Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 214674 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2016, 20:05:15 pm »
Thanks MJ&N- at the moment 4 day feeds (wake up, mid-morning;mid-afternoon & BT) and sometimes 1 NF. I'm trying to replace the mid-afternoon feed first as we're always at home then so easiest to start with.

I'm finding it tricky to make up formula. I keep getting scalding water on my hands when I'm trying to shake it to mix it and then never know what the "right" temperature should be.

Are you thinking of weaning too?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2016, 20:12:49 pm »
It'll have to happen some time, at least for day feeds. With potential work travel I'd be better off weaning completely by the time I go back, but I can play the 'breastfeeding mother' card for a while, I think.

By this point we were offering formula in a cup and DS1 just decided one day to switch all his feeds to that. He was 10.5 months so I went with it.

Thinking dropping feeds and offering a snack and maybe a sip of cow's milk in a cup might work?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2016, 19:38:16 pm »
Thinking dropping feeds and offering a snack and maybe a sip of cow's milk in a cup might work?

I thought advice was formula or BM as a drink until 1yo?

I added HV about a snack with milk as I did that for DS about this point as he lost interest in day feeds. She took one look at DD and said she didn't think she needed any more solids! (She's 75th centile so a healthy weight IMO but obviously managing fine without snacks right now!)

More luck today here with the mid-afternoon feed. I've found that if I offer a bit of the formula on a spoon first, DD will then accept it in the cup. I'm wondering how long to wait before trying the mid-morning feed in the cup too.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2016, 21:01:08 pm »
Yes the advice in the UK is to wait until 12mo before offering cows milk as a drink
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2016, 18:42:57 pm »
Really, even sips in addition to feeds? Not replacing them.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »
It's fine as an additional, just not as a main drink xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2016, 17:39:51 pm »
That was my thought. I'm aiming for 25ml or less, just to get him used to the idea.

Offline KYKatydid

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2016, 00:35:48 am »
Currently working on night weaning DS. He is 14 months.

We were doing a feeding at a time, and knocked out his first feeding (which was around 9:30) and got him to midnight.

He is teething, and has regressed to 10:30 (DH still comforts him, but he is often up another time or two between then and midnight).

Once these teeth break through, we will resume working on it. I go back and forth between doing a feeding a time, and all at once with DH comforting him each time.

I would love to hear people's experiences. DS is on the spirited side, and is a very determined little guy. Getting him to midnight was not pretty.  :'(

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2016, 06:38:16 am »
I night weaned all of mine around this age cold turkey. I just told them boobies needed to sleep so there would be no more milk at night. Then either DH or I resettled at each waking.

If your LO is eating well in the day and you have no concerns about weight/growth then once he isn't sick or teething this is the route I'd take.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2016, 07:38:22 am »
Argh, I'm getting really worried about dropping a feed for nursery (he starts properly in 6 weeks but will be doing a short day once a week until then). This boy eats and drinks LOADS and still wants four feeds a day!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2016, 21:19:40 pm »
You could just wait and let him drop the feed when he is at nursery and you are not there. That is what my sister, KM did when she went back to work. If she wasn't there he didn't expect it and happily ate solids and drank from a sippy. She even continued with more feeds at the weekend. Your LO will be one then and 6wks is a long time in a baby's life so try not to worry.

Offline marjorie_kate

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
12 mo starting to refuse bottle at sitters... is this self-weaning?
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2016, 03:21:18 am »
Hi All-
My DD is just over 12 months and has literally only turned down nursing one time in her life (found out that night she was sick with a tummy bug so that explained it).  She's eating 3 meals/day plus snacks and seems like she is always hungry.  In the last month I've tried dropping her 3rd feeding (after 2nd nap) and just sitting her down for a snack or dinner depending on the time of afternoon.  She usually does okay with this distraction, but I have no idea what to do about her WU, after 1st nap and BT nursing sessions.  I'm mentally more ready than I thought to drop feedings but my daughter won't let me sit down with her after WU or naps at all or she pulls at my shirt and wants to nurse!  She doesn't have a word for milk yet, but if she did I know she would be saying it to request.
To complicate things she has a dairy allergy so I can't offer whole milk or goats milk.  She has spit out soy and almond milk as well as rice milk.  She just looks at me like I'm crazy to give her that in a cup!  She can drink from a sippy cup and is close to being proficient at a straw cup so I know it's not the cup. 
Just this week she refused a bottle of breastmilk while at the sitters on a day I work!  FIRST TIME EVER!  The sitter told me she just wanted the food the other kids were eating for lunch.  This is encouraging for me, but I don't know what my plan should be for when she's at home with me.  She's an only child so it's just me and her most days. 
I can feel my supply dropping with the 3 feedings/day, but I feel like that's probably natural.  My question is what are some strategies to drop the other daytime feed and eventually bedtime too that aren't just giving other food?  Our bedtime routine has always included nursing so I'm not sure how to tweak it so it's not so centered around nursing.  She often falls asleep at BT nursing, but recently has been more squirmy and I'll put her down in the crib awake so thankfully that's not a problem at the moment.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated- you all have saved me a few times in my mama journey so far!
Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2016, 22:53:14 pm »
Have a look at our Weaning FAQ and see which approach you feel might suit you best. Weaning

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2017, 22:07:32 pm »
Just checking in as I'm keen to wean my 2.5yo DD. I'm 18wks pregnant and it's so painful to nurse plus I don't fancy tandeming again like I did with my first two. I'd rather wean her now than too close to the birth so she doesn't link it with the baby's arrival. We're down to just morning and BT feeds anyway. I've been trying to distract her with getting up and going straight down for breakfast. She went 3 days in a row without the morning feed doing this but I do feed her when she asks. At BT I've been offering to cuddle her and sing to her instead.  Some nights she accepts and some nights she insists on boob. I've become strict about her mucking around though and tell her if she gets off that's the end of the feed and it's time to go in the cot. She was getting on and off for water and a toy and such at one point  Some nights she literally has 10 seconds and is done. I think due to pregnancy and skipping so many feeds my supply is very low anyway. I didn't get that full feeling even when I went 36hrs without a feed at one point this week.

I've also been telling her that the boobie milk only lasts so long and I think she's nearly drunk it all now. I feel a bit guilty especially when she told me to fill my boobs up again with milk from the fridge 😂 but it's just a white lie I hope will do no damage.

Anyone else weaned gently at this sort of age?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 22:09:08 pm by *Ali* »

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2017, 03:56:41 am »
I don't know if you remember, I had a really bad time when DS was 2.5 and suddenly BFing was painful again and I told him it hurt me (I kind of had to, I was in tears) and he chose to stop and gave me hugs instead. He did say he missed BF but he was ok. I know that's likely not as gentle and slow as you're perhaps intending but that's my weaning at 2.5 story.

Hugs, this pg hasn't been easy for you.