Author Topic: 16 month old wants bottle at night  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Acoetz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:28:35 am »
My 16 month old needs her bottle to fall asleep and to settle when waking at night (which happens at least 2 times and most nights even more!).  It seems like she is struggling with winds that I suppose is worsten by the bottle drinking.  I have tried rooibos tea...but she will either refuse or drink it but still wakes up frequently!    The last few nights she has been waking almost every hour.  She is teething.  But she refuses to be picked up.  Sometimes bring up a wind an settle...or after a big fight and crying takes the bottle and falls to sleep only to wake again.  Teething is probably making it wort but the nights that she has slept through since birth can be counted on one hand!
So I'm a sleep-deprived mother that needs urgent advise. 

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 16 month old wants bottle at night
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 13:02:17 pm »
This is an independent sleep problem. Have you had a look at any of the BW methods? If she's never slept independently, you're going to be in for a lot of crying, but we can help you and support you along the way. You need to start by giving her bottle at bedtime but then put her in her crib awake. Maybe brush her teeth or change her diaper after the  bottle if she is likely to fall asleep with it. It's really a bad idea to let her continue to have a bottle in her cot, it can be really bad for their teeth. At night, no more bottles. OK for the first couple of nights maybe give her one bottle but after that no more. Just sit next to her cot, stroke her back, pat the mattress - yes she will cry but she won't cry forever, she will eventually sleep, and after she has done it without a bottle the first time, the next time will be easier. :-*