Author Topic: 30 hours whithout eating - introducing the Bottle.  (Read 1404 times)

Offline LoliB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
30 hours whithout eating - introducing the Bottle.
« on: January 31, 2013, 14:05:28 pm »
Hi! My baby is almost 9 month now. He already eats solid food 3 times a day. A few days ago his first teeth shown up. And now he doesn't want to eat solids and since the 5Th month refuses the bottle. The problem is that I don't have en ought milk to feed exclusively an 8 month old baby. Yesterday I started Tracy's technique of not breastfeeding him and waiting him to accept the bottle. The last time I breastfed him was at 5:30 am yesterday. Now it's 11 am ad in this 30 hours all he ate was 100mL (3oz) of milk. I don't know how long to keep this. Today I gave him some fruit, because I was worried about his health. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Wasn't it supposed to be over yet??   ???
Tanks for any help.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 14:28:54 pm by LoliB »

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 30 hours whithout eating - introducing the Bottle.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 23:35:23 pm »
Hi there

Is he drinking any other liquids?

Quitting BFing cold turkey unless for medical reasons isn't advised any more. Had Tracey lived we feel she would have updated her advice. 

Is there a reason you don't think you have enough milk?  Is this the reason you are stopping BFing or are you wanting to stop anyways?

I would think it is better to spend a few weeks gradually working on taking a bottle as opposed to not feeding as I would worry about dehydration.   Are you feeding formula or BM in the bottle?  What size teat are you using? 

Hugs xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:52 am »
Hi hun, just adding to Shiv's great advice -- as she said, there are much more gradual ways of working on this -- and with a 9 month old, you can also try having him drink from a cup of some sort as well.  Is he drinking water?  He needs to be getting some sort of fluids.  2 out of my 3 babies were hardly taking ay solids at 8 months and were surviving pretty much solely on breastmilk -- so unless there's some sort of concern over your supply, your milk should be enough to sustain him. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:38 am »
I agree with PPs, I'd feed him and work on a more gradual wean to the bottle.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline LoliB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 13:33:26 pm »
Hi, there! Thanks for your advice!
Well, actually my plan was to introduce the bottle so I could give him more milk. But I want to keep Bfing him until he is 1 year old. And of course he is drinking some water too! The problem is that in the last 20 days he started refusing the meals and wanted just breast. And then started crying because he wanted more and I didn't have. In addition, his doctor is always worrying about his weight, and wanted to introduce formula when he was 5mo. But I insisted on Bfing exclusively until his 6 months. Now he weights 17 pounds but he has 28.7 inches (sorry if I got the metric system wrong... I'm not american...), so he is thin.
In the last 2 months I tried giving him milk with spoons, straws, sippy cups, normal cups... he simply won't drink it. At the days I'm lucky he drinks 1 oz at most. But never at the bottle.
Yesterday I gave him 2 meals and 2 fruit meals (and water). But re refuses milk. So I'm planing on breastfeed him tonight if he keeps like this.
Any other ideas??? Thank you so much!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 19:21:18 pm »
The problem is that in the last 20 days he started refusing the meals and wanted just breast
Is he teething?  Has there been some sort of food that upset his tummy at all that might have put him off of solids?

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 19:37:58 pm »
Now he weights 17 pounds but he has 28.7 inches (sorry if I got the metric system wrong... I'm not american...), so he is thin.

hmmm, my DD weighs about the same and is a similar height. At our last checkup a week ago the Dr said she wasn't worried about her weight at all (I was) because she isn't that much underweight but is developing well.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 20:02:51 pm »
It does sound a bit like either he's possibly coming down with something or is teething or just needing the extra comfort that a BF gives.

Something to bear in mind is that the more he feeds, the more you body will produce milk, so supply may seem low for a day or two, but will pick up to fit in with what he's doing.

I believe it's quite common around 8/9m for there to be a bit  of a solids regression.  It may be that given a few days things will have got back to something resembling normality.
*** Amanda ***