Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284690 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:48 am »
We are on day 3 of no morning BF. He isgoing downstairs with DH while I shower and not asking. He did ask this morning as he was still upstairs when I was undressing but I just told him I was going to shower and then we could go down to have breakfast and he was happy with that.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Solene

• Cupboard under the stairs
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2013, 08:03:47 am »
Cadan still rests his hand on my chest when he wants comfort even now at 3.5yo and he weaned at 26mo. I don't do anything.
When Colby puts his hand down my top and even inside my bra I do take his hand out but I try to do it by manoeuvring him to a different position for a cuddle rather than just taking the hand away, yk?

Yeah, I've tried thta, but his hand just goes right back. And that's what he always does, straight into my bra.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2013, 15:53:10 pm »
but honestly, he pops on there for about 10 seconds the first side- and often the same the second!! Sometimes he'll stick around for like 30 seconds on the second- but if ANYTHING distracts him he's DONE!!

Honestly, this is what it was like with DD towards the end, so you might be closer to a self wean than you realise :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:41 am »
7 mornings of no BF and Colby has tonsillitis. He woke burning up this morning and crying with a rasping cough saying "ow, ow, ow" touching his throat and asking "booba mama?" So I fed him even though it was 5.20. Then he wouldn't let me leave although I haven't stayed with him to fall asleep for about a year. I ended up getting in his cotbed and curling up (again not done that before) with him grizzling and changing positions every 5 mins but I think he did go back to sleep. Poor boy. I suspect I shall be feeding a lot today. Shame as I just got my supply down from being engorged every morning. You have to make allowances when they are sick though huh?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2013, 08:32:09 am »
oh poor baby!! Tonsilitis is awful!! Fevers are awful!! When hamish was sick with the fevers a few weeks ago he was just so awful while we waited for the panadol to kick in- you know, panting, lethargic, unsettled... I just couldn't help thinking how lucky we are to be fairly certain that he's not got something that's likely to get really serious! (I know possible- but rare) Totally you can make allowances when they are sick!! :-* Hope he is feeling better soon!

We'd had a good run of no milk at night for a few days- but then the other night he was up REALLY late- as in 9.30 :o (we had been out- Dh and I thought it was like midnight!) and he started crying before bed for milk- as in relly crying- so i gave in!! Hoping tonight no milk again...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2013, 14:01:56 pm »
Aww, Ali, poor little chap.  Those antibodies will do a world of good for him :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:09 am »
Well he only had the 3 BFs that day anyway, that's all he asked for, and then yesterday and today he didn't mention the morning BF so we carried on without it and did the lunchtime and BT one. He does still ask for those although sometimes the BT one is short and then he sits up and says "no more mama, bed." And he goes to bed.

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2013, 17:43:45 pm »
Hi all, haven't been here in ages but we seem to have hit the weaning process so I felt like reading through some posts here to feel a sense of camaraderie!  I know there's a weaning board but I felt like my posted was more suited to extended breastfeeding, let me know if not.

DD2 is going to be 2 years old on Wed.  She loves nursing, and was wanting it constantly until I managed to cut it down to 3 times a day in the last few months (wake up, before nap, before bed).  This made me feel more sane and okay with it.  Now I've been starting to feel like it's time to wean, but I know how much she loves it...

Anyway, yesterday she said to me, "your milk is all gone right mama?" ... I think it was her way of saying she wasn't allowed to nurse in the middle of the day but I kind of rolled with it as an opportunity.  I said yes, it's all gone, and we repeated this at bed time when she usually nurses.  She was very upset but she went to sleep after a few minutes.  This morning she was sad but pretty easily distracted and nap time just now was a couple minutes of crying but then passed out.

I don't feel quite as heart broken as with DD2, who was also 2, but I do feel sad.  Mostly because I know it's her special mama time, she just loves it.  My supply has been low so she was barely getting milk, just comfort.  She eats tons of food. I don't even feel engorged and it's been well over 24 hours since we nursed.  I just wonder if this is too sudden - it seems to be going smoothly so far but I wonder if I should keep the morning one going for a while and do it more gradually?  Anyone gone from 3 (short) BF's to zero?

Thanks for listening...

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2013, 18:38:30 pm »
Yes we did this. This is us exactly.  I would drop them all if you are ready. I think keeping one will confuse the issue if she thinks the milk is gone. I was also never engorged so guess they was min milk there anyway. B still likes to hold by boob if he is allowed 3 months on. But he still loves a nice cuddle. It is not the end of mama time.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2013, 18:40:14 pm »
We haven't had a morning BF for a few weeks now so that is definitely gone now. He always has the BT one but it is about 5-10 mins max these days. I only do the lunchtime one if we are home hich is about 4x a week. If he falls asleep in the buggy or car then we skip that one.

Colby also keps saying the milk is all gone and when I al where he says in his belly. I'm not getting a full feeling at all even when we miss the midday feed. When I try to squeeze the nipple after he says that though there is still creamy milk there.

Sparrow, well done on getting to 2yo again. I know a couple of people on here have stopped suddenly, I'm sure they will be on to tell you about it. I would just keep going now you have started or shemay come back to it with a vengeance and it'll be harder to wean soon if that is what you want. good luck.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 20:04:11 pm by *Ali* »

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2013, 21:16:07 pm »
Ali and K's mama, I can't tell you how reassuring this is.  Thanks.  Breasts are starting to feel full as evening comes on, but not in an engorged/painful way.  How does it work when you stop???  With DD1 I was 8 months pregnant so I had no milk by the time we stopped.  I figure I'll just stop producing - but where does the milk go that is sitting there in my breasts?  Seems like a silly question but I don't really know what's going to happen!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2013, 08:29:00 am »
Someone else may have a more in depth explanation but in short but gets reabsorbed by the body.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2013, 09:55:38 am »
And i think that there's something about the faster you take the milk out (through feeding/expressing) the faster you produce it... the less you do this the slower it goes... so if you stop it will slow down.. you could if you were feeling really uncomfortable try something like expressing a little say once a day for a few days and then cut it out? This might be a more comfortable way for you to go?

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2013, 20:17:53 pm »
What they already said :)

Only hand express if you're feeling uncomfortable, though and only enough so you feel comfortable again :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2013, 14:28:00 pm »
Hello ladies, I've not been on this thread before. My dd is 2 tomorrow and I feel it is the right time for me to start gently weaning her. She usually has a feed when she wakes in the morning, at nap time if we are at home (3 or 4 times a week) and at bedtime. She did start sleeping through the night for a month or so but we are back to night wakings again so there is often another feed in the night.
I think the first thing in the morning feed will be fairly easy to lose unless she wakes really early and it is too early to take her down for breakfast. But I think the others will be much harder to drop as she associates feeding with comfort before sleeping. At the moment if she mentions milk at any other time of the day then I offer her a cup if we are at home or distract her or offer her water if we are out. But if she asks in the night she is much more insistent and more upset if I suggest we just cuddle.
Any advice on best ways to do this gently would be great. thank you