Author Topic: 1 year old baby waking at night every 2 hours  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Satenik

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
1 year old baby waking at night every 2 hours
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:17:05 am »
Hi everybody....
 My daughter will be 1 year after 10 days. 1.5 months ago she was a sick and I breastfeed her more frequently, especially during the night. After that she started to wake up every 1-2 hours during the night and didn't sleep until I breastfed her. I decided to wean her and it is about 3-4 days that she is not breastfeeding (thinking that it is a related to breastfeeding). But she continuous to wake at night every 2 hours, just there is a little improvement that she goes to sleep back after I give her water or just pick up (it takes 15-40 minutes). And her schedule also changed and every time when she wants to sleep I have to walk a little bit and rock her about 5-10 minutes. I think I created sleep association-rocking and she need my help to sleep. Could someone give an advice what I can do?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 1 year old baby waking at night every 2 hours
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:35:29 am »
Hi, welcome to BW :)

Can you post your routine? Often if LO is waking that much at night, there's an underlying cause - pain, prop, under/overtired, etc.

Offline Satenik

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:16:15 am »
Firts I want to thanks to your reply....

I agree with you that something is wrang and i created a prop-  I should walk with her then rock to put her to sleep. As I understand from my lots of reading she should know how to sooth herself and sleep withouth my help. But I don't now how to learn her to do it because when I tried to leave a room she started to cry,  i can not listen her cry and I go back, pick her after some time put her and start to rock. Sorry maybe I am doing wrong but I don't have any other option... her cry becomes histerical and it makes me nervouse... So my scedule is below

6:30 am- wake up

7:30 am-breakfast

9:30 am- nap

12:00- lunch

3:00 pm- nap

17:00 pm-dinner

19:00 pm -bedtime

She is sleeping about 1 hour for the first nap, and about 30 minutes for second nap. Most of the time she refuses to have a second nap and it is too hard to put her to sleep. After waking she start to cry.  I tried to put her to sleep a little earlier but it didn't work and I thought that she is undertired that is why she recfuses to sleep. I decided to move to one nap but as a result she becomes overtired becouse she is not sleeping more than 1.5 hour (lasting 11:00-12:00) and it is too much for her do not sleep until 7:00 pm. Now I returt to above mentioned shedule. Totaly she is not sleeping more then 12 hours which I think is not enought. Do you have any gentle methode?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
I think you're right that her routine isn't working for her. Here are some sample routines to have a look at: Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+

We advise a gentle method called Gradual Withdrawal for situation like yours when baby doesn't know how to sleep independently. The basics are here: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE) and here: Teaching independent sleep - methods but its best to read a bit more about it in Tracy's book.

Here's an explanation of the stages involved in switching from 2 naps to 1: 10 to 12 mth old Sleep Gone Wonky, and the 2 - 1 Nap Switch

Offline Satenik

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:53:06 am »
Thank you very much...