Author Topic: Last BF of day for very tired baby  (Read 1083 times)

Offline frantastic20

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 25, 2013, 18:51:26 pm »
Hello there

I hope my question makes sense - I have trouble expressing so prefer to give all feeds direct from the breastaurant...  In the last 2 months we have started solids AND taught my 7.5 month old to self-settle for bedtime and naps.

I have a thread currently in the sleep section as we're having problems with this.  But I have a related problem with feeding.

Bedtime is between 6-7pm depending on when he woke/napped.  I give solids at 5-5.30pm and really want to give another BF before bedtime, but he's so tired that he always falls asleep if I try and feed in the run-up to bedtime.  If I keep unlatching him he will go into meltdown.  I can give him a bottle after his solids, but it takes me at least 2 days of pumping to get a 4oz bottle so I can't do this every day.  So most days he is having his final feed of the day around 4pm, which to my mind is too early.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We fed to sleep until he was 5-6 months old, and now he settles beautifully without it.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Last BF of day for very tired baby
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 18:11:07 pm »
What's the rest of your bedtime routine like?  I'm just wondering if you could switch something around so he's not quite so whacked by the time you're feeding again.
*** Amanda ***

Offline frantastic20

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 18:02:18 pm »
Hello!  We have solids around 5-5.30pm, then if we're going for a 7pm bedtime he'll have a bath at 6.15pm, then it's pretty much straight to bed! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Last BF of day for very tired baby
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 19:52:24 pm »
What if you feed straight after the solids down in the living room where it is noisy and light? Will he still fall asleep?

Mine both went through stages of falling asleep at BT, normally just after dropping a nap. I just put them to bed asleep if that happened. As they got more used to the A time and naps they stopped falling asleep and went down independently.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011