding the baby is the best as it's longest till the next feed ;D Probably doesn't look the best though!! (I don't think that i actually did that myself... not that i'm judging others- go right ahead!)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:39 am »
Lol Katy, I was going to post that but then thought maybe I shouldn't. This is why I heart u :-*
***Sara***

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2012, 02:10:40 am »
I also heard that drinking WHILE feeding the baby is the best as it's longest till the next feed  Probably doesn't look the best though!!
All true ;) Would look a little wrong to be BFing and drinking a wine at the same time though :P

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2012, 03:10:41 am »
Probably doesn't look the best though!! (I don't think that i actually did that myself... not that i'm judging others- go right ahead!)
LOL, is it really that bad because I KNOW I've done that.  :)

Kelly, if you skipped pumping, it could have been that your let down was especially strong at the next feed because of engorgement.  When you pump regularly, your body produces for that time, just like it would for a regular "feed" and reacts accordingly when you skip it. 

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2012, 19:50:29 pm »
Weird day today!! Ds2 was feeding well until lunch time, he would not latch on, I spent 20 mins (in a cafe) trying to get him latched etc. eventually I have him to DP because we were both getting frustrated and ds2 was sick, it must have been the last feed (3hours previous) because it was all lumpy and some of it was yellow ??? I fed him again about an hour later and he fed fine.

I haven't been pumping every day and when I have been pumping, I haven't been doing it at the same time every day. I think I will choose one feed to pump at and stick to that. I know morning is the best but it won't work for me with school run etc.

I'm feeling less sore today when he latches and starts sucking :)

Also, how would I know if I have an over active let down? I'm not sure how I would know?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2012, 19:55:41 pm »
This article is great with lots of symptoms and ways of alleviating a forceful letdown - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
*** Amanda ***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2012, 19:57:32 pm »
Hun how frequently are you feeding C? I'm only asking because Z was really tough to know when he was hungry, and refluxing/wind made it harder to tell too. I think I overfed him and it made things worse KWIM?

I copied this from LLL as it explains it well
When a mother has an overactive let-down, milk is ejected forcefully from the breast and in great quantity. If this happens early in the feeding, baby may swallow air and consume too much foremilk in proportion to hindmilk. When baby fills up on the watery foremilk, he may get a stomachache from the combination of filling the tummy too fast, swallowing air to keep up with the let-down and the laxative effect of a large quantity of lactose (milk sugar). Some babies are so upset by the forceful spray of milk that they refuse the breast and go on a nursing strike.
Quote http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvsepoct95p71.html
There's some tips for managing it here too. Kellymum has lots of info too.

Forceful Let-Down Problems

I can tell as when the LD comes if I take T off the milk squirts everywhere forcefully ::)

***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2012, 19:57:48 pm »
Posted with Amanda ;)
***Sara***

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2012, 20:47:35 pm »
this is my approach... I also heard that drinking WHILE feeding the baby is the best as it's longest till the next feed  Probably doesn't look the best though!! (I don't think that i actually did that myself... not that i'm judging others- go right ahead!)
I was known to do this - even have a piccie from my birthday party with a glass (tiny) of bubbly in my hand with Emma latched on! Woops!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:21 am »
I was known to do this - even have a piccie from my birthday party with a glass (tiny) of bubbly in my hand with Emma latched on! Woops!
LOL :) Thats a funny photo to show her when she grows up ;)

I had my first glass of wine last night. It was quite low alcohol content and was sparkling wine so I had it in a small champagne glass so I barely had any but it felt so nice. I fed DS2 at 8pm and DP fed him at 1am with a bottle of bm (i pumped at this time and dumped the milk just incase there was still alcohol in it) so I didnt actually feed DS2 until 5.30am :)

When I feed DS2, I can hear him gulping the milk and swallowing hard. This always happens near the start of the feed so I think I do have OAL. Should I try and take him off at this point and express some out until it calms down?

Amanda, that link was great :) Thanks. DS2 does seem to clamp down to slow the flow and that seems to contribute to my sore nipples.

I feel engorged today, its so strange, some days I feel empty and other days I feel full. I do think I need to get into a routine with pumping so Im pumping at the same time every day and my body knows iykwim?