Author Topic: Help! 12mo still waking constantly at night  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Michmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 12mo still waking constantly at night
« on: June 20, 2013, 22:49:06 pm »
Hi,

i am hoping someone can shed some light on what might be going on with my son. He is 12mo and has never slept great at night. Some nights he can wake every hour after 12am! He is a brilliant sleeper during the day, self settles and has 2 naps.

7am wakes
9am 1-1 1/2hr nap
2pm 2hr nap
7:30pm bedtime

When I put him down at night he rarely fusses and falls straight to sleep. If he wakes before 12am he seems to be able to settle himself down. I only go to him if he is clearly upset and I do not pick him up when he wakes, I just settle him in the cot and then leave the room. He usually goes back to sleep but then wakes again an hour or so later? I wonder if something is upsetting his tummy or if it is separation anxiety, I'm just not sure. I am so tired and have a four year old so catching up on sleep during the day is hard. He is teething but it has been going on for 12 months now so I don't think it is that.

My doctor has us trialling a fructose free diet but that does not seem to be doing much.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks for reading

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Help! 12mo still waking constantly at night
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:33 am »
Hi there, I have moved your post over to Sleeping for Toddlers as your LO is over 1yr.

It looks to me like he's getting too much daytime sleep to sleep the whole night through without waking.  Have a read through this link and let me know what you think... From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Do the NWs get better at all if you give pain meds for teething?

My doctor has us trialling a fructose free diet but that does not seem to be doing much.
Any particular reason for trialling fructose-free?  Does he have other food allergies? 

Offline Michmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:46:30 am »
I have been thinking that he sleeps a lot during the day. It is actually his 1st birthday today so I thought it was a bit early to go to one sleep. I will have a read of the link though and maybe it's time to start moving him. 

The doctor thought that it may be fructose malabsorption because he gets terrible belly pain when he eats wheat and sultanas. He is also allergic to egg.

Offline Michmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:47:28 am »
Pain meds do not seem to help  :-[

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:44 am »
It is actually his 1st birthday today so I thought it was a bit early to go to one sleep.
No, he won't likely be going to one nap soon, but you do need to start limiting one nap and begin the transition to one nap, as he's just getting too much daytime sleep.  The average age for going to one nap is anywhere from 12-18mo, with most transitioning right around 15/16mo.

The doctor thought that it may be fructose malabsorption because he gets terrible belly pain when he eats wheat and sultanas.
Poor little guy! :(  You are always free to post on the Food Allergy board if you'd like some support.  Food Allergies  There are lots of moms here who have been through the ringer with their LOs and food allergies.