Author Topic: 14 month old up for 2-2.5 hour chunk every night  (Read 722 times)

Offline BeanBoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 month old up for 2-2.5 hour chunk every night
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:21 am »
Hi

My DS is 14 months old and we are having real problems with night wakings. He wakes at any time between 12am and 2pm, cries and then seems tired when we go in, cuddles up and we put him down in the cot and he settles still but after about 10 mins starts wiggling around and then stands up in his cot again. We then have to say that 'it's sleep time and lie down sweetheart' which he does and we think he's gone off to sleep again and then he wiggles and gets up......this goes on for 2 to 2.5 hours every night. Some key points are:

1) He goes off for naps and bedtime fine, awake when we leave the room.
2) I think he is transitioning from 2 to 1 nap. If he has any more than 10-15 mins in the morning then he either only sleeps for 1.5 hours in the afternoon or fights his nap and doesn't get tired until 4ish which isn't great for bedtime. He usually has 2 hours nap in the day just after lunch (usually 1-3)
3) He has suffered from early morning wakings from 5.5 months as we should have weaned him early but didn't on advice from the Health visitor, he therefore started getting hungry at night and wanting to feed more and then got into that cycle so we did some PI/PD which worked with no waking at night but ever since he has woken between 5-6 with nothing getting him back to sleep (except sometimes we give him his morning bottle and that sometimes gets him back off).
4) He's been really ill with a cough that has lasted about 7 weeks and sleep has been very disturbed but seems to be much better this week with much less coughing, which is why I don't understand why he is still waking.
5) We are really, really desperate for sleep. This is really impacting on us and even though he seems really cheerful in the day I just can't believe he's not tired with the lack of sleep he is getting. I'm totally confused as to whether he is over tired or under tired as he's never seemed to have needed as much sleep as the norm.

Please, please can anyone give any advice.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 14 month old up for 2-2.5 hour chunk every night
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:46 am »
Moving you over to Sleeping for Toddlers :)

I suspect he could be undertired at bedtime. What's his routine?

Have a read of this: 10/11 month old sleep gone wonky? Read this first! - it might give you some ideas.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 14 month old up for 2-2.5 hour chunk every night
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:54:31 am »
Sweetie I"m going to lock this thread because I see you already have an advice thread going here on the same topic. It's much better for you and for other posters if we keep all the advice in the same thread: Re: 14 month old up for 2-2.5 hour chunk every night