Author Topic: Need Help!!!!! Please will take any advice. 12 month old  (Read 1009 times)

Offline wiggleworm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Our spirited Wiggleworm!!!!!!!!!!!!
Need Help!!!!! Please will take any advice. 12 month old
« on: December 29, 2012, 22:32:12 pm »
My son started sleeping through the night at 7 months. I am a advocate baby whisperer. This is my third child and I have done baby whisperer on the first two. But with this one it has been extremely hard to get him to do a schedule.

He has no medical problems. He did have acid reflux as a baby and now does not. He had ear infections and got tubes at 6 months and then finally started sleeping through the night after tubes. We do bedtime routine at 6:00 bath, books and then in bed by 7:00. He still takes the bottle at 6 and morning bottle and 6-7. He wakes between 6-7am. He eats great during the day. morning banana, cereal and then snack and then lunch. As for naps, he has never been a good napper. We try and he usually only naps 15-20-30 minutes. He cries as soon as you lay him down and then falls asleep in about 5 minutes. I have tried all different times to lay him down.
The other issue we have is that I have to transport my kids to school, 8:00, 11:00 and 2:30.
Since he is 1, I would love to just go straight to one nap. He has sippy cup milk throughout the day. Then bottle at night and morning. We are trying to transfer him to straight sippy cup. He also is not a picky eater. Any help or advice would be a life saver. He basically has no schedule besides food intake. and night time. The reason for this is because he won't take naps. He does tend to fall asleep in car or pass out in stroller since he is so tired from no naps.
Please Please any help!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Need Help!!!!! Please will take any advice. 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 19:00:30 pm »
What time are you back from the school run at 11am?

I used to pick my son up at 11.20, DD used to fall asleep in the pushchair and I'd just put her straight in her cot. We switched her to 1 nap when she was 1 because she was early waking and she handles long A times well. Our routine was wake up 6/6.30, nap 11.30/12 for up to 2 hours and then in bed routine starting at 6pm so in bed and lights out for 7pm.

Do you have a routine for putting him down for naps - is he an independent sleeper? Have you tried setting the nap for 11.30/12 and making sure you stick to it for at least a week?

Laura

Offline wiggleworm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:38:12 am »
Good suggestion. He is a good indpendent sleeper at night. Sleeps straight from 7-7. We lay him down at night and he is great goes right to sleep. I did your suggestion today and laid him down to nap at 11;45 and he only slept 40 minutes. I guess that is a start. I wonder how I can get him to stretch out to 2 hours? Any suggestions there?

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:04:21 am »
 Stick with it for at least a week to see how it goes! What you *should* find is that as he adjusts to the new routine he should lengthen his nap but you need to be really consistent for at least a week to see if it working.

You can try resettling him just before he wakes fully - so a bit of pat/sh or just putting a hand on him.

If he is getting really OT you may need to do bedtime earlier until he adjusts.

Laura

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 13:29:45 pm »
Hi just popping on to offer a bit of support :). My DD is also 12 months and we've been trying a set nap at 11.30 (earliest 11.15 if EW or very tired) for the last 9 days, though we've been transitioning for a couple of months now.  My thread is here: Trying a set nap at nearly 12m - bad idea? It's hard work sometimes but if your LO handles OT well, it might be great!  I find DD will crash and take a long nap every few days if the OT builds up so it's going ok for us so far.  Things that have helped are EBT (especially in first few weeks of transition), keeping a log so you can spot patterns and being aware of your LOs sleep needs.  Also resettling if at all possible and keeping LO in their room until 2h of nap is up, even if they aren't sleeping - either WIWO or sitting with them until it's time to get up.  You can also offer a late pm CN of 20 mins if the nap was really short and your LO will take it - may just hold off the OT monster!

Offline wiggleworm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:52 am »
Thanks!! I just read your thread. went to laying him down to one nap a day. Nap was 11:30 and he was back up by 12:15.  It seems like he is getting overtired. but he has a cold and I took him to the doctor and he has RSV and ran a 100.5 temp, so it is hard to try to work on his schedule for a couple of days. Thanks for your support.

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 20:49:45 pm »
I hope he's feeling better soon, poor boy (and Mummy!)

Laura