Author Topic: My 3 month old refuses to take a bottle  (Read 940 times)

Offline Nicole O

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 10, 2013, 20:25:32 pm »
I have been trying to get my baby to accept an expressed bottle since she was 4 weeks old. We had limited success for the first month -50 ml taken on the odd occasion but the after 8 weeks she simply started to refuse the bottle. We have tried different bottles, different teats, my husband tries the same time every evening after her bath.  I have tried during the day with no success and we have now run out of ideas.

I am due to go back to work in 7 weeks. She doesn't let the bottle into her mouth - she uses her tongue to stop us putting it in. I should also mention that she will not take a pacifier either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: My 3 month old refuses to take a bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58:25 am »
There is lots of info here, if you haven't already tried everything on it: Breastfed babies and bottles

I will also say that with mine, the only thing that worked was consistency.  I had to offer the bottle before every single breastfeed (not night feeds, but all the daytime ones) for about 2 weeks, and then she finally started taking it.  If she refused, we just fed as usual.