Author Topic: Almost 9 month old.. need some advice!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline brodsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 06, 2013, 21:09:00 pm »
Hi there my little one will be 9 months next week. I recently had to give up breastfeeding due to him getting 6 teeth at once ( it was ROUGH) and he bites the whole time. I had a really hard time giving it up but it honestly hurt so much I couldnt keep doing it. So we are now formula feeding. He gets 6 oz every 4 hours with solid food in there as well. I have not been able to wean him off his dream feed yet, I would add extra milk to his other feeds but I can barely get that into him without him being so distracted. He also is waking about 530 6 am and I feed him there in hopes that he goes back to sleep. I am putting him to bed between 730-815. How do I drop the dream feed ... Second issue he is still napping three times a day is that ok... he wakes anywhere between 630 and 7 and is sooo ready for a nap about 930 10, naps for about 1 and 15 mins to 2 hours, has another nap about 100-2 ish for an hour or so, then another cat nap about 5 for 45 mins. I put him down because he is cranky, rubbing his eyes and self soothes himself to sleep within 5 mins of being put down. Thanks in advance of any advice:)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Almost 9 month old.. need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 21:21:00 pm »
Could you post a typical day for us in EAS format?  It makes it easier for us to see exactly what's happening :). Sounds like he may need some adjustments to the routine to get him onto a more age-appropriate two nap routine with some longer restorative naps.

Offline brodsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 16:14:54 pm »
Wakes at 630-7 Eat around 7 Drinks 8oz
A 7-9 930 ish ( usually also eats some fruit, rice cereal in this time)
S 930-11
E 11 6-8 oz bottle
A 11-1 (eats rice cereal and veggies)
S 1-230
E usually has a 4 oz bottle at about 3-330 and some finger food
A 230-5 by this time he is so fussy I put him down for another nap
S only sleeps for about 30 mins
530 eats veggies
615 bath
730-8 8-10 oz bottle and bed
1030 I nurse him while he is asleep
For the past two nights he sleeps until 5 am and i give him a bottle and put him back down

Offline brodsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 16:25:48 pm »
The other thing I am unsure about is some mornings he wont go back to sleep when he wakes to feed at 5, and maybe this is me being lazy but 5 is WAY to early for me. I have tried PU/PD for about 30 mins with no avail. Also I have tried not dream feeding twice and it was disastrous! He was up every hour and a half. I have tried to increase the amounts of his feeds ( a lot easier to gage now that I am not nursing) but he wont take any more.
Thanks for any advice :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 23:12:56 pm »
I would start pushing that second nap towards 2pm so he is having a 3hr A time. Hopefully he will still sleep to 3.30 or 4 and you can then skip the CN and do BT between 6.30-7. I think he is currently going to bed OT from such a long day and then waking early because of it. Then he catches up in the day but is OT again by BT.

I'd just keep the DF for now and work on that when the routine or more consistent.

Is he an independent sleeper or as you there with him when he falls asleep?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline brodsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 15:18:07 pm »
 K those are good suggestions I will see what I can do. When I put him down for a nap he is cranky and rubbing his eyes but I will try and distract him. He is in the phase where I have to hold him ALWAYS right now. Yes we are able to put him down and he falls asleep by himself

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 15:45:20 pm »
Great le us know how it goes
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011