Author Topic: 14 month old - wakes up once at night for 1 hour  (Read 952 times)

Offline rockbrain

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 month old - wakes up once at night for 1 hour
« on: April 26, 2013, 18:46:39 pm »
Hi All -
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. My 14 month old daughter sleeps at 7:30 pm at night every day. She usually falls asleep pretty quickly. However, without fail, she seems to wake up once every night around midnight. She is just fussy when she wakes up and I usually end up sitting on her bed and soothe her back to sleep. I leave the lights turned off and I dont talk or play. I just put her down on her pillow gently and she goes back to sleep after fussing for almost an hour.  We tried the ferber method (leave and periodically check) but that did not work since she gets off the bed and starts to wander around her room. Also, she is not hungry or thirsty - she is just fussy. We are at our wits end here. Any help from any kind souls out there will be REALLY appreciated. Thank you!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: 14 month old - wakes up once at night for 1 hour
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »
Hi hon- I've moved this to sleeping for toddlers as your LO is over one!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 14 month old - wakes up once at night for 1 hour
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 15:40:38 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW! :)

I hope we can help you find a better way to help your DD sleep through the night. Just so you know, we here at BW don't agree that controlled crying or the Ferber method is a good way to help your baby learn to sleep independently, and that it can lead to some trust issues for LOs, so you may need to be gentle on your DD for a little while to reestablish the fact that you won't leave her.

If you'd like to try a gentler method, this is the place for you :)

Could you clarify a couple of things for me:

1. Is your girl in a big girl bed?
2. What does your day look like? Does DD have one or two naps and what time?

I think the best method of sleep training for you will be gradual withdrawal but I want to make sure you don't need a routine tweak first.
~ Naomi ~