Author Topic: Help! Nightwakings, seperation anxiety, etc!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline IttyBittyDitty

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! Nightwakings, seperation anxiety, etc!
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:34:52 am »
Hi Everyone!

I'm in serious need of some help. I have an 17 month old who from birth to now for the most part has co-slept with us or slept in her pack-n-play in our bedroom. I, being a new mom, had a hard time letting go...and now I'm paying for it. My husband and i tried having her cry it out a few times, but she would cry for a couple hours straight before we would give up. We've had a ton of big changes in the past couple of months which we think is contributing...a month ago we moved to a new home. At that point we slowly transitioned her to her own room. She had a few rough nights, but then we got her to where she was only waking once or twice. We would soothe her and put her back to bed. Then, we had our second child. And now ever since we were in the hospital things have gone down hill. She doesn't sleep through the night...in fact she screams in a high pitched shrill, as if she's scared, when we aren't there quick enough. We aren't able to lay her back down in her pack-n-play, without her waking and crying again. We tried the cry it out again, but again that lasted a couple hours before we gave up. Now we have both kids in our room....and the 17 month old is sleeping with us majority of the night. I'm desperately wanting her in her own room, but am obviously at a loss of what to do. My newborn is sleeping better than her! Please help!

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Help! Nightwakings, seperation anxiety, etc!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 19:09:54 pm »
Hi,
Let's see what we can do...could you post her current routine in EAS format so I can see wake up, nap time and BT.
BW does not support any form of CIO or CC as it can break the trust between parent and child. There are more gentle forms of sleep training which we can help you with.
I will post you a link for GW which is what we would advise if she has been co-sleeping and has not learnt to sleep independently. It may take a little while but it will be worth it!!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

Offline IttyBittyDitty

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 20:01:13 pm »
Okay thank you so much for your assistance.

Here is her Eat, Awake, Sleep Routine:

0600: Awakes on her own (pleasant, but needs attention pretty quickly)

0630: Goes to school

0700: Small snack

0800: Breakfast

0930: Snack

1100: Lunch

1130-1330: Nap

1400: Snack

1600:Snack

1700: Picked up from school

1800: Dinner

2000: Bathtime

2030-2100: Wind down time....(read a few books together, say our prayers, cuddle time)

2100: Falls asleep (while needing to be held by me or my husband)

2200: Moved into her pack-n-play

2330: Awakes with a shrill cry wanting to be held (once picked up, her eyes immediately close and she seems to be somewhat of a sleep....when we attempt to lie her back down, she immediately wakes up crying)

(Last night she didn't go back to sleep until 3am when we put her in our bed)

I took that quiz and it looks like she is a "Touchy" child.  It seems the Gradual Withdrawl Method would probably work better for her, but I'm not sure how I should start.  Do I move her back to her room, but stay in there with her? Do we continue to let her stay in our room and in our bed part of the night?  Thank you so much for your feed back.  I really appreciate it!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 20:06:16 pm »
If it were me I would move her into her own room now and start from there.
Her routine looks good until we get to BT....I would aim to have her asleep by 7pm. That means a 13 hour day with a 2 hour nap which is about right for her age. She is likely very OT from the super long A time from nap to bed.
I would def agree about GW...WIWO is really for lo's who can sleep independently but have gone off track for whatever reason i.e. teething.

Offline IttyBittyDitty

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 20:16:06 pm »
Ok great.  I'll plan on starting it tonight and see how it goes.

Thank you again for all your help.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 20:35:49 pm »
no problem, keep us posted xx